Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Someone recently told me about using open jars of peanut butter to attract deer. Has anyone here tried this and does it work?

·
Super Moderator
21,469 Posts
Deer are curious and looking for high fat this time of year so it might work. I wouldn't leave the jar as that has scent on it but spread it on a rock or stump. In 3-4 different places especially along a well used deer trail.

·
Jaded James
900 Posts
I have used Vanilla Extract on cotton balls. Can't be sure if that's why but I got a nice 8 point while doing this.

Never tried peanut butter.

·
Registered
549 Posts
I think that if you are going to leave an open jar of peanut butter for the deer, you should also leave them a loaf of bread, so they can make a sandwich......Robin

·
Registered
501 Posts
While it may work and I believe it a component in some "deer blocks". That would be considered "baiting", more than likely illegal in your area, if you would actually be hunting there. Peanut butter is a common bear bait, especially mixed with honey.

·
Registered
7,608 Posts
I've heard P'nut butter works but have never tried it for deer. I know squirrels go nuts over it. I’ve used Vanilla extract which works good. I make a solution mixing the extract with water. Then I spray it on a feminine tampon that’s easy to tie to limbs or branches. Tampons works great with any deer attractant.

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
Before the big jump in Peanut product costs this year, It might have been a good 'bait-food'. But since the price has gone up so much, I think I would look for cheaper ways to draw in Bambi.

·
Banned
650 Posts
I have got the big Sam's size buckets of peanut butter and used them for deer bait with good results. I would just take an old spatula and wipe some on trees along deer trails. You have to put the peanut butter where deer live. If you put it in areas where there are no deer it won't work.

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
I have got the big Sam's size buckets of peanut butter and used them for deer bait with good results. I would just take an old spatula and wipe some on trees along deer trails. You have to put the peanut butter where deer live. If you put it in areas where there are no deer it won't work.
So the deer are there with or without the PB. :)
You may as well make yourself a PBJ. :0

·
Reloading Addict
10,714 Posts
Yeh, I've heard that and tried making up a batch one year. I mixed a large jar of crunchy peanut butter and vanilla extract in a small round tub with a bunch of 3/4" holes in it so the stuff would drip out. I hung it about 5 ft. off the ground. It dripped pretty good and does and fawns just loved it. Never seen a buck though. The problem was, with does and fawns hanging out there all the time, I didn't dare move even the slightest for fear of being busted. They would lick at it for awhile and then bed within 15ft. of it and hang out for hours.

·
Registered
7,866 Posts
I don't know, if I would I'd be in danger of heavy fines though (PA has very harsh fines for baiting)! I'd assume it would attract deer just fine, probably will attract a Bear or two as well.

·
Reloading Addict
10,714 Posts
I don't know, if I would I'd be in danger of heavy fines though (PA has very harsh fines for baiting)! I'd assume it would attract deer just fine, probably will attract a Bear or two as well.
I hear ya Trigger. I never said that it was in Pa. that I did that. Good point though.

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
Oh yeah it works! We would take the lid off of the jar and nail it to a tree (threads out) about stomach high. Leaving the foil on top of the PB jar, cut the bottom out of the jar, then srcew the jar on the lid that was nailed to the tree leaving the open bottom sticking out for the deer to snack on. They will lick that jar clean! Problem is, squirrels and coons like it a lot too. :)

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Oh yeah it works! We would take the lid off of the jar and nail it to a tree (threads out) about stomach high. Leaving the foil on top of the PB jar, cut the bottom out of the jar, then srcew the jar on the lid that was nailed to the tree leaving the open bottom sticking out for the deer to snack on. They will lick that jar clean! Problem is, squirrels and coons like it a lot too. :)
This is exactly how I was told to use it and why I asked the original question. Thank you very much for everyone's responses.

·
Reloading Addict
10,714 Posts
I saw a sign one time in a sporting goods store that said "THIS PILE OF CORN WAS PUT HERE TO FEED SQUIRRELS, TURKEY, AND BEARS. IF DEER ARE CAUGHT EATING THIS CORN, THEY WILL BE SHOT!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts