Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gents, any thoughts on the PC in 9 or 40 as opposed to the Mini 14? I was at the trading post today and the sales guy was walking me through the mini14, when he also suggested I have a look at the PC's which he had in 9 and 40 S&W. I'm thinking about a semi-auto for home and disaster (read Katrina) type defense. Thanks!

-Hammer

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Kind of comparing apples to oranges. The Mini 14 is chambered for a much more powerful rifle round, as compared to the PCs pistol rounds. For home defense, the PC actually would probably be a better choice, due to over penetration issues. It would be cool to have a carbine that took the same mags as my handguns too. However, for a SHTF gun, I would prefer the Mini. It will reach out and touch someone a whole lot farther than a PC will.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I should add that whatever I do, it will be after I cure my Security Six Fever.

-Hammer

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
I've heard that the pc series was discontinued. If you think you will want one eventually, now is as a good a time as any.
At my previous dept, alot of research went into the patrol carbine concept. Can't remember the sources but i do recall lots of data that indicated a .223 Bal-tip actually penetrated less in buildings compared to hp handgun bullet performance. Also the .223 was less richoet prone than handgun rounds.
That dept went with the .223. Officers to furnish their own weapons with a choice of the mini or ar.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Deputy125, thanks for the input. I have been thinking about each for a few hours, and I think I liked the lighter feel on the Mini14. I have also been thinking about what kind of effective range I could get and it seems to me, I'll get quite a bit more distance out of the .223. However, the fact that I could get a bunch of interchangeable mags for a P-series pistol and a PC is appealing. I think it's time to head to the rental range and do some testing.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Heck, hammer, just buy both! But, like the deputy said, the PC series have been discontinued.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
I still actually prefer a shotgun for most things especially at night.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have both...

Maybe this is the extreme...but I travel around a lot during the day. I carry a KP-95 pistol on me and tucked behind the seat out of sight is a PC-9 and 4 twenty round mags.

The PC9 takes a little getting used to and you need to practice with it to get used to the trigger and how the mag switch works... but it is a great rifle to shoot. I plan to get another.

For those that would be interested... I've developed a way to put a folding stock on a PC9, it takes a minor amount of mechanical aptitude and a few tools, but can be done pretty easily and reduces the storage area (length of gun) down to 26". You use a Choate folding stock for a Mossburg 500.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
can you post pics of the folder pc9?

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Blume that ain't extreme...it's prepared...it's hell to call the game while you go to Wally World or squat to load your one mag again...sounds like you got a plan, my man!!!!!

·
jlweems
278 Posts
I have a PC9, and I think very highly of it. I'd like to own a Mini, but I've never run across one at a good enough price to jump on it. The Minis have a reputation for being reliable, but they also have a rep for not being super accurate, especially once the barrel gets warm. Just remember that the Mini was not designed as a true battle weapon, but people try to bend it into that role and compare it head to head with an AR, but that isn't a fair comparison.

I treat my PC9 like is it a long barreled pistol. I like it because it gives me a more stable platform than a pistol, especially for longer shots, and it uses the same mags as my P95, which is a plus. I have a belt setup with four spare mags on it, and I have a butt cuff on the PC9 that holds two more mags; so, that is eight 15-rounder factory mags loaded with Winchester Ranger 127gr +P+ ammo. I feel pretty good about that. :)

·
jlweems
278 Posts
quote:Originally posted by Jody Johnson

Both have merit.

One appealing thing about the "PC" tho'...you can usually shoot 'em about anywhere, includin' (usually) indoor ranges...
That's a good point. My club doesn't allow pistols on the rifles range or rifles on the pistol range. However, pistol caliber carbines are allowed on the pistol range; so, I can do weapon transition drills on the pistol range when shooting my PC9.

·
Registered
576 Posts
All of you have good points. I have sold and stock both PCs and Ranch Rifles. On the point of accuracy, it is my understanding that the Ranch Rifle has a different "twist" in the barrel, compared to a Mini-14 and is supposedly more accurate than the Mini 14. I stock only Ranch Rifles, as they come with the rings. If someone wants a Mini, I can order it OR I can sell them a "Rancher" without the rings. I always have a market for rings. Should they want to "scope" their gun later, all they have to do is come back and get the rings! What a deal!

hammer...I really think it would be a good idea to get BOTH a PC and a Ranch Rifle or Mini. With PCs being discontinued, I only feel that they will go up. Look at what happened to the .44Mag carbines! And for the Minis or Ranchers...a .223 around here is a great coyote gun! Not accurate enough for "prairie dogging" at 200 to 300 yards, but fun at closer ranges.

I like the PC "rubber" feeling stock compared to the "plastic" feeling stock of the synthetic Ranch Rifle. I have contacted Ruger previously in regard to considering the "rubber" feeling PC stock for the Ranch Rifles, but so far. no changes.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Ron, you can't order the true Mini no more. (Unless, oc course, someone still has some old stock.) They are all Ranch Rifles now. Ruger no longer catalogs the non-Ranch Mini.

·
Registered
23 Posts
my photo place is having trouble... not sure if I can post the picture of the PC-9 I put a folding stock on or not... but what I did was put a Choate folding stock for a Mossburg 500 shot gun on... it really wasn't that hard and only required a little engineering... I've actually got a solid stock with pistol grip for a mossburg in the mail to me from a guy. What I hope to do is trade this out later in the Summer for a road trip I plan up to the northeast.... this should make be legal if I only have 10 round mags and everything is unloaded and in the trunk as I drive thru New York State.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
In the words of my youth----Cool!

·
Registered
87 Posts
i just bought a mini 14 NRA comemerative with the rubberized stock came with 2 20rd mags. it was made sometime in 2008 i got it new in the box came with rings

1 - 20 of 22 Posts