Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do any of you guys have any experience with Para. I wanted one years ago, but just never did get it. I'm curious about their fit, finish, and service. Am looking at the PDA.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You're right, Bountyhunter, unless, of course, if the object you said display, actually belongs to someone else.....:)

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
pda's are slick looking little pistols.
The only para that i have handled and shot before was a officer size 3.5" barrel model single stack LDA model. That LDA trigger is absolutely fantasic. Fit and finish looked good to me. Only turn-off was back then, no ambi safety was available for the LDA.

That pda is gonna bit a light weight kicker---looking at the 45 or the 9mm?

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Probably the .45. I'm also looking at the Covert Black Carry, and Warthog. I'm just starting to look at the ultra compacs, so to be honest I haven't ruled any of them out. As much as I like SS/beautiful guns, I'm wanting this one for cc only. Since it's concealed, it don't have to be pretty, but it does have to be reliable.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Probably the .45. I'm also looking at the Covert Black Carry, and Warthog. I'm just starting to look at the ultra compacs, so to be honest I haven't ruled any of them out. As much as I like SS/beautiful guns, I'm wanting this one for cc only. Since it's concealed, it don't have to be pretty, but it does have to be reliable.
I neither own a Para nor have I ever handled or shot one. That said, all I have read about recent Para models has been bad. Complaints about fit, finish and materials plus being over priced are most of the complaints.
YMMV

·
Registered
540 Posts
Had a LDA Carry for a while. Very nice gun. Got the wants for an AR, and it got used as trading fodder cause it was still worth a good amount. The LDA trigger is indescribably nice.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Tweek, the LDA is the one that interest me the most in Para's lineup. I've read that the trigger feels more like a revolver than a semi-auto. I think I would like. I'm reading everything I can about the dao's because that's what I'm comfortable with. It does seem like Para is having a problem with their finish flaking...that's bad.

Bill, I have been reading about their problems, also. But, if I read enough about any given firearm, I will find problems. Read enough, and ya would not buy a Kimber, Colt, Para, Sig, .....any mfg you can name.

Thanks for the comments, guys.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Tweek, the LDA is the one that interest me the most in Para's lineup. I've read that the trigger feels more like a revolver than a semi-auto. I think I would like. I'm reading everything I can about the dao's because that's what I'm comfortable with. It does seem like Para is having a problem with their finish flaking...that's bad.

Bill, I have been reading about their problems, also. But, if I read enough about any given firearm, I will find problems. Read enough, and ya would not buy a Kimber, Colt, Para, Sig, .....any mfg you can name.

Thanks for the comments, guys.
Maybe but enough Para comments have been negative to make me exclude them completely from any consideration. Also, as somewhat of a 1911 purist, I don't consider any pistol with a DA trigger to be a 1911.
YMMV

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Bill, I saw the post on the thread about non-Rugers that we own. Those are some beautiful 1911's you have.:)

·
Registered
540 Posts
Don't let the 'DA' in LDA fool you. The trigger is as light as many single action 1911's.

When a round is chambered, the hammer is essentially cocked, and the hammer goes back down. It then takes very little effort to pull the trigger (and hammer) back to it's breaking point - taking up the 'slack'. From there, it is a very short and crisp pull to fire.

It's not like any DA revolver, or other DA semi I've ever fired. You almost have to try one to understand it.

It does have both manual and grip safeties, so you can carry it 'cocked & locked' with the manual safety on, without freaking people out because the hammer isn't back.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
+1 Tweek---i don't think there is any dao tigger out there that can compare to it in operation. It is so smooth and light that i would think that a man better apply the thumb safety when carrying--its that smooth and light.

The sig "dak" while not nearly as light as the para is also a good dao trigger--more so than a lot of the stuff out there. The dak trigger felt to me like a smooth colt python trigger.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Bill, I saw a pic of your Defender on another forum....also a beautiful gun.

Deputy, if the Sig DAK feels as good as the python, then I may just return to my original concideration, and go with the Sig P239 DAK. I was wanting something a little smaller, but as everyone knows, I love Sigs.....:)

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
The highway patrol here carry the sig 226 DAK in 357 sig. This paticular trooper shoots a lot so maybe his trigger was smoothed out by practice-but it sure was smooth!!

The DAK also has a 2nd strike capability--a tad heavier than the 1st stike. That trigger is sort of pre-set when the slide is worked--and she gave a good trigger pull every time the slide cycled. I then "dry fired" her. The subsequent trigger pulls were a bit heavier since the slide did not reset it each time.

I was very impressed with the DAK.

·
Registered
880 Posts
Shot a couple of the LDA's...smooth! The guys that own them have no complaints regarding reliability. The single-stack models really feel great.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I had a P-14 and a Tac Four. As said the triggers are nice. I never had a problem with either. I prefer a single stack 1911.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts