Ruger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased my PC carbine about 6 or 8 months ago for USPSA competition, PCC division. Started out great! Loved it. Then about 1000 - 1500 rounds later I started developing stove pipes, which became more and more frequent. I considered my ammo first. I was running 4.2 grains of WSF behind 124 grain FMJ bullets and thought maybe that was too light a load (all of a sudden). I increased the charge to 4.5 grains and the problem seemed to get worst. So I tried some commercially manufactured ammo (CCI Blazer). The problem was even worst. Leading me to think the bolt is cycling too fast rather then too slow. I generally clean everything after every 200 - 300 rounds so I can't blame it on a dirty gun. I've heard where the ejector can get bent, but mine looks fine (at least as I can tell). Any thoughts?

·
Registered
108 Posts
Have you tried a different magazine. If the magazine spring gets weak it can’t push the rounds up fast enough and can lead to stovepipe on feeding a new round.

Also, check your extractor. If it is not holding onto the cartridge case up to the point the cartridge hits the ejector that can also create stove pipes. Check the ejector as well, it could be bent, loose, worn, broken, etc. These can cause issues of stovepiping on the spent cartridge.

While not an exhaustive list, these are a couple of places to start. Cycling snapcaps or dummy cartridges through the action by hand may help you to see where the problem is occurring.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I tried three different magazines. All modern Glock made. I also tested cycling dummy loads through and they're extracted and ejected very smartly. I thought I might have a bad extractor. Took the bolt out and removed the extractor for a thorough cleaning. It looked fine although I can't say that I know what a proper extractor should look like. It works just fine on dummy loads however. The ejector doesn't look bent either. At least as far as I can tell.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
In most cases it is the spent case that is holding back the bolt with a new round trying to come up behind it. In those cases a roll to the right and a tug on the charging handle will clear and allow the fresh round to chamber. Sometimes it requires stripping the magazine for that to happen.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Mine did that occasionally. I removed the extractor and carefully filed the notch deeper. Hasn’t missed a beat since.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
58 Posts
In most cases it is the spent case that is holding back the bolt with a new round trying to come up behind it. In those cases a roll to the right and a tug on the charging handle will clear and allow the fresh round to chamber. Sometimes it requires stripping the magazine for that to happen.

Mine did the same thing, once about every 20 rounds or so. I sent it in to Ruger who replaced the extractor and the bolt and sent it back. Next time at the range it did it again on the 47th round. Then yesterday I ran 2 magazines through it and it failed once more. I may go up tomorrow and run 100 rounds and see what it does. I've put 511 rounds through it since I bought it and 263 since I got it back from Ruger. I've had similar problems with my EC9s which also went back to Ruger. Both these firearms were this years purchases.
Stan

·
Registered
3 Posts
It wasn’t must. Enough to give it a good hook to grab the case.
Any chance of taking a close up photo of the “modified” extractor?

I absolutely love shooting my PCC but it is driving me nuts losing a close match (and having to buy the beers) because of the constant ejection problems.

Having read pretty much all of the previous threads and descriptions I’d say I’ve got the same basic problem. Extraction problem followed by the next round ramping short because the empty is blocking it.

Thanks.

AD

·
Registered
37 Posts
Any chance of taking a close up photo of the “modified” extractor?

I absolutely love shooting my PCC but it is driving me nuts losing a close match (and having to buy the beers) because of the constant ejection problems.

Having read pretty much all of the previous threads and descriptions I’d say I’ve got the same basic problem. Extraction problem followed by the next round ramping short because the empty is blocking it.

Thanks.

AD

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
366 Posts
I was having extraction issues myself and after trying a few things i discovered that the 2 screws holding my receiver to the stock had come lose. Just a though, might do a double check on all the screws and make sure they are tight. Also, the ejector is the same in both magwells so if you think it is bent or might be bent, you can take the one out of the ruger magwell and put it into the glock magwell. it's very easy to do.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I had a similar issue with a new pc carbine. I sent it back to Ruger explaning the issue. The replaced the extractor, extractor spring, and bolt face. It has been 100% ever since. I recommend sending the weapon back to Ruger.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I've also had some ejection problems/stovepipes with the PCC. I was an early adopter, and a wise man warned me against this: 'don't be their beta tester'.
I appreciate the comments in this thread and I'll reach out to Ruger with this info. Now that Ruger is offering new versions of the PCC, it makes me think they've worked out the bugs, and I'm confident they'll be able to make it right with mine.

·
Registered
19 Posts
having read the above comments and also having ejection issues, I sent mine back to Ruger 7 May

I just got it back

Ruger "replaced bolt, bolt head, bolt head retaining pins, and extractor"
returned my after mkt Pmag with no comment re it

"repair, safety function check, range test, and CLEANING"

I am SO ready and happy
real glock mags coming tomorrow

RUGER THE BESTEST

·
Registered
259 Posts
Just got mine back from Ruger. I included a screen shot from this thread in my repair request, and it may have encouraged the tech to perform similar replacements on mine. Either way, thanks again Ruger Forum! I'll be taking it out next weekend; range report to follow.
How did the new parts-repair go at the range? Hope it’s operating properly now.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Just got mine back from Ruger. I included a screen shot from this thread in my repair request, and it may have encouraged the tech to perform similar replacements on mine. Either way, thanks again Ruger Forum! I'll be taking it out next weekend; range report to follow.
How did the new parts-repair go at the range? Hope it’s operating properly now.
Thanks for the reminder! Yes, it's running perfectly now. Whatever kinks were in the initial run of PCCs have been addressed and the techs repaired mine accordingly. Incidentally, I decided to run 147gr 9mm for some extra kick to ensure the cycling works correctly and the PCC handled it like a champ.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Mine failed repeatedly in a steel match on Sunday. Glock mag adapter. So many stove pipes I packed it in.
Sunday night I swapped the ejector with the one from the Ruger adapter. 40 rounds on Monday, no issues. I also noted that the trouble ejector was bent very slightly upward. Almost not noticeable unless side by side.
I had bent it down to match the new one and tested it later and it also ran fine.
I noticed that when I insert a magazine (too hard) it hits the ejector. Slamming the mag to seat it is likely bending it. There seems to be no stop for the Glock mags.
Anyone else see this issue?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Mine failed repeatedly in a steel match on Sunday. Glock mag adapter. So many stove pipes I packed it in.
Sunday night I swapped the ejector with the one from the Ruger adapter. 40 rounds on Monday, no issues. I also noted that the trouble ejector was bent very slightly upward. Almost not noticeable unless side by side.
I had bent it down to match the new one and tested it later and it also ran fine.
I noticed that when I insert a magazine (too hard) it hits the ejector. Slamming the mag to seat it is likely bending it. There seems to be no stop for the Glock mags.
Anyone else see this issue?
Stop FTE jams on PC Carbine by bending ejector.
On this forum right now, exactly what I'm talking about.
https://rugerforum.net/ruger-semi-auto/378587-stop-fte-jams-pc-carbine-bending-ejector.html

1 - 20 of 24 Posts