Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to pick a PC9 up very soon. Will mainly use it for home and property self defense. I like it because it will be interchangeable with CCW ammo and easy for my wife to shoot. Also wouldn't want to be hit by that additional muzzle velocity... Wouldn't the heavier hollow points (147 grain) be better out of a carbine for stopping power?

·
Registered
7 Posts
I load mine with 147 grain FMJ and a +P load of Accurate #7. Accurate #7 is one of the slower burning pistol powders. I know I get a little extra velocity however I have not been able to measure the round because my local range has been closed. So- sorry no numbers.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
50 Posts
Looking to pick a PC9 up very soon. Will mainly use it for home and property self defense. I like it because it will be interchangeable with CCW ammo and easy for my wife to shoot. Also wouldn't want to be hit by that additional muzzle velocity... Wouldn't the heavier hollow points (147 grain) be better out of a carbine for stopping power?
You mean PC Carbine(PCC)

Ruger PC9 is completely different gun made by Ruger in the 90s.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you are going to use the 9mm rifle for self defense purposes, I would stay away from any FMJ bullets as they are the worse design for stopping power. If you want to compare different factory ammo for expansion and penetration, go to this web site: Handgun Self-Defense Ammunition - Ballistic Testing Data
But is the carbine going to have different ballistics with the longer barrel?

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Yes, in most cases the velocity will be higher and more expansion of the hollow point.

·
Premium Member
2,661 Posts
You should also take a look at the ARX round. Higher velocities, high energy, comparable wound channels to hollow points, barrier blind with regard to clothing and fur.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Don't use handgun data on a PCC.
A PCC will overdrive defensive ammo and not perform the same.

I use Federal HST 147gn in my 8" PCC, velocity is in the +P range and the meat brakes still deploy.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I do not own a PCC but believe with the added velocity of a carbine any reputable hollow point would be a devastating defense round. Hornady XTP, Federal HST, the list goes on. I would base my choice on what functions well ( they probably all do) with the added accuracy of a rifle platform I think the PCC is ideal, I may have just talked myself into getting one !

·
Registered
104 Posts
I would base my choice on what functions well ( they probably all do) with the added accuracy of a rifle platform I think the PCC is ideal, I may have just talked myself into getting one !
Love mine. A simple $50 bushnell red dot and I am set.It holds minute of soda can at 100 meters. Accurate enough.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I do not own a PCC but believe with the added velocity of a carbine any reputable hollow point would be a devastating defense round. Hornady XTP, Federal HST, the list goes on. I would base my choice on what functions well ( they probably all do) with the added accuracy of a rifle platform I think the PCC is ideal, I may have just talked myself into getting one !
From the article I linked, SD ammo in a 16" barrel will not perform the same and can be worse.
16" barrel

4" barrel

147 gn seems to be the sweet spot for SD ammo in a PCC, a bit more oomf and still has controlled expansion.
Not to mention that it's very accurate in my gun as well.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I have always relied on water jugs. No it won't tell you how it will perform exactly, but if it won't expand in a water jug, you need to look elsewhere.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

1 - 20 of 38 Posts