Ruger Forum banner

41 - 59 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
So got the gun back today. I put the Midwest industries hand guard on and had the exact same issues as before. Doesn't appear that Ruger fixed anything. The invoice says they tightened the barrel tension nut which means they did absolutely nothing. The barrel still doesn't point straight and still has a cant to it. Kind of at a lose on what to do. A part of me wants to get my money back for the Midwest parts and just through this gun in the safe and forget about it. I might call Ruger Monday and see if there is anything else they can do but I don't have high hopes.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
I hate to hear these issues, am considering a PCC. But I have a questions, do the MI and other aftermarket hand guards fit all the PCC’s? Or do I need to order one with the Ruger free-floating guard to be able to add an aftermarket version?

Thanks! And I am following this thread for a resolution to your problems.

·
Registered
288 Posts
I hate to hear these issues, am considering a PCC. But I have a questions, do the MI and other aftermarket hand guards fit all the PCC’s? Or do I need to order one with the Ruger free-floating guard to be able to add an aftermarket version?

Thanks! And I am following this thread for a resolution to your problems.
So if you want to get the MI hand guard you'll need to get the standard model of the PC carbine. The free float model has a completely different mounting system. It seems like most people don't have any issues with the standard model and MI hand guard. There is just a couple unlucky ones, myself included who do. Overall it's been a great gun though, very gun to shoot. Regardless of what happens with the hand guard I still plan to keep the gun and shoot it often. I just might be getting rid of the aftermarket parts.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Ok, here's the run down.

The culprit IS the take down block. I removed the old one and found that the alignment of the screw hole which holds the guard to the barrel is off center. I ordered the new block from Ruger and compared it to the old and the new one was aligned and not off center. I installed it on the barrel, attached the hand guard and it is perfectly aligned. No issues after 100 rounds and it locks up solid with no movement whatsoever.

So, in conclusion, if you are having alignment issues request a new take down block from Ruger and you should be good to go.
I decided to follow your lead and ordered a locking block from Ruger parts. I have to say, while I'm disappointed in their warranty department, their parts department has excellent customer service. Very nice lady and she sent me the part free of charge. Hopefully it fixes my issues.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Update: replaced the take down block and while it's not perfect, it does seem to have made a minor improvement. The barrel still has a slight cant to it, causing the hand guard to not line up perfectly and the barrel still doesn't look like it points perfectly straight but at this point, I'm over trying to fix it. I think the only way would be to replace the barrel all together but this being a range only plinking gun, it's just not worth it. I regret having spent $200 on the Midwest upgrades now but that's the risk we take when modifying things.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Sorry to dredge up an old thread but I just received my locking block to replace the defective one. What is the torque spec for attaching it to the barrel?

·
Registered
189 Posts
Maybe it’s time for MI to offer a complete “Precision” front end package for customers?

Match Grade Barrel
MI Hand Guard
Red Dot Mount that can co witness the Rear Site
Fiber Optic Front Site

A man can dream can’t he? Would probably costs more than the rifle, lol.

·
Registered
9 Posts
this may help out some people for those who have a slight play:

Get vibra tite 548 and apply to the takedown block which meets with the MI foreend. It will remove any play make it very snug.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Has anyone though of contacting Mcarbo out of Florida they specialized in the Kel Tec sub 2000 , but they have some Ruger PCC parts as well, they just launched a new bolt buffer which guys are claiming reduced felt recoil by 30 percent. They also have a new extractor, recoil spring, as well as trigger spring kits. They have a forum called the Mcarbo Brotherhood like hear lots of information

·
Registered
22 Posts
Has anyone though of contacting Mcarbo out of Florida they specialized in the Kel Tec sub 2000 , but they have some Ruger PCC parts as well, they just launched a new bolt buffer which guys are claiming reduced felt recoil by 30 percent. They also have a new extractor, recoil spring, as well as trigger spring kits. They have a forum called the Mcarbo Brotherhood like hear lots of information

Bought a lot of PCC parts from them, good quality. Would like to see them make a handguard.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I contacted a gun part manufacturer here in NJ he may be able to manufacture a new locking block that will fix the issue of not fitting properly into aftermarket rails. I plan on taking a trip up there on Thursday. If they can make it who would be interested in purchasing one?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Update: replaced the take down block and while it's not perfect, it does seem to have made a minor improvement. The barrel still has a slight cant to it, causing the hand guard to not line up perfectly and the barrel still doesn't look like it points perfectly straight but at this point, I'm over trying to fix it. I think the only way would be to replace the barrel all together but this being a range only plinking gun, it's just not worth it. I regret having spent $200 on the Midwest upgrades now but that's the risk we take when modifying things.

So did the takedown block improve the alignment of the handguard at all? My handguard doesn't line up perfectly. Probably the same issue as yours. Is it worth is ordering a new takedown block?

·
Registered
13 Posts
So did the takedown block improve the alignment of the handguard at all? My handguard doesn't line up perfectly. Probably the same issue as yours. Is it worth is ordering a new takedown block?
It's hit and miss. The new block I ordered had LESS wobble but still had some.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Ok for sure thanks for the response. Mine just has a bit of a twist, so my handguard is not exactly straight. Not too big a deal I guess. Thanks.
Sorry i didn't get back to you sooner. Unfortunately for me it did not fix my alignment issue. I even sent the gun back to Ruger and they sent it back to me saying everything is fine. I wound up putting the Taccom3g hand guard on it which is round so you can even tell that it's off now lol. As much as it sucks i've just gotten used to it. The gun as a whole has been great, very reliable and fun to shoot.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Sorry i didn't get back to you sooner. Unfortunately for me it did not fix my alignment issue. I even sent the gun back to Ruger and they sent it back to me saying everything is fine. I wound up putting the Taccom3g hand guard on it which is round so you can even tell that it's off now lol. As much as it sucks i've just gotten used to it. The gun as a whole has been great, very reliable and fun to shoot.
Ok thanks for the response. Yeah, either way, I'm pretty excited to shoot it!

41 - 59 of 59 Posts