Ruger Forum banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Gel tests are done at fairly close range. At longer distances carbines might produce ideal velocity for hollow point expansion.

Would be nice if there was a 9mm round specifically for carbines. A JHP with a wide expand-but-don't-fragment bandwidth 1000-1400 fps. Or an (affordable) +P FMJ designed to tumble post penetration fo dual range self defense use.

·
Registered
822 Posts
I have been using Federal HST in the 124 grain load. The +P's really scream out of a carbine at approx. 1500 fps
corbon makes a 115 grain +P that will definitely hit those #'s.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have been using Federal HST in the 124 grain load. The +P's really scream out of a carbine at approx. 1500 fps
corbon makes a 115 grain +P that will definitely hit those #'s. View attachment 144292
Ordered my Ruger PC Carbine in February. Had hopes of getting range ammo with similar fps and grain as JHPs, but by the time I picked the gun up from my FFL the ammo panic buying was well underway.

Got buckets of 115g Blazer and Federal Black Pack. But the JHPs are a mish-mash of grains and velocities. 124g Hyrda-Shock, 135g Critical Duty, 124g Sig +P and Standard V-Crown, Grizzly 115g +P.

Menaced soup cans with about 600 rounds of FMJ. Finally got around to a little JHP back-yard ballistics. The Grizzly is rated 1350 fps. Out of the carbine I'm thinking 1500 fps. It vaporized a half gallon water container. No idea what the bullet actually did expansion wise. Hope to do more back-yard ballistics soon.

·
Registered
150 Posts
There are so many good options these days but I run 147gr Federal HST in my pistol and my PC Carbine.

Reactions: Lukey

·
Registered
822 Posts
Oh the fun one can have testing out all the different 9 mm loads out there. There are at least 100 differnet loads at the gun shop last time I went.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Ballisticly that's true with similar weight bullets 124/125gn and 16"/3" barrel.
But not the same performance, as the .357 Mag 125gn HP is designed for those parameters.

The new Winchester M1152 115gn flat nose bullet is a hot lil sucker.
A guy on another site chronographed some out of a 4" barrel and it was cooking along at 1,308 FPS.
I would bet that out of a 16" barrel it would be nearly 1,500 FPS.
Out of my 8" AR9 it really smacks my plate.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I'll call BS on that one.

Call BS all you want. 125 grain JHP .357 out of a 3" barrel gives you 1257fps.
a similar weighted 124 grain JHP 9mm out of a 16' barrel gives you 1243fps (Federal) or 1379fps (Speer)

TFB TV turned me onto these numbers 12:04 of the video...

So as I said, short range magnum ballistics in a more accurate controllable package.

·
Registered
491 Posts
So, in short, almost any 124gr defensive round, once you rule out over penetration rounds, will work just fine if you do your part. Your enemy's vital organs could care less about maximum expansion. It is fun to BS about though :)

·
Registered
53 Posts
$40 a box of defensive ammo to get FMJ performance doesn't pencil out for me.
9mm NATO is much cheaper if you just want to poke holes in something.

As a Targetsportsusa member I was getting Federal HST for $18 a box of 50 when they had monthly sales.
I tried out all kinds of flavors and in the end stocked up on HST 147gn as all my pistols like it too.
Pistols or the AR9 it performs the same and hits just a bit harder with the 8" barrel.
In the end anything will work, but with all the choices available you are not stuck with one option.

·
Registered
822 Posts
Love TargetsportsUSA........great deals FREE UPS SHIPPING. ( usually in 2 days)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Looking to pick a PC9 up very soon. Will mainly use it for home and property self defense. I like it because it will be interchangeable with CCW ammo and easy for my wife to shoot. Also wouldn't want to be hit by that additional muzzle velocity... Wouldn't the heavier hollow points (147 grain) be better out of a carbine for stopping power?
When SUPPRESSED, I use 147 gr Speer Gold Dot. UNSURPRESSED I use 124 gr + P Speer Gold Dot.

·
Registered
33 Posts

Call BS all you want. 125 grain JHP .357 out of a 3" barrel gives you 1257fps.
a similar weighted 124 grain JHP 9mm out of a 16' barrel gives you 1243fps (Federal) or 1379fps (Speer)

TFB TV turned me onto these numbers 12:04 of the video...

So as I said, short range magnum ballistics in a more accurate controllable package.
Great data!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Online Gel Test Review Observations

Distance - Most handgun ammo is tested at fairly close range. But how do PCCs stack up at longer distances? A round that over-penetrates at 10 yards might behave perfectly at longer distances.

Wound Cavities - A JHP from a PCC might "over penetrate" at close range, making a narrow permanent wound cavity, but it would be nice to see temporary wound cavity comparisons. I'm curious to see what the (initial, temporary) shock wave of a 124 JHP screaming at 1350-1400 fps looks like in gel.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Online Gel Test Review Observations

Distance - Most handgun ammo is tested at fairly close range. But how do PCCs stack up at longer distances? A round that over-penetrates at 10 yards might behave perfectly at longer distances.

Wound Cavities - A JHP from a PCC might "over penetrate" at close range, making a narrow permanent wound cavity, but it would be nice to see temporary wound cavity comparisons. I'm curious to see what the (initial, temporary) shock wave of a 124 JHP screaming at 1350-1400 fps looks like in gel.
Most carbine/rifle rounds are also shot into the test material at close range. Still, you raise some very good observations.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts