Ruger Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a meeting at a hotel inside the DFW Int Airport later this week. Hadn't even thought about it until now and I'm a little worried. I am NOT traveling by plane, I will be driving to the hotel for the meeting and staying there two nights.

Since the hotel is on airport property, does this affect my carry ability? Where could I go to get additional info?

More info if you need it. I do not want to leave it in the parked vehicle as my adult children will be with me who do not have a CHL, and they will want the vehicle so as not to be trapped at the hotel during meeting. Most of my luggage is camo type and screams gun owner so don't want to be searched if that is a possibility. There is a toll road that goes through the airport area that I believe is state owned, but may be federal. I also assume that even though this is within the airport borders it is still private property, and so I would be ok going from toll road straight to hotel. Just a lot of assumptions... I do not want to travel without my CCW if at all possible. Feel both duty and obligation to family and others but could leave in hotel room.

·
Banned
2,189 Posts
Check your state laws.

Here, you're good to go as long as the owner of the property doesn't forbid it.

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
Not familiar with the legal details, but IMHO, this time I would lean towards the 'safe road' and leave the gun at home locked up. The real purpose of your trip is not to be a defensive weapon carrier in a public place...but to share time with the family members with you, and conduct your business in what should be a low-risk area. Why worry about the legals on this one. Enjoy the trip and stay out of 'bad' areas.

Just my personal opinion.
AL

·
Double P90 Shooter
19,890 Posts
Shane,as long as your not going into the secure part of the airport or into a building that has the 30.06 sign you are good to go as far a carrying.A hotel is a hotel even if its on airport property.Just make sure there is no 30.06 sign present.To get the legalize go to the DPS website and read the CHL law handbook...

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Is it illegal to carry inside an airport? I thought it was illegal to carry into a secure area, firearms inside checked baggage is fine.
I don't know, I'm asking too.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
I'm not familiar with Texas law, but the following link is a good starting point for information:
Handgunlaw.us

However, I would not depend just on that. I would check other Texas sources as well. I'm sure some of our Texas members will chime in with more info.

·
Registered
17,454 Posts
In Texas you can carry, with a concealed license, all the way to the security check point.

·
Registered
590 Posts
If it's the same as here in Florida you shouldn't have a problem if the hotel is on airport property. In Florida the law states as a prohibited area to carry: 14. The inside of the passenger terminal and sterile area of any airport, provided that no person shall be prohibited from carrying any legal firearm into the terminal, which firearm is encased for shipment for purposes of checking such firearm as baggage to be lawfully transported on any aircraft; or

15. Any place where the carrying of firearms is prohibited by federal law.

I found this for Texas: (5) in or into a secured area of an airport. (2) “Secured area” means an area of an airport terminal building to which access is controlled by the inspection of persons and property under federal law.

You might want to check out this PDF file for the Texas laws: http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/InternetForms/Forms/CHL-16.pdf

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Mayor Al

I understand what you are saying and If I am better served doing that then I will. However I do have a little different views on carrying. Please don't take this as confrontation because it is not meant to be. The purpose is to spend time with my family but so could all of my trips out of the house with my CCW. I never venture into bad areas, part of normal safety, but at the same time not all confrontations happen in bad areas. You never know when a need will arise. I have never had to pull my weapon, don't plan on it, but I carry for the same reason I wear a seatbelt, just in case. I will be driving over 325 miles one way and spending time in the surrounding area after the meetings are over. Not carrying in a strange town, in tourist areas, is not something I am really comfortable with if I don't have to.

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
I carry where ever I can - period. So to me the only airport limits the gates after you go through the security check point.

In fact, I'm going to the airport tomorrow night to pick someone up. I'll be wearing then.

Don't go into bad areas? With all the shootings going on this week I'm not sure there are any 'good' areas. They're becoming so common that many don't even make the national news.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you for all of the help. I will not be running around inside the airport itself so no need to come up to an actual secure area by accident. The hotel is on the property but in a complete separate building so looks like I'm good to go. I will wade through some of the law links that are listed, I just know the language they use and how many times I will have to read through the gunk to try and figure out what I am looking for. Again, thanks for all of the help.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Don't go into bad areas? With all the shootings going on this week I'm not sure there are any 'good' areas. They're becoming so common that many don't even make the national news.
I hear you there, not too long ago our little town had the distinction of being ranked 9th on the nation's most violent crime list. Just a few days ago I heard on the local radio there had been 92 shots fired calls in the last 30 days. Good grief.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Not familiar with the legal details, but IMHO, this time I would lean towards the 'safe road' and leave the gun at home locked up. The real purpose of your trip is not to be a defensive weapon carrier in a public place...but to share time with the family members with you, and conduct your business in what should be a low-risk area. Why worry about the legals on this one. Enjoy the trip and stay out of 'bad' areas.

Just my personal opinion.
AL
Of course, this is the way it SHOULD be, but we all know with increasing relevancy that it is sometimes not. Also, if a person cannot or should not be a "defensive weapon carrier in a public place", then when can he?

·
Registered
7,096 Posts
My wife & I each have( both CCW's)1 of the locking cases that are TSA approved. (about$25) It has a cable to secure it in the car. You can get them with key or combo locks.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
I have a meeting at a hotel inside the DFW Int Airport later this week. Hadn't even thought about it until now and I'm a little worried. I am NOT traveling by plane, I will be driving to the hotel for the meeting and staying there two nights.

Since the hotel is on airport property, does this affect my carry ability? Where could I go to get additional info?

More info if you need it. I do not want to leave it in the parked vehicle as my adult children will be with me who do not have a CHL, and they will want the vehicle so as not to be trapped at the hotel during meeting. Most of my luggage is camo type and screams gun owner so don't want to be searched if that is a possibility. There is a toll road that goes through the airport area that I believe is state owned, but may be federal. I also assume that even though this is within the airport borders it is still private property, and so I would be ok going from toll road straight to hotel. Just a lot of assumptions... I do not want to travel without my CCW if at all possible. Feel both duty and obligation to family and others but could leave in hotel room.
I would ditch the camo luggage right away, unless you are using it for camping, hiking, etc. You don't ever want to advertise to anyone you may be packing. Concealed means concealed. Borrow some other luggage, or buy some cheap stuff at a thrift shop to use temporarily.

Unless your children are aware of your gun and/or have some kind of firearms training, DO NOT leave it in the car.

I know the toll road you speak of. I lived there for five years and have used the airport a couple of times. As far as I know, there are no armed guards waiting to search you or anything, but check TX state laws to be sure.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Just to try and cover ALL the bases, you could call the hotel ahead of time and ask if they have a policy for securing your firearm for you while you are there? That would prevent having to leave it in your car, unprotected.

Just my thoughts.......:)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.