Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy! Well here is a pretty shotgun for youall to look at. I took these pictures within the last hour and I think a great bunch of people like we have here will appreciate the craftsmanship of a fine old firearm such as this.
This is a Parker Bros. 10 gauge SXS Hammer Gun.
It’s hard to get pictures to show the detail of the engravings but everything on the gun is engraved with pictures of dogs, pheasants, geese and various patterns. Even the screw heads are engraved and made to be perfectly flush with the surface when fully tightened. The tiny screws holding in the firing pins in are cut on a bevel to make them flush with the curve.
Also, every piece has a date of manufacture or patent on it. The latest date on the gun is September 26, 1875.
The gun belonged to my father in law. My wife told me her father used it for hunting and shot it off every New Year at midnight.
I hope everyone enjoys looking at the pictures. Thanks, John

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
That's really, really special. Thanks for sharing that! I'd love to see it in person though, please mail it to me...

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It won't fit in the mail box so I'll cut it up with a hack saw. BRB

·
Forum Founder
3,639 Posts
Thats Great! There's nothing like them old double-barrel hammer guns. My Dad had one that looked a lot like that one. Also had a pump Winchester .22. Just think, if we'll keep and hand our guns down to our grandkids, a 100 years from now, somebody will be looking at them and saying aren't those great. :)

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Pride in their work!!!! I'd like to have watched them do that!!!! Priceless..........

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
That sure is an old beauty and a priceless heirloom. I would have a box built and mount it on the wall for I could display it. Good luck with it.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Beautiful gun with handsome lines. Just something about those great old generation American doubles. You should be proud to own it...

·
Registered
23 Posts
That is a very nice Parker but the overall grace and beauty of a Parker is in the entire piece put together, so, why not a couple of pics of the whole shotgun. After all it's a Parker Bro.
Maxx Load

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
the stories that old gun could tell if it could only talk. I would love to hear them, very nice in deed.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just for MaxxLoad, I thought the picture on the right would show the whole gun. It only cut a couple inches off each end. But here's another one for you. And Thanks to everyone.

My wife tells another story about this shotgun: Her dad kept the gun leaning in a the corner of a closet with a sock stuffed into each barrel to keep dust out.
Seems she and a friend were tanning in the yard in bathing suits when she was a teenager. A couple local boys gathered on the fence to ogle and make cat calls. Her mother yelled at them to leave and when they didn't, she came out of the house and pointed this shotgun at them.
The socks were still hanging from the muzzles as she waved the shotgun at hollered at the boys.
Everyone started laughing and even her mom had to laugh at that!

·
Registered
704 Posts
Maybe if you chopped a few inches from the barrels it would fit in your guitar case for travel..... :D

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ya reckon I should just take a couple inches off each end? LOL That guitar and that shotgun do not travel. They stay at home and in the safe! Funny, I have to keep dehumidifiers in the safe but a humidifier in the guitar cases!

·
Registered
40 Posts
The shotgun is beautiful! Excellent condition. I can see by the pattern on the barrels that they might be the "Damascus" type. I can't imagine you wanting to shoot it but if you do be carefull. Don't use any heavy loads or your barrels might "unwind".

Okay, now you have my curiosity up,

Show us your Martin and I'll show you my Gretsch!;)

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
If you do decide to shoot it PLEASE use black powder!!!!!! I had a damascus LC Smith once & shot it just fine with 3 drams 3fg black & 1-1/8 oz shot. Frank

1 - 20 of 20 Posts