Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I decided to get a set of the Pachmayr grips from shop ruger dot com. They came in yesterday.

While I like the design (a lot), they are so cheaply made I am dumbfounded. They simply don't fit. There is a 1/4" plus gap in the grip at the front just below the trigger guard where the two sides fail to meet, even remotely.

I thought I'd bring this to everyone's attention because if you are getting them for a holiday gift for a friend, they look really cheap and the gap is very irritating. Spend your money elsewhere.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
I love the Pachmayr Diamond Pro on my LCR357.

·
Banned
3,158 Posts
Plastic smashtic!! Or, rubber shmubber!!

·
Registered
971 Posts
I, for one, was never impressed by Pachmayr. I prefer wood grips, call me old fashioned.

·
Registered
544 Posts
My Redhawk was wearing a Pachmayr rubber when I got it. I put the wooden factory originals back on, then switched to the Hogue Monogrip, which has been my favorite. I had exactly the same poor Pachmayr-fit at the front below the trigger. This is the full size grip frame.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
That is surprising. Maybe something (tooling, design, materials?) doesn't translate well to the larger frame. Like I said, my LCR Pach is just about perfect for my needs and I have one on my J-frame Model 36 that is great too.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Pachmayr is not the quality they were. I still have a set for a S&W 686 from the early 80's which are a much better fit than current stuff for my GP.

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
They are nice grips, but that gap just reminds me of a fat man with his zipper down after a huge Thanksgiving meal. Unsightly to say the least.

Shopruger dot com still hasn't responded. My point to them was why am I supposed to pay shipping for both the original shipment plus shipment back to them when they sent me a defective part. That just is not fair in my humble opinion. I'm sure they're busy this time of year so I'll give them a few more days.

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
I have the Diamond Pros on my GP100 and like them. I hate the Presentation grips. I had a set for my Blackhawk and they fit just as you described.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I bought a set of pachmayr's for a gp 100 back in the early 90's, they fit and felt great, had to sell that one then bout 03 I finally got another gp 100 and bought another set of pachmayr's and had the same ill fit as you described. I returned those and bought a set of Hogue monogrips and have put those on every revolver I own. Nothing beats a Hogue in my opinion.

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The Hogue Tamer grip is my favorite on the GP100. Fits my hand as if they used it to mold the things. I should have stuck with that.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I am surprised.

I wonder if this is just a one off, John.

With my size hands, almost all grips just don't have enough to hold on to.

From the first gun I bought, a Security Six when they came out (remember those relatively TINY grips?), I bought Pachmayrs for it and at time was only option.

Ever since, all of my handguns that needed help in grip size, I have Pachmayrs on.

Not out of brand loyalty. It's that I have tried Hogues, Talon, etc. Pachmayr just fits better for me.

That it is about half price of others is just bonus.

Doc

·
Registered
42 Posts
I ordered one for my Police Security Six. Has a gap in front. Sent them back and was told they are having a design problem. Like they just started making grips??? I'm still waiting for them to put the $$ back on my credit card.

Phil

·
Registered
574 Posts
Have. Used pachmayr grips off n on for as long as I can remember. They always fit well. I recently tried a set of Diamond Pro's on my round butt K and L frame Smiths. Nice grip, but a bit large. I feel I have to stretch for the trigger on the guns now. Too much padding in the backstrap area. I have medium sized hands. May or may not keep them. Ymmv

1 - 20 of 30 Posts