Ruger Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
does the pc9 have an unusual hard trigger pull?
just say compared to winchester 30/30, remington 7200, mini 14.

tks

pat

·
Registered
3,967 Posts
does the pc9 have an unusual hard trigger pull?
just say compared to winchester 30/30, remington 7200, mini 14.

tks

pat

Yes, the PC carbines have terrible triggers and that is part of the reason for their demise. The biggest reason for this is that they incorporate an anti bolt bounce device that is deactivated by the trigger pull.
Mechanically interesting but not conducive to good shooting.

·
Registered
172 Posts
i checked mine on a trigger pull scale: 6.5 lbs...standard m16/m4 have the same. (at least my m4 did)

don't let that deter you. the PC9 is a good carbine.

there is a man by the name of Bill Springfield who will rework it (the trigger) for you. i don't know his address, though...someone here chime in and post it. i seem to recall reading he could get it down to 3.5 lbs.

as was said: it was designed to be carried in LE cruisers to accompany 9mm handguns carried by LE at the time and was designed as a "60 yard gun" as per the designer.

with some hand loading and tailoring the rounds, it could, probably, be a very accurate, close range carbine. the Speer #12 loading manual shows a 100grain, JHP, 9mm, from a 4" tube, at 1296 fps; i suspect the 16" tube of the PC9 would yield a little more. that's pretty respectable. i've never taken the time to "shoot groups" too determine it's accuracy, but, i shoot RN lead, hand loads, from mine regularly...works beautifully! no FTF or FTE or FTF at all. i estimate 2"-4" groups at 50 yds, though from the shooting i do with it and the red/green dot you see pictured it with in my avatar.

·
Registered
3,967 Posts
i checked mine on a trigger pull scale: 6.5 lbs...standard m16/m4 have the same. (at least my m4 did)

don't let that deter you. the PC9 is a good carbine.

there is a man by the name of Bill Springfield who will rework it (the trigger) for you. i don't know his address, though...someone here chime in and post it. i seem to recall reading he could get it down to 3.5 lbs.

as was said: it was designed to be carried in LE cruisers to accompany 9mm handguns carried by LE at the time and was designed as a "60 yard gun" as per the designer.

with some hand loading and tailoring the rounds, it could, probably, be a very accurate, close range carbine. the Speer #12 loading manual shows a 100grain, JHP, 9mm, from a 4" tube, at 1296 fps; i suspect the 16" tube of the PC9 would yield a little more. that's pretty respectable. i've never taken the time to "shoot groups" too determine it's accuracy, but, i shoot RN lead, hand loads, from mine regularly...works beautifully! no FTF or FTE or FTF at all. i estimate 2"-4" groups at 50 yds, though from the shooting i do with it and the red/green dot you see pictured it with in my avatar.

Well, it wasn't designed to be a patrol carbine at all, that was a marketing ploy that worked on you and a few others. The PC series was an attempt to sell a boat load a mediocre carbines to john q public. Turns out that john q public likes a more user friendly carbine and not something designed by the three stooges and the legal corps.
In my not so humble opine, Ruger should never be b$#ch slapped by the likes of Keltec but that's exactly what happened with the Sub2000. Beretta did the same with their CX series of carbines both of which are vastly superior to the PC thingy. An engineer worth half a paycheck could easily turn the PC carbines into a decent sell-able carbine but alas that was not to be.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I know this is old but for the sake of future searchers like myself I felt I needed to respond to this post...

of course it was designed for Law Enforcement...if not, why was it called and engraved with (at least in the beginning) Police Carbine 9 (or PC4 - 40)???...

furthermore...as someone who was around in 1996 and had contact with Ruger about these rifles for LE use, Ruger said they developed these for LE use...

fun fact...the original paperwork I received from Ruger back when showed the PC9 and PC40 with 357 SIG coming soon...of course that never happened and I recall I bugged Ruger at least once a year until they stopped corresponding with me about the chances for the 357 SIG version...I was told they never intended to make one in that caliber until I shared the original as they sent me with those words in the ad...wish I still had that...
Well, it wasn't designed to be a patrol carbine at all, that was a marketing ploy that worked on you and a few others. The PC series was an attempt to sell a boat load a mediocre carbines to john q public. Turns out that john q public likes a more user friendly carbine and not something designed by the three stooges and the legal corps.
In my not so humble opine, Ruger should never be b$#ch slapped by the likes of Keltec but that's exactly what happened with the Sub2000. Beretta did the same with their CX series of carbines both of which are vastly superior to the PC thingy. An engineer worth half a paycheck could easily turn the PC carbines into a decent sell-able carbine but alas that was not to be.
anyway...

Bill

1 - 8 of 8 Posts