Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was researching my next firearm and boiled it down to the Sr9c. My wife said hold off on any purchases. So I figured I would cash in some old junk gold thats been in my draw since the 1980's . I figured i would get 100 to 150 to put towards a new gun for a later date, without getting the wife too riled up. So he tally's up the small pile of 14 k , and I ask him if he has a new Sr9 c . He says yes , and if I do make a purchase he will take off $25.I now own a new Sr9c. the best part is that my wife is just as happy as I am cause I walked out with 200 dollars in my pocket. I got 640 dollars for the gold . I could not believe it . the place I went to was not actually a pawn shop but a gold and diamond exchange with a gun shop in the back. I have shot similar guns but never the SR 9c. it feels and looks better than the competition. my research says it shoots as well too . Monday is range day .

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts
Worked for you, congratulation on your SR9c.
Great handgun.

·
Registered
4,164 Posts
I love it when a plan comes together,You sir are a problem solver.Congrats on the new pistol.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I'm taking my SR9c to the range today, it's a great gun. But when I get back, I'm going to have my wife look for some "junk" gold. Sounds like a good day for you and your wife.

·
Registered
571 Posts
This isn't a knock against anyone who thinks folks should buy and hold gold. But what a GREAT time to sell gold. Especially when the price is so high and the gun you want is in the same store! Whoa.

brigond, what sorts of pieces of gold did you have laying around? I wished I had some.

·
Registered
7,096 Posts
Great job! The only time I can buy a gun & keep the wife happy is when I get her one too! Last Xmas it was an LCP & LC9.

You are gonna love the SR9c. It has a very nice trigger. I would recommend watching the video on Ruger's website & cleaning the gun paying attention to de-greasing the striker area. Mine had a lot of factory gunk.

The video is excellent, I mention this cause I was cleaning 4 guns at once & forgot a step on the SR9c re-assembly.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Congratulations on your pawn shop find! And don't forget we need a range report, too! The SR9c is an excellent firearm.....:D

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This isn't a knock against anyone who thinks folks should buy and hold gold. But what a GREAT time to sell gold. Especially when the price is so high and the gun you want is in the same store! Whoa.

brigond, what sorts of pieces of gold did you have laying around? I wished I had some.
The gold was things like... Two Italian horns, two chains one was damaged A tie clip ,two rectangle charms with playboy bunnys on them ( circa 1980' s style lol) and a couple of other things. All amounting to a very small pile in the palm of my hand. A friend recommended this place saying they gave him the best price estimate for his gold. I didn't shop around . I went by a friends recommendation. You may want to shop around. Now my wife is looking through her stuff to get rid of anything non sentimental, unused or broken. Condition does not matter to them cause they just melt it all down anyway. I should put a disclaimer in that I hold no responsibility for any missing (spouses) gold or any additional firearms purchased by Ruger forum members:)

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank moaker58 , I will clean it before the range. Ill also give you all a range report.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Clean the Striker channel well. The SR9c has one nice trigger which gets better as you shoot it more. Also is accurate and dependable. I Carry mine IWB.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I didn't have time to clean it yet but I did take it down. Wow! Its so easy compaired to my rimfires. There is a lot of grease inside. Thanks for tipping me off about the factory grease. I think i would have had issues on my first time shooting it. Ill give the strikers channel a good look also.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Congratulations!

I have a lot of old gold stored around. Perhaps, it will make a down payment on a Wilson Combat CQB that I have been lusting after. You have inspired me to round up the gold and take it in on Monday.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Oh brother! My first day at the range with the Sr9c was a jam fest. Man, it sure took the fun out of the first time ever shooting it. The good par is that it shoots acurately. I never made it through one mag without multiple jams. I did clean and oil it before I hit the range. It seems that the spent round can't make it out of the chamber before it closes, trapping the empty shell . Also, the loaded round would sometimess make it into the barrel or just get jammed in the chamber with the spent round. I took it down and there seems to be metal fileings inside. I shot 150 rounds . I used 115 gr ammo called aguilla ,made in Mexico. The filings are making me think that its more of an issue than break in or ammo. I was debating on whether I should clean it or send it in like that. This is my fourth Ruger and my first issue. Oh well!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I was researching my next firearm and boiled it down to the Sr9c. My wife said hold off on any purchases. So I figured I would cash in some old junk gold thats been in my draw since the 1980's . I figured i would get 100 to 150 to put towards a new gun for a later date, without getting the wife too riled up. So he tally's up the small pile of 14 k , and I ask him if he has a new Sr9 c . He says yes , and if I do make a purchase he will take off $25.I now own a new Sr9c. the best part is that my wife is just as happy as I am cause I walked out with 200 dollars in my pocket. I got 640 dollars for the gold . I could not believe it . the place I went to was not actually a pawn shop but a gold and diamond exchange with a gun shop in the back. I have shot similar guns but never the SR 9c. it feels and looks better than the competition. my research says it shoots as well too . Monday is range day .
You are luck enough to get the deal. Pawn shops prove to be great destination for those looking for affordable yet high quality handguns.

·
Registered
552 Posts
In order to get a gun I have to buy my wife some gold. I like your plan better.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
I wish I had some junk gold lying around the house. But the only junk I have is, well, junk. :(

·
Registered
760 Posts
Oh brother! My first day at the range with the Sr9c was a jam fest....... I took it down and there seems to be metal fileings inside. I shot 150 rounds......The filings are making me think that its more of an issue than break in or ammo. I was debating on whether I should clean it or send it in like that. This is my fourth Ruger and my first issue. Oh well!
First Thought on the JAMS - Make sure you are not limp-wristing the gun. Check your grip.

Second thought - I would leave your gun with the slide locked back for a week and store your mags loaded as well. Wait a week and then try it again. I heard some of the same jamming issues when I bought my first SR9c. Someone suggested I do the same in order to avoid jams and I had no issues. I was using 115gr Winchester White Box and Fed 115 gr. bulk. Maybe try another brand until it is broke in.

As for the filings, did they appear to be brass? Brass filings in are sort of a normal issue (I've seen them in the striker channel) that will stop after break in.

Others may disagree, I am by no means an expert. I just know what I've seen and what has worked for me.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I purchased an SR9C this weekend. My first day of shooting it I was using Winchester white box and a box of Remington. My first magazine with Winchester was fine but when I switched to Remington I started getting jams all over the place. I have now cleaned the gun and took it back out. I shot about 30 rounds of Winchester with no problem. Loaded 10 of Remington and had about 5 jams. I went back to Winchester and no more jams with shooting about another 50 rounds. My gun just doesn't like Remington. I love the gun, very accurate and fun to shoot.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts