Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
5,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today while cleaning my 10/22 is noticed that the bluing on the barrel under the barrel band is wearing off. It's a new birch stock model I bought a few months ago with the polymer barrel band. Why is this happening? I have always been careful when removing and re-installing it. Seems to me my barrel must be moving around when I fire it.

I knew I should have forked over the bucks to buy the sporter, but I was a tightwad. Would not be having this problem if I had bought the deluxe.

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
How tight do you have the band? Generally, keeping the band on just tight enough to prevent it from sliding off will get you better accuracy and might prevent a bit of blueing wear. In fact, I know some folks that leave the band off for the sake of accuracy.

·
Registered
5,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I try to keep it just snug enough so it doesn't come off. I would leave it off but it doesn't look nice without it.

·
Registered
873 Posts
I just bought an "evil" dragunov style stock that doesn't have a barrel band and covers where it used to go.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
I don't know about polymer mine is metal but it likes to be tight no blue rubbing off & it'll shoot some tiny groups. I know a lot of people will say it has to be free floating for best accuracy not true with mine.

·
Registered
6,722 Posts
One reason that I refuse to buy blued guns. For me, it's stainless all the way.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Today while cleaning my 10/22 is noticed that the bluing on the barrel under the barrel band is wearing off. It's a new birch stock model I bought a few months ago with the polymer barrel band. Why is this happening? I have always been careful when removing and re-installing it. Seems to me my barrel must be moving around when I fire it.

I knew I should have forked over the bucks to buy the sporter, but I was a tightwad. Would not be having this problem if I had bought the deluxe.
I can help you....send the rifle to me immediately...you should not have to look at that thing any longer......LOL

·
Registered
41 Posts
A trick that some folks like to do is carefully relieve the inside of the band where it touches the barrel. That way you can keep it on your rifle but by not contacting the barrel it will help preserve the finish.

·
Registered
5,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
What would cause normal wear under band?
Exactly. Since my barrel and barrel band are both clean, taking it off and putting it back on is not causing the wear. If the barrel is moving around, either from normal shooting, or perhaps if the take down screw gets loose, that is the only cause I can think of.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
I have two 10/22s one bought new in 1972 the other new in 1987 neither have blue wearing off under band.

·
Former Hoadpiler
32,418 Posts
Exactly. Since my barrel and barrel band are both clean, taking it off and putting it back on is not causing the wear. If the barrel is moving around, either from normal shooting, or perhaps if the take down screw gets loose, that is the only cause I can think of.
I guess the degree of wear is at issue. All of my blued 10/22's have wear under the band but its minimal. Do you have pictures?

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
I'm no expert but I would think if barrel is moving around that much it would affect accuracy.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts