Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well after reading about so many people painting their front sight to get a better picture I bit the bullet and followed suit.

First I masked off the front sight like I was performing a surgery. Masked up the sides and on the top and all around the barrel. The trick I used to mask it up was just to lay a bigger piece on the side mash it down with my nail and the scrape the tape against the edge of the sight with my knife and the excess pulled right off.

Then I hit it with a few coats of Sally Hansen hard as nails Xtreme wear sun kissed orange:

I let it dry about 5 or 10 minutes in-between coats of paint. After sitting about an hour the paint is set and appears to be dry but I'll give it a day or two before I go shoving it in a holster or anything.

Here she is all finished up:

·
Registered
213 Posts
Painted mine florescent green. Easier to see against red target bulls. Also painted (with a sharpie) the rear sight notch.

·
Registered
754 Posts
I found nail polish to be too crispy and somewhat sensitive to gun oil etc. Lure/Jig paint has worked out and it more durable. A coat of white as a base helps the color brightness. So far so good. My 357 works well and my Kimber Carry Pro works great. Next is the .22 Mark II pistol and the Bisley Blackhawk.

·
Registered
400 Posts
I take it you can find lure and jig paint in Dick's and or BAss pro shops, is it like model paints.?

·
Registered
270 Posts
Bass Pro has the jig paint. I find nail polish with 2 coats of white and NYC nail polish in florescent orange from Wally World worked best for me. solvents have no effect on it but nail polish remover takes it right off.:D

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Some gun blaster or gun scrubber or something like that. I put it on a q-tip and wiped it down a couple of times. That's it.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Was just trying that on mine with Sharpie permanent marker and lighter fluid does a good job of removing any screw-ups(who me?) or to clean the sight entirely.:D

·
Registered
239 Posts
I got a paint from Michael's hobby store. It was paint you put on dishes and back in the oven at about 150 degrees. I used a hair dry to heat it up until I could hardly touch the barrel. I have had it on for a year and I cannot get it off.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I see others have had the same idea as me. The sights on the SP101 are hard to see.
Great ideas everyone !!!!!

·
Registered
141 Posts
Thanks!

Great stuff. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I used testors model paint found in any crafts store with a fine brush. front sight orange and rear sight black. The model paint hardens up and is resistant to wear and chips. For a dollar and some change one snall bottle will last a long time.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts