Ruger Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am abnormally jolly today, as Monday is the beginning of our Deer season!!! Which means that 700,000 (sometimes even as many as 1 million) hunters will be going afield, hoping to fill the freezer and hopefully get another mount for the wall. I will be heading out into the fray with my M77 in .270 Winchester, so 'dem Deers better be extra cautious.... wouldn't want a 150 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip hiiten em now would they???:eek: Even if I don't get something (I'll sure be trying!), it will have been a good time and a good experience, and that's all that matters..... Sort of.;)

·
Registered
7,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hello all. Hasn't been quire the season I envisioned to say the least. We have spent about 75% of our time on public land and 25% on Private land, and haven't been seeing much, other than hunters (plenty of them, LOL). I have hunted EVERY day and night, not missing more than the 10:30-1:30 hours of the day and have seen just 6 deer!!!! Last year, by this time I had seen 27 deer! BIG difference, but the difference is we lost permission to hunt one guys land that was filthy with deer, because my dad shot a wicked big 8 pointer there 2 years ago and he apparently got jealous??? Either way everybody is saying around here that there are more hunters and less deer this year, and not much shooting.

From what I'm hearing, people aren't seeing many deer in this Lebanon county area of PA, but are seeing much better deer numbers outside of this tri-county area. This is my 6th season and my most patient season, and it has been my worst season so far!!! Go figure!

I will be hunting every opportunity I get to get that Buck.......... I'm wearing my Buck 110 knife for good measure as well......

·
Registered
7,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Good Hunting.:) Nailed a small buck (140#, 6 point) last Sunday. He should be tender and is being turned into roasts, steaks and burger as I type. I'll be hunting with my RH this week to try for the remaining 2 does on my license. If I don't get them by next Saturday, its back to the crossbow until January. Be careful out there. That many hunters with high powered rifles sounds crowded.
I am careful, believe me. I had a round land within 25 yards of me last year, and my dad had a round strike 15 feet above his head in a tree last year! We are VERY careful.

·
Registered
7,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
This is a little off subject but the numbers 700,000 to 1,000,000 gun-owner-hunters brings to mind the UN Treaty the president is thinking of signing to make all of us eventually turn in our rifles and pistols and revolvers. Does this bother anyone as much as it does me? And how in the world are they going to get it done? I am not sure the sheriffs in rural Oklahoma will participate in a weapons roundup. The fighting chicken issue is a good example of what happens. It was made illegal to raise fighting chickens for the purpose of selling them and/or fighting them. Southeastern Oklahoma is still full of operations that raise/sell/fight chickens and the sheriffs have looked the other way. How is it in PA, or any other state for that matter?
1/4 of the NRA members live within PA's borders to give you a taste. James Carville rightfully said that PA is Philly on one side, Pittsburgh on the other, and Alabama imbetween. We are church-goin, gun totin, lead slinging hunters round these parts ya hear? That's about right for my area, and we're quite happy with it that way.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.