Ruger Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Paddle stock question

Was wondering besides the 243 22 250 n 308 is there other cals that fall into the S/A action stock category? Also, is my 22 mag or 17 a s/a stock or is there a rim rifle stock besides L/A and S/A stocks? thx

·
Banned
3,167 Posts
Rimfire cartridges like 22long rifle, 22mag, 17HMR, and 17WSM have their own actions. There are 3 independent action lengths for rimfires as well, standard for 22LR and 17HM2, Magnum for 17HMR and 22WMR, and 17wsm length actions.

There are also other different lengths of centerfire actions. Short action, long action, and magnum length actions are most common. Magnum length cartridges include any of the .375H&H full length progeny, like 458win mag and Lott, 416 rem mag, as well as .416rigby and other large cartridges in this class. 338lapua magnums are typically on magnum actions as well, as are some of the other long range anti-materiel military precision cartridges (cheytac's). If memory serves, the Allen magnums, Remington ultra magnums, and Gibbs magnums are all on mag length actions too. Of course, 50bmg actions are another size of their own, and AR-15's are a unique action length in their own right as well.

And not all short or long actions in each brand are the same length. In general, short actions will handle cartridges up to 2.800" long, whereas long actions handle up to 3.34", while magnum lengths tend to handle at least 3.6" cartridges.

There are a great number of short action cartridges beyond the 243win, 308win, and 22-250. I doubt I would be wrong to say there are hundreds of short action cartridges. 218bee, 22hornet, 17remington, 338federal, 284win (originally at least), 6x47, 7.62x39, 6.8spc, 300wsm (and other wsm's), all of the 308win family, 6.5creedmoor, etc etc etc. hundreds of cartridges... Similarly, there are as many long action cartridges available. Magnums are much less common - I would guess comfortably under 100, maybe under 50 magnum length cartridges in production, and there are only 5 current production (4 really) rimfires.

·
Banned
3,167 Posts
Thanks for taking the time to explain this to me. But I worded it wrong,was talking about L/A and S/A stocks.
Re-read my first answer to this thread - it still applies. Maybe I gave too much info and you got confused, but plainly - stocks only fit their appropriate action, and my response outlines what cartridges would fit in which of the 5-6 common action lengths....

1) 22 Mag and 17 HMR, like all rimfire cartridges, are NOT on short actions. They're on rimfire actions. A rimfire action does NOT share the same stock inlet shape and size as a short action. Yes - there is a specific rimfire stock - the M77/22 and M77/17, and their magnum counter parts use a completely different action casting and completely different magazine set up - they are NOT transferrable stocks.

2) There are HUNDREDS of cartridge offerings available on short actions and the same menagerie available on long actions, only a rare few cartridges can be had in either length. Short action cartridges are 2.8" or shorter, Long action cartridges are longer than 2.8" up to 3.34". If it's a 2.8" or less length cartridge, it's on a short action, if it's 2.8-3.34", it's on a long action. A short action does not fit the same stock as a long action.

As an example, ruger currently offers the STANDARD (blued/Walnut) Hawkeye in 5 short action cartridges and 4 long action cartridges. For all model lines currently offer bolt action models in 10 short action cartridges and 7 long action cartridges.

So what are you really wanting to know? It sounds like you're wanting to transplant a short action centerfire into your 77/22 or 17 boat paddle stocks - this will not be possible.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts