Ruger Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought a PC4 and this is my first post here. Love the gun! And I am delighted to see there is a place where other enthusiasts can congregate.

I bought htis gun as (i) a home defense weapon for my wife; and (ii) a fun little plinker for me. Don't regret the purchase - seems perfectly suited for both roles.

So far I have only shot at indoor ranges, so limited to 25 yards. Like shooting fish in a barrel! I was shooting really tight groups the first time out. I am interested at seeing what kind of performance I can get at longer ranges - 50, 75, and hopefully, 100 yards. I realize that is not what this gun was really desinged for, maybe I should have bought something else, and I would save a fortune in ammo if I had bought a 10/22 instead.

But my question is, what affordable factory ammo performs best at "long" ranges in this carbine? I would think that lighter bullets going at higher velocities would result in a flatter trajectory (less bullet drop) which is obviously desireable. But I have read bulelts at or close to original design weight (180 gr) generally are more acurate.

I have seen online Americn Eagle ammo in a 165 gr bullet that has listed muzzle velocity of 1130 fps (presumably out of a 4 inch barrel) and a velocity at 100 yards of 967 fps. Should be good for a couple hundred fps more out of a PC4, at least at the muzzle. It is reasonbly prioced at about 35 cents a round (plus shipping).

Is this a good choice for this use? Or is there going to be problem with the bullet going subsonic before it reaches 100 ayrds? Recommendations for better options? Any advice would be appreciated. I know I could do better if I hand loaded and maybe some day I will, but I am not set up for it now, so please stick to factory loaded alternatives.

Thanks,

FoundFather

·
Registered
3,770 Posts
Welcome from Virginia. Enjoy the forum. Sorry. I wish I could help you more on the PC4 question. Their are many sites out there do ammunition. One of them is Freedom Ammunition. They have had good reports on the forum. You can look at the pricing and make your own decision. You must remember to factor in shipping in any mail order purchase. That can make or break many deals. Again MANY sites out their ammo.
Best deals are reduced price and FREE shipping. You must look and wait but major savings is available. Oh yes. If you ever become tired of the PC4, just tell me. I have been looking for one for a long time. I would gladly give it a good home. Enjoy your new purchase. I hope this is only the begining of a nice Ruger family.. When you have 10 posts, please post some pictures of your recent find.

·
Registered
999 Posts
I 've read that the 165 grain 40S&W is better

I've read the 40S&W in tests the 180 grain bullets lose some velocity in the long barrells like the PC4.......I've started shooting 165 grain bullets and noticed a little more velocity.( recoil feels a little harder too)
Try them and see what you think?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Supply and Demand

9mm, thanks! I actually wanted a PC9 for the cheaper ammo, but it seems the PC4's are easier to find. They were popular with police departments so there is some supply, but the 9mm is more in demand so I saw more .40 caliber avilable for sale and also cheaper to buy initially. Not that it was that easy to find. For example Calguns.net has maybe a dozen a year advertised, and most of them are far away from my home and the seller's won't ship. In California, there is a 10 day waiting period even on rivate party transfers, and it ahs to go through a FFL, so it makes it much easier if you find one close by. I was very happy to find one not too far away.

I do expect to grow the Ruger family at least a little bit - I expect there's a 10/22 in my future. I would like to put a sight on it idential to the ghost ring on my PC4 and practice on the cheaper 22 ammo. And maybe PC9, just becasue. I just have to spread the purchases out to keep my wife (somewhat) happy.

Will definitely post pictures once I'm allowed and figure out how. Its very much stock with the ghost rings sights and the pouch on the buttstock for two extra magazines (forgot who made it, but its the popular one - P&P?).

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
180 Grain Bullets

Mr. Mike, thanks for the tip. I looked on the Ballistics By The Inch webiste and, although most of the bullets tested were lighter, they had data on two 180 graain bullets and it tends to support this view. There was a small slowdown in a 16 inch barrel, at least as compared to 14 or 15 inch barrels (which I gues would be illegal without an NFA sticker). In their tests, the 16 inch barrel was still faster than a 4 inch barrel for all ammo, however.

Anyone have advice on ammo for the PC4 in general? Understandably, the vast majority of info out there is aimed at 4 or 5 inch barrels.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Anyone?

I have to believe I'm not the only interested in shooting hte PC4 beyond 25 yards. Are people using same ammo they use for hangun / short range PC4?

What kind of results are people getting at 100 yards? And what ammo are yo uusing?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Not Disgusted!

Jayke, Not disgusted, love the PC4, don't think I'll be selling.

I think your best bet for finding a (relatively) resonably priced PC4 or PC9 is the Calguns.net website. That's where I found mine.

Even if its a bit higher than on Gunbroker.com, don't forget that (i) you save aound $75 if you do a PPT in CA as opposed to buying outside CA and paying an FFL, (ii) you save shipping, say around $25, (iii) you save sales tax, say $45 on a $500 purchase. In total, that $145 cheaper buying in CA in a PPT for a $500 purchse price. Plus, you can inspect the gun before you pay. Of course, Sandy Hook and the current panic buying won't help you if you are looking for a deal in the near term.

If you are willing to drive a bit, there are a lot more advertised in Southern CA than Northern CA, so something will come up if you are patient.

Good luck!

·
Registered
999 Posts
lot of police trade ins out there...be patient

lots of police depts. have the 40 cal. versions and are trading them in for AR_15s be patient .....you'll find a used one

·
Registered
199 Posts
Have used a steady diet of Federal Champion .40 S&W 180 gr FMJ through my SA XD-40 Service for the range. It's relatively inexpensive at Wally World. It's always been clean and reliable (no FTF/FTE). For HD, I feed it Remington .40 S&W 180 gr JHP which also causes no issues. Seems like the FMJ Federal at least might be worth a try.

·
Banned
402 Posts
If your asking will the 40 shoot to 100 yards ? well yes is the answer, and way past.
The question then becomes what do you expect for accuracy ? And K D power ?
MOA of a human ? a Deer ? 8" 6" 3 " groups What ?
It's by no means a target rifle, not today not tomorrow, and 100 yards ain't 25 yards.
Get decent ammo shoot it and what you get is what you get. Good glass and a good rest may improve it some. It's a short range piece and should do well at 50 yards depending on your expectations. It's just not a long range round. Sorry if it's not what you want to hear.
BUT ! that by no means is saying it wont be fun to shoot at 100.

·
Registered
999 Posts
I like shooting it at 100 yards!

My range only goes out to 100 yards. I like shooting the PC4 at 100 yards. The holes are bigger than my 22LR and 5.56 ,and easier to see at long range. Its fun to try to hit bullseyes at that distance.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts