Ruger Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
I recently picked up a new PC Carbine. Took it to the range with the Ruger factory mag in it and it worked perfectly all day.

I then picked up some Glock 19 mags, I installed the glock magwell and had nothing but trouble the next day at the range. My buddy tried my mags (glock) in his PC Carbine and they worked perfectly.

They don't seem to hold the mag up far enough. If I hold the mag ip as far it can go they work but if i don't the bolt won't stay open on the last shot and they do not function properly.

Has anyone else experienced any thing like this? Is it the fact that I am using Glock 19 mags? Is there any adjustment that I can do when installing the magwell?

Also what type of pistols use the same mag (ruger ones)?

Any help on this matter would be much appreciated.

Thanks Graydog

·
Registered
418 Posts
Hubby uses Glock 19 magazines in his PC Carbine and has not had any problems. Could that Glock magwell be defective? Can your buddy try your Glock magwell in his carbine? That would give you your answer quickly.

·
Registered
2,648 Posts
I have heard of the ejector rods, thin metal rod in the magwell adapters getting slightly bent & causing problems. One fella mentioned inserting his mag with too much force causing the ejection rod to bend. As far as compatible Ruger pistol magazines the SR9, SR9c, & Security 9 will work with the Ruger magwell adapter. Ruger also has an adapter to make the Ruger American Pistol mags fit as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10 Posts
I've had trouble with the Glock magwell too. A buddy had some extra SR9 mags, so now i use them instead of the Glock's. all good.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
My Ruger PC Carbine has been 100% with SR9 mags (I have several of them) but a little erratic with the Glock mag well and Glock magazines. I expect the Glock mag well is a bit out of spec as the magazines work perfectly in my AR9 carbine with it's Glock-compatible lower.

If I had to use Glock magazines in my PC Carbine I would have contacted Ruger about the problem.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I run only Glock 19 (wife has one) and the Glock "18" 33 round happy sticks in mine. At first all of them seemed to have a tough time seating all the way in and locking but that quickly went away with time. I would look at that ejector rod, I know some have issues with it. Or it could be a simple remove and reinstall it might be the fix. But I would also try your buddy's glock mag well and see if the problem remains just to narrow it down. Good luck! It's a shame, that rifle is so much fun, I hope you get it running smooth either way!

·
Registered
233 Posts
Having a spare good Glock Mag Well would be good for comparison for starters as well as backup.

Have you compared spring stiffness of the Glock verses Ruger magazines? The Ruger 17 round magazine spring seems WAY stronger than the Glock 17 round magazine spring. Enough that I’m going to order stiffer springs for my Glock mags.

I’ve had a Glock follower just not come up all the way to engage the “last round hold open plunger”. I now strip my magazines down and inspect/clean more frequently then in the old days.

Slamming empty Glock magazines into the mag well might bend the steel “last round hold open plunger” in the well upward...and cause failure to engage and hold open on last round...just a thought. It might need to be bent down a little.

It doesn’t sound like ejector problems....but it’s always good to check everything when a gun isn’t reliable.

Let us know what you find...hope it’s simple.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I was doing some trigger work on mine and the wife came out and asked me to do something. I took the rifle to the range the next day and had issues like you talked about....I had not tightened the 2 bolts holding the stock to the receiver...I thought to myself “What a dumb #@&”

Tony P

·
Registered
7 Posts
I haven't had any problems with G19 or G17 mags but the G18 (33-round) mags are pretty wobbly, obviously due to their extended length. Would be nice if someone came up with an extended mag well funnel that increased the length of the well so the mags didn't wobble as much. Other nice thing would be an aftermarket stock with an adjustable comb. Mine is too low. I'm using a Meadow Industries "Variable Convert-a-Stock" pad and it works but an adjustable comb would be nicer.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Mine ran great for the first 800 rounds, using various bullet weights and styles. Magazines of all sizes from G26 mags up through 33-round mags with extended basepads. Glock OEM and aftermarket. It all ran great, and all was well.

Then it started choking. Usually failures to eject, and sometimes failures to feed. The gun had been cleaned & lubed. It got to where it would not get through a single mag without one or more malfunctions.

I finally called Ruger, and they sent me a shipping label to send it back to them. Turnaround was quick, communication was good, and I should have it back in a couple days. I’m looking forward to seeing what they did and how the gun does.

·
Registered
358 Posts
I know that the Glock magwell was a brilliant move on the part of Ruger's plan. Personally, I have the Ruger SR9c and when I got the PC Carbine, I bought 4 of the 17 round mags. The theory is that the reason to have the carbine is to have magazine compatibility with the handgun you are carrying.

Works for me. YMMV.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I have two Glock 17 round mags. One is not pushing the follower up firmly and the last round hold-open is unreliable. I have the magazine marked and will be ordering the Wolff +10% spring to fix the issue.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I run Glock mags exclusively.. using factory Glock 19 mags and Magpul mags...about 300 rounds so far..no feed problem. I do notice that PCC's mag well adaptor is really loose without receiver installed.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
First thing I did was change to the Glock magwell and put about 200 rounds through it. No problems at all using OEM Glock mags and Magpul PMags.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Just ordered custom Glock springs direct from WOLFF. They said the 15 round magazine has one less coil verses the 17 round mag. I have several of each so I ordered a 3 pack of each.

The lazy coiled Glock Mag had been cycled a lot without loading to full capacity....my mistake! I thought I was alternating the mags to reduce wear...but that was a lesson learned the hard way.

Definitely see the follower on one mag does not push the last round hold open plunger up half the time causing failure to hold open on last shot. So it must be a weak spring!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi
I recently picked up a new PC Carbine. Took it to the range with the Ruger factory mag in it and it worked perfectly all day.

I then picked up some Glock 19 mags, I installed the glock magwell and had nothing but trouble the next day at the range. My buddy tried my mags (glock) in his PC Carbine and they worked perfectly.

They don't seem to hold the mag up far enough. If I hold the mag ip as far it can go they work but if i don't the bolt won't stay open on the last shot and they do not function properly.

Has anyone else experienced any thing like this? Is it the fact that I am using Glock 19 mags? Is there any adjustment that I can do when installing the magwell?

Also what type of pistols use the same mag (ruger ones)?

Any help on this matter would be much appreciated.

Thanks Graydog
When you changed magwells did you leave the bolt release? I did and while it works it malfunctions with longer magazines. Not sure putting it back in fixes it yet but I will find out.

Magpull glock mags work fine for me though.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts