Ruger Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any one ever PAINT wood grips with Krylon ? Or would Testors model paint be better? You my ask 'why would anyone paint revolver grips ?" Well when I'm done with this project I'll post photos and it'll make sense to ya.:D

·
Registered
271 Posts
Neither holds up well. I've painted a lot of firearms and seen a lot painted with various methods during tours in Iraq and Afghanistan, and paint just doesn't hold up to constant contact with hands. If you don't mind it looking like an old wooden bannister in a public place, then go for it, but it won't likely stay looking nice. Some of the bake-on finishes like Duracoat or Gunkote may hold up better, but they still wore through on our weapons overseas.

·
Ed Mann
413 Posts
Eventually, moisture will get into the wood and "lift" the paint.

A stain or dye MIGHT work since they penetrate, rather than sitting on the surface.

·
Registered
6,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
painted grips

Thanks for your responses, and I'll take your advice. But somehow for this unique revolver project ( I'm trying to duplicate a famous old lawmans six-shooter), the grips need to have an old barn red painted look, and need to be lasting and durable. I'm researching what might have been used in the old southwest in the early 1800s to get the look. I'll keep at it:D

·
Registered
6,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
I think I'm headed the stain direction--somehow ( maybe someone can help) I need to use a stain that can darken with multiple coats. And then will take a "urethane type" finish:)
You might look into "Transtint". It's a highly concentrated wood dye that can be mixed into water or alcohol. For a reddish type grip, I mix a few drops of it into an ounce of alcohol. The alcohol evaporates and won't soak into the wood like water will. I have air brushed it on and used a regular brush. Either way works great.

The stuff is transparent and won't cover up any grain in the wood. You can mix it to any strength you want and it comes in many colors. You can also mix colors to make your own desired color.

TransTint Dye Concentrates 2 oz | Finishing Tints & Dyes

·
Registered
6,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
painted grips

You might look into "Transtint". It's a highly concentrated wood dye that can be mixed into water or alcohol. For a reddish type grip, I mix a few drops of it into an ounce of alcohol. The alcohol evaporates and won't soak into the wood like water will. I have air brushed it on and used a regular brush. Either way works great.

The stuff is transparent and won't cover up any grain in the wood. You can mix it to any strength you want and it comes in many colors. You can also mix colors to make your own desired color.

TransTint Dye Concentrates 2 oz | Finishing Tints & Dyes
Thankyou for the info. I'm gonna look into it:)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts