Ruger Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys I have a 2007-08 MacBook Pro 15 inch 2.4 duo core processor 4 gigs of ram 500 GB Hard drive was running El Capitan not very good!!! Then wouldn't boot up! Took it to a local repair shop bad decision from the run around I am getting. Was told the HD has bad sectors advised to get new HD so I instructed him what I wanted new HD with a clean install of El Capitan. Nope the guy did a clean install of Yosemeti! So the confusion continues he has it for over two weeks the Holidays etc. Says he cannot get a clean install of El Capitan but did originally get a clean install of Yosemeti. But then now tells me possibly a bad mother board but he gets it running with Yosemeti not the other OS?? Hmm my thoughts are to do a clean install again with Yosemeti and see if I can salvage what I have or sell it for parts etc Am I getting the run around from this guy?? Called another PC & Mac repair shop they tell me El Capitan is the worst OS that Apple brought out & I tend to agree with them. But then told oh we can do a free diagnosis and tell you if the mother board is fried out or not!!! So if my MacBook is DOA I will be looking for another laptop oh well life goes on!!!:rolleyes::rolleyes:

·
Registered
71 Posts
I'd just put Yosemite on it sell it , upgrade and call it good. Realistically you got a lot of use out of a 2007 laptop.

·
Banned
513 Posts
Never buy apple. Widows operated PC's are so much easier to repair. I dont know why Steve Jobs was so hell bent on making non compliant computers.

·
Registered
9,729 Posts
Laptops make good targets at an outdoor range ... just sayin

In all honesty, repair it and extract what you want then sell.

·
Registered
981 Posts
Like everything else, it sounds like it has come to the end of it's useful life. I had a very good HP printer that I had to stop using because the software was no longer supported, even by aftermarket user groups. You have been backing up you files, right?

·
Double P90 Shooter
19,890 Posts
I run a Mac.Did you keep up with your "Time Machine backups?" If you did you can do a restore from a backup you did with Yosemite or whatever OS you may have liked.With that everything you had on the computer files/Pictures/music etc. will all still be there.Most folks just blow off doing the Time Machine backups these will save your bacon,"IF" it is a software problem.If you have a Hardware problem then you may have to go to an Apple store.The "Genius's actually do know what they are doing and have diagnostic software that we do not. Contrary to what some believe the Mac software is waaay more stable than windows and uses less resources than it's windows rival. It does sound like the guys you took it to Do not know what they are doing. My suggestion is if you have a Apple store near you make an appointment and let them check it out.Apple's customer service is very good. Good Luck with your computer.

·
Registered
964 Posts
I'd second the idea of taking it to an Apple store (or a shop with Apple Certified techs); too many computer "technicians" are just parts-swappers, replacing components until they finally get the computer back up & working. Proper computer troubleshooting takes time & specialized software tools to do it right - for every problem with an obvious & simple solution, there's one with a obscure and difficult-to-reproduce string of symptoms.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts