Ruger Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, long story short.......

My brand new stainless New Blackhawk 9mm convertible Blackhawk has become one of my favorite guns......

So, being a Pachmayr fan, and being newer to Ruger SA's (longtime DA revolver shooter) I wanted to enhance the "utility" of my 9mm Blackhawk at the range. Bought a set of brand new Pachmayrs, won an identical 2nd set on FleaBay by accident, so now I have 2 sets.....

Tried to put the Pachs on my 9mm stainless frame Blackhawk tonight, wouldn't fit.

Luckily, I have a 1980 production .357 Blackhawk XRN-3RED framed Blackhawk shooter grade gun that needed grips, so problem solved there. With the new Pachs and the Trapper spring kit that's been on that gun for a couple years, the hammer cocking action is super light. The gun lights off any primers still, and these grips are a nice utilitarian upgrade, feels like I can fire this gun as fast as a DA in aimed fire now.

Love the feel, looks and handling of the Blackhawk Pachs, but it seems, there are no Pachmayrs to fit the new Stainless frame Blackhawks/Vaqueros? Or I just can't find them?

I may have to break down and try something else, Hogues look like hammered crap to me on a Ruger SA, but there aren't many options for rubber. I don't even know if the Hogues would fit. I'll keep investigating, Pachmayr isn't the best at answering Emails.

The factory wood grips look great but are no good for 300+ round range sessions, when hands are sweaty, or when it's cold. Not that 9mm has a ton of recoil, but after 30 minutes to an hour of shooting it's nice to have something to hold on to other than paper thin wood grips. I didn't buy this gun to look at:)

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Just my opinion, but putting Pachmyers on a SA gun should be illegal.

If you have slippery grips (been there) convert to checked grips or imitation stags or whatever but please don't embarrass your Blackhawk by putting rubber grips on it.

Pachmyers on a Vaquero should not just be illegal, it should be a hanging offense.

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I feel in a similiar fashion, but I figured once I put the 9mm cylinder in the Blackhawk, and sold the .357 cylinder, any remote trace of the gun being a "traditional Single Action" went out the window and the gun became a pure "range fun gun"........I didn't feel a 9mm Thumb Buster "needed" wood grips anymore:)

I do agree, any Thumb Buster with fixed sights needs to keep a "traditional" grip on it. When I get my .45 LC-ACP convertible Vaquero, it will be getting a set of White Pearl Kirinite grips, to keep it looking like an SA but having a good grip. The only reason I am putting Kirinite on it, is also because as a .45 ACP, any need to be "retro" with it is pretty much gone.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Rubber grips on a single action revolver is an abomination and a direct threat to the very existence of mankind.
It strains the very fabric of the space-time continuum and could very well cause the complete destruction of the entire universe.

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hahahahaha that gave me a late night chuckle:)

Someone better tell Magnum Research to stop putting Pachs on those hand cannons lol

I have sinned, at least for now, I do want to put a set of Hogue Woods on that Blackhawk .357......but I don't have an extra $80 burning a hole in my pocket.....

·
Registered
846 Posts
Rubber grips on a single action revolver is an abomination and a direct threat to the very existence of mankind.
It strains the very fabric of the space-time continuum and could very well cause the complete destruction of the entire universe.
I'll tell you what is a REAL abomination is a Mossberg "Tactical" lever-action rifle....the designer should be killed and then executed. Never have I seen such an assault to the eyes as that gun. P.U.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
I have pachmyers on my single action rugers for comfort.
I could maybe understand that if you were at the range shooting a lot of full=house .44mag loads.

But not on a 9mm.

JBnTX, you have given me new material for my signature, thank you!

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
I (never a fan of Pachmayr's) finally came around with their introduction of the Diamond Pro series of grips. The best of the Hogues (one piece solid grip) with their very own formula of rubber overmold and to mount, no longer is needed a stirrup and all that hardware, nope just slide the grip home and insert a simple grip screw and you're done. Making for a much more compact grip. Darn handy when it comes to a J frame or your SP101 (also made my short height barrel studs in my safe, high enough to hold up the guns with those grips). That's all double action stuff however.

I too come from a SASS background and feel the same abomination when rubber meets single action regardless of caliber. And if you're getting by by saying that it has already left the "ol time" station when it doned the 9mm cylinder or later the 45acp mentioned for your other single action, then just who was it that changed the cylinder thus affecting the rotation of the planets and stability of the universe as we know it. If God had not made everything known and unknown of all that is, then this may be the last straw for things as we poor humans understand. God will certainly have to work overtime to correct this ripple let me tell you.

There are now about eight I think it is, companies all under the umbrella of Lyman products, whom itself is under the umbrella of a parent company as well. But when it comes to dealing with the "sporting" companies like Pachmayr, then a call to "LYMAN's" customer service is what you need to do. They are very helpful in determining the problem and able to find the solution to your fitting needs. All that and when a grip is figured out, they have a retail portion of the company that can sell you the very same identified grips right there on the phone. That's how I acquired the numerous double action Diamond Pro grips that I was after. I couldn't find the one for the SP191 and no distributor or retailer had them listed, but Lyman did and they sold me a pair on the spot. Best of luck to you and leave our universe alone please. Smithy.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I have no love for rubber grips on a single action either, but a set of pachmayrs for a saa should fit or be damn close. Depending on how they mount may need the located pin holes in the grips drilled for position. these are a modified set of Saa stags on a 44 special flattop.

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I think the Earth was tilted off it's Axis when pistol calibers started appearing in Single Action revolvers........or maybe it was when Colt made those target-sight versions of the SAA......

But your eyes are gonna bleed, if I post the pic of the 9mm Blackhawk now, with the Hogue rubber grips I "force fit" onto it tonight.........picked them up at a gun show today, and they "pretty much" fit the gun, and they feel GREAT:) That thing is gonna be a 9mm shootin' machine now:)

The original Altamont grips can rest comfortably in the gray case while I blast 1000's of rounds of steel case 9mm through this Blackhawk.....

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yes..........when I get my .45 ACP Vaquero 5.5" it will keep it's Altamonts on.........

Anyway, now that we're done with the man card throwdown "I shoot .454's with cactus-skin grips on my SBH" stuff lol

My original point, is no "utility" rubber grips exist for the New Vaquero - New Model Blackhawk Stainless XR3 grip frame. I took the Hogues off of the 9mm Blackhawk, and put them on a shooter-grade .357 6.5" Blackhawk, and the 9mm Blackhawk remains grip-less.....

The Pachmayrs fit the stainless grip frame with the grip pin removed, but the screw will not go past the mainspring. The Pachmayrs are a no-go.

I may have no option BUT to keep the original wood panels on, unless I can coax Altamont to make a set of those "extended Target" wood grips to fit the New Stainless XR3 - New Vaquero grip frame.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts