Ruger Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Different metallurgies. One piece has to sustain minimal force on occasion, the other (bolt) has to sustain maximum force each shot. Suggest NOT trying to pound the displaced metal back to its original position, that never works well. Instead use a very fine file to remove the displaced metal if it causes issues. Chamber pressure differences can make the differences in wear patterns - you pay for how you play.

·
Registered
179 Posts
The notch that is being deformed only contacts the Last Round Catch and then only when you fire until the mag is empty or pull the bolt back with an empty mag inserted, so it has zero force on it any other time.…
I’m sorry, I wasn’t clear at all. What I meant was that the bolt sustains stress from each shot and cannot be too hard and brittle. That is why when it contacts the harder catch lever it is bound to be slightly deformed by the concentrated impact, as is visible in the bolt photos. This peening suggests that the concentrated force on the bolt at this point may be greater than some imagine.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts