Ruger Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New 10/22 owner here with a dilemma.
I want to mount a low power scope or reflex dot sight on the 10/22, but each choice seems to bring my face too far off the stock...it just doesn't feel right when I can't get a good cheek weld.
I may look into the Williams peep sight or the Tech sight, although I would like some type of optics for my 62 year old eyes....any ideas? Anyone like the Williams or Tech sights better than a scope or reflex sight?
Thanks!

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
First off, welcome to the forum. Second, you need to install some type of cheek riser on the stock to give you a better cheek weld.

·
Registered
4,691 Posts
In my experience, the older the eyes get, the more effective the optics become.

My eye surgeon buddy says old eyeballs just don't have as much bounce (elasticity) as they used to so they can't focus like they once did. Hence the need for bifocals later in life.

·
Registered
4,915 Posts
I have used a Williams peep with excellent results, but you will need to get the set that includes the replacement front sight. Can't use the Williams peep with the factory front sight on the 10/22. Now, replacing the front sight can be anywhere from pud to a real cursing match, depending on how tight the front sight is in the dovetail on your individual gun.

I'm now at a point, though, where my eyes don't even work all that great with a peep. I've gone to a small red dot - the Bushnell TRS-25 - on one of my 10/22 Carbines and I'm in heaven, now. By far the best solution I found, yet. Keeps your cheek down lower than a scope (though slightly higher than a peep). Best of all, a small red dot allows for instant - and I do mean instant - sight acquisition, not to mention preserving the handling and feel of the carbine.

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
New 10/22 owner here with a dilemma.
I want to mount a low power scope or reflex dot sight on the 10/22, but each choice seems to bring my face too far off the stock...it just doesn't feel right when I can't get a good cheek weld.
I may look into the Williams peep sight or the Tech sight, although I would like some type of optics for my 62 year old eyes....any ideas? Anyone like the Williams or Tech sights better than a scope or reflex sight?
Thanks!
Well this is exactly where I have been going around the block about 20 times lately... :D

I have to say the answer is BOTH...

The tech sights will be nice option if you don't want a scope too...

Williams has a large selection of products that will work...but the Ace in the Hole with matching front post is what I would get to start with if I were you...

Williams Ace The Hole Sight Set Picatinny Base Ruger 10/22 Steel Blue

It is going to raise the eye level for the peep sight some...but not so much you will have problems with cheek rest on factory stock...

It has a rail you can mount a scope on...I can tell by your comments you are like me with regard to not wanting to conform to less than perfect set up with no firm cheek rest for a scope...bad news is you are not going to be able to get the same eye-level for both scope and peep sight...

Unless you do something like what I am doing and I would not think you want to go those kind of extremes right off the bat... :D

Now if you want a Red Dot AND a peep sight at the same time that will co-witness get the Nodak NDS-26 rail and matching front post...you will then need to add some material to the stock to make a cheek rest that fits you for that eye level...

Otherwise if your cheek is right for any scope with off the the shelf mounting system it will be too high for any peep sight you could come up with...and they would interfere with each other and not both be mountable at the same time...

NoDak Spud NDS-22 receivers

My personal opinion regarding Tech Sight vs. Nodak is that the Nodak is nicer fit and better looking IMO...the advantage of the T/S is you can get it with a rear elevation adjustment...however, given that the Nodak comes with a .052" ball front post (which I have one and like a LOT) and is infinitely adjustable elevation...combined with the fact that iron sights are not much good on small targets past 50 yards and in my experience even small targets do not require any elevation adjustments once zeroed at moderate range like 100' or so...and that the rear elevation on the TS200 is considerable higher than the TS100 or Nodak...and that IMO that is getting too high...all roads lead to Nodak for me...I didn't get one...because even that was not exactly what I wanted...so I am still working my custom modified peep/scope mounts/posts/peeps to get there...

Getting pretty close... :D

Here are two threads you might be interested in...my thread is regarding getting my scope as low as possible with peep sight at precisely the same eye-level so my cheek weld will be absolutely perfect for both...I also cannot have my cheek weld height rise above the center of the bore due to NRA SBS rules...which suck IMO... lol...

http://rugerforum.net/optics/59538-low_lower_lowest.html

This other one refers to having peep sight and red dot co-witness...obviously if they co-witness then eye level is same for both...and a custom cheek rest can be added/shaped to most any stock...

http://rugerforum.net/ruger-10-22-rimfire/59244-tech-sights-1022-hope-they-good-want-co-witness-through-red-dot.html

Finally...if you want to go all out on the cheek thing...check out the master instructor at TheNSSF on youtube... I saw that video several times and kind of sort of applied it...however...the third time around I went all out to do what he said and it is awesome results...!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COoXVpGfXQE

This video shows the WGRS-RU22...it is exactly the same as the Ace in the Hole except for it...like the Tech Sight...does not make it easy to add a scope at the same time...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GviVYt0QlfU

I don't have the Ace in the Hole but did use the RU22 with the factory stock and barrel and liked it a lot up to 50 yards...past that you can't see a small target very well...by small I mean a 1" bulls eye...

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,072 Posts
ZommyGun, I couldn't figure out why an eye level cheek weld was so difficult for you with a higher scope mount. I have the same thumb-through-hole adjustable Fajen stock and do not have a problem adjusting the stock for an eye level cheek weld. So you removed the adjustable cheek piece??? No wonder!

I also cannot have my cheek weld height rise above the center of the bore due to NRA SBS rules...which suck IMO
jerryboy, Rather than mounting the scope lower, you can buy a stock with an adjustable cheek piece. This provides the best cheek weld possible at eye level with virtually any scope or sighting system.

Here's my 10/22 build with a Fajen adjustable target stock:

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
I love my stock...hate the cheek piece...mine is perfect...If I had yours it would not do at all...I would start fixing it right away...lowering the scope was the perfect answer for me...that is an indisputable fact...

The adjustable one you have would potentially solve the problem of two different eye levels for both scope and peep sight as long as the peep sight was non TOP of the receiver like the Nodak or True Sight (another one who makes peep/rail combination)...or like the custom one I made...

However...the problem is the stock you have has been out of production for a long time...the only way to get one is to find a used one for sale...which I was looking for prior to getting mine off the shelf...as it turns out...I'd much rather have mine...so I got lucky...although at the time I was miffed cause I wanted the adjustable butt-piece...

That doesn't change the fact that being able to raise the cheek piece up/down easily wasn't a clever and useful idea...it is...but for the person wanting an answer regarding choosing between scope and peep or wanting both it isn't really there as a solution off the shelf...

A better option IMO would be to start out keeping the factory stock...get the Ace in the hole...use it with factory stock...its pretty right-on for the most part...then get one of those aftermarket padded cheek rests that slip on/off and there are some that lace on...for use with a scope...that would get a person by for a while at least...possibly forever...

I love my stock and wouldn't trade it for any of the other ones on the market even tho there are some that cost 3 times as much and look fabulous...with the ONLY possible exception being the Fajen walnut version of what I have...but I modify the crap out of mine so it doesn't make sense to chop up a nice piece of wood working...

BTW...What I recommend was mounting the scope on the receiver rail with low rings...which is exactly what you have in the picture...you can't tell me that scope is mounted significantly higher than it needs to be for the objective to clear the barrel...problem is where are you going to put your peep sight...you are not going to...that is the point...I am telling him he can have both and doesn't have to choose between one or the other...then if you want eye level to be same for both that is a problem...if you have an adjustable cheek piece and can set it where you want like yours that CAN negate the eye-level problem but ONLY if you plan ahead and get the right peep-sight/rail combo...if he had your stock I would recommend the Nodak or the True sight...and the eye-level would be a lot higher than yours for the scope...which is not so good IMO...

I highly recommend anyone considering these things to take to heart the advice of Ryan Cleckner as much as possible in video above when deciding what to buy for stock, scope, sights...It took me a while to fully appreciate his technique...but the results are definitely worth it IMO...

Later,
ZG

Also...I forgot to thank you lowegan for posting pics of yours...before I joined this forum I was searching for that stock and information on it...came across your pictures...that is what made me sure I wanted one...very glad I got it...It is a very well kept secret...which is too bad...it's a GREAT stock... :D

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,072 Posts
ZommyGun, Obviously you have chosen a different solution ... a very unique solution that wouldn't appeal to me or most other shooters; however, I'm glad you got your stock working for you. BTW, in the photo above, the cheek piece is well below bore line. I used a more common sense approach with "off the shelf" mounts and took advantage of stock's adjustable cheek piece feature ... which is exactly why I bought it.

Fajen still makes a nice thumb-through-hole, adjustable cheek piece, and adjustable length stock. It's also costs less than the one I bought and looks nicer because the adjustments are covered up. See: http://www.battenfeldtechnologies.com/products/photos/577898-action-1.jpg

BTW...What I recommend was mounting the scope on the receiver rail with low rings...which is exactly what you have in the picture...you can't tell me that scope is mounted significantly higher than it needs to be for the objective to clear the barrel...problem is where are you going to put your peep sight.
The scope mount on my 10/22 build uses a factory Ruger supplied 10/22 Weaver style base. The rings are "off-the shelf" Weaver brand high mounts. This places the center of the scope at 1 3/4" above bore line. My goal was to keep the front lens bell off the barrel and have enough space for the supplied pop-open lens cap ... which it does. Medium rings were too low for this 42mm scope. I can't see making a scope mount any more complicated than it needs to be. Further, I have no intention of using peep sights so that wasn't even a consideration. You may have noticed ... there's no front sight on my rifle so a peep sight would be pretty worthless.

Here's a good test ... close your eyes, shoulder the rifle, get a proper cheek weld, simulate aiming, then open your eyes. If the cheek piece is positioned properly and your scope is positioned for optimum eye relief, you should get a perfect view through the scope. In the above photo, my cheek piece and eye relief is adjusted perfect for me with this scope. Although I mostly shoot from a bench rest, it's nice to know the rifle is set up just right for off hand shooting too. With the steel .920 bull barrel, the weight of this gun is way too heavy for me to do much off hand shooting.

As always ... different strokes for different folks. Sure can't say your solution is wrong ... just not my cup of tea and way too complex for most shooters.

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
Yes that is the method in the video I linked him to...

I know you don't want peeps... :)

But I do...and I think he does too...or at least I did when I had too big a scope and wanted it off all the time...now I have a much more appropriate size scope for my liking and so the need to switch back to peeps kind of goes away...but not entirely...when I am done I will have the cheek perfected...and the eye level for scope and peep sight will be precisely the same...its worth the effort to me...not suggesting anyone else do it tho...

The link you put up IS my stock...the cheek is not adjustable...it can be modified...that fact that it goes away easily is the best thing about IMO...

The lop is somewhat adjustable...but nothing like yours...it can be modified...the insert can be removed...mine is gone...but the cant and heel drop are fixed...and if you want an in between lop you have fab your own butt plate...which is fine...that is actually why I like it so much...I can make it what I want by making my own parts for it...

That cheek piece is extremely uncomfortable there is no way to get the results I insist on having for myself with that thing in place...

I make mine using Ryan Cleckner's method...when I am sure all else is done on mine I will sculpt a permanent one...probably from expanding foam and covered in leather...but for now it's layers of closed cell foam stretch wrapped into place...

I love that stock...not everyone will tho...and you can tell that right away by how many people DON'T have one...and by looking at what other people like instead...

We are much closer on this than you care to admit... :D

Well this thread touches home for me and I have to tell you all it took me a long time to sort thru all the options...trial and error different peeps/posts/scopes/rails/stocks...but I am almost home with mine...I think... :D

Bottom line is I am not trying to tell anyone what to do just point out the options and the fact that you don't have to choose one or the other you can choose both and can do a decent cheek support for both as well if you want to...

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
I love my Tech Sights, but also love my scopes too. For me, it depends on the rifle and what I want to do with it.

·
Banned
359 Posts
The Tech-Sights are great: easy to adjust, quick to acquire the target, good sight picture, especially if you get the optional small aperture kit. I'm going to try painting the tip of the front sight hi-viz orange to provide contrast against the bull, or alternatively installing a Lyman globe front sight to get an Anschutz-style sight picture.

But today I acknowledged the effects of old age and bought a Nikon ProStaff 3-9x40 BDC for my new 10/22, for twice what the Tech-Sights cost. The $30 rebate from Optics Planet helped a little and the recent, painful memory of not being able to see the lowest rank of targets on the Appleseed AQT made it an easy decision. I was considering a Williams FP/Lyman setup but the magnification will make my life much easier and the all-in budget was about the same.

Everyone should have a 10/22 with iron sights, and another one with a scope.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all the great replies!
I have ordered the Williams Peep Sight set with the higher gold bead front...I'll try that first, then it's on to glass if that doesn't work.
Thanks again.

·
Registered
2,523 Posts

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Note that peep sight is on a rail and can slide forward and back...how many 10/22's have you see with high mount peep sights and adjustable eye-relief... :D

It actually makes a big difference in focus to me...

The ball in the center of the globe in the center of the peep is an awesome sight picture...most globes are too small I.D. and block too much light...the walls are too thick...in some cases the ball is not centered...the result is an obscured and dark target...with this one even with a .050" diameter target peep...I can see light around the globe and half the world inside it...the ball is on the target with an even light ring around the globe the target is nailed down...and it happens easy, automatically, fast...another feature of the sliding peep was that I was not only able to focus it better...I was also able to get the light ring surrounding the globe to be dialed in where I liked it...

The rail it is mounted on also accepts a scope...only problem for me is that the cheek if perfected for the peep is too low for the scope...and if perfected for the scope is too high for use of the peep...the nice part is they interchange fast and easy...

lowegan's adjustable cheek is a good deal if it fits you...otherwise a removable one may work out a lot better...

This is the 28mm scope mounted to the Weaver TO-9 rail with Weaver Low rings...the rail is .175" thick...the center of the scope has approx. .05" of clearance to top of rail with that scope/ring combo...there is approximately .240" clearance from objective to .920 bull barrel...

·
Registered
37 Posts
I don't like scopes because of pointing the scope first, and then the rifle. If you don't aim your scope right, you'll look through it and not see your target, and have to peek around the thing until you get it right.

When you have an effective range of maybe 100 yards (for hunting), iron sights work just fine. My eyes are getting old, and I need glasses to read. I can't focus on close-in things like sights on a rifle.

Luckily, I don't need to be able to focus on the rifle sights. You can't focus on both the target and the sights, it just plain can't be done, by anyone. And I always shoot with both eyes open, which 'paints' the rifle sights onto the target. As long as I can see the target clear and sharp, which I still can, I can aim just as well as when I was 17.

I'd go with the notched rear sight instead of the peep version though. I've worked out two different iron sight setups for the Ruger 10/22 and you can find them both at bestruger1022 | If these aren't the best Ruger 10/22s, they're certainly the most interesting.

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
I'm now at a point, though, where my eyes don't even work all that great with a peep. I've gone to a small red dot - the Bushnell TRS-25 - on one of my 10/22 Carbines and I'm in heaven, now. By far the best solution I found, yet. Keeps your cheek down lower than a scope (though slightly higher than a peep). Best of all, a small red dot allows for instant - and I do mean instant - sight acquisition, not to mention preserving the handling and feel of the carbine.
+1 ... hard to beat a good red dot sight on a 10/22. I have 20 20 vision but I am no spring chicken. I have a 10/22 with a Tech Sight 100 and one with a quality red dot. I do well with both, but the red dot allows much more consistently centered groups.

Let's face it, a scope will probably out-do either.

North Country Gal is quite right that if you want a Tech Sight you must replace the front sight of your 10/22 with the Tech Sight. For the TS100 you actually adjust elevation by adjusting the front sight. The stock Ruger front sight is notoriously difficult to remove; I had my Smith do it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts