Ruger Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking at the Pelican 1550 and it's just so big. I want to place the handguns such that when you open the case the pistols sit with grip pointed down and barrel parallel to the top of the foam. I believe I could fit 4 semis and 2 revolvers (gp100 and sp101).

I also was thinking the 1500 or IM2300 which is smaller, though the inside depth is only around 6.20 inches (IM2300) and not sure that is enough for a GP100 which is 6" from top of the sight to bottom of grip. This is not necessarily for air travel at this time, but would be for going to the field. Or do I need the extra clearance that the 1550 has?

·
Registered
301 Posts
More Info

I was looking at the Pelican 1550 and it's just so big. I want to place the handguns such that when you open the case the pistols sit with grip pointed down and barrel parallel to the top of the foam. I believe I could fit 4 semis and 2 revolvers (gp100 and sp101).

I also was thinking the 1500 or IM2300 which is smaller, though the inside depth is only around 6.20 inches (IM2300) and not sure that is enough for a GP100 which is 6" from top of the sight to bottom of grip. This is not necessarily for air travel at this time, but would be for going to the field. Or do I need the extra clearance that the 1550 has?
Please give us the the sizes as if you were looking at the case CLOSED and the handle facing you. I have used these cases before and IMHO you can not go wrong. I used one that had all my Nikon equipment inside and I mean a lot. I used the smaller for a S&W .38 x6" (I think) it was a Model 14 full target and a Ruger Mk 2 I believe with also a 6" barrel. I only took .38 ammo x 200. The .22LR ammo I bought down there (Argentina)
THE KEY TO GETTING A LOT OF GEAR IN A SMALL CASE OR ANY CASE IS THE FOAM YOU USE.
I used a hard closed cell grey/black foam that I believe was call ECTA foam.
I had a professional case maker because he knew what he was doing and HAD ALL THE RIGHT EQUIPMENT.
A little here. When I went to clear the guns the cases were vacuum seal from being in the cargo compartment. I removed the locks and opened the latches and the guy could not get the cases open. I the released the purge valves and they opened with ease.
You are on the right track.

Good Luck

Winggunner and The Dawg

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm looking to put in several pistols with the largest being the GP100. I want to put in 6 pistols and I was thinking 1" going left to right once I open the case. TheGP100 is the largest. If I open the case with the handle facing me, I would want to look down and see the top of the pistols (the sights) with the base of the handle on the bottom of the case and the sights the first thing I see. I would want to see the bore closest to the hinges and the breech closes to the handle of the case. As I said the GP100 is the largest with a 6" distance from base of handle to top of sight.

Here's is the package I would like to use: IM2300
"Interior" dimensions: 17.00" x 11.70" x 6.20" (43.2 x 29.7 x 15.7 cm)

Though in talking with Pelican today they recommended around a 1" on bottom at top and said to either go with a 1550 or a 2075 which give me more top/bottom room. The IM2300 would only give me 0.20 inches on a GP100 since it's a 6.20" depth.

The options they mentioned:
1550: 18.43" x 14.00" x 7.62" (46.8 x 35.5 x 19.3 cm)
2075: 9.50" x 7.50" x 7.25" (24.1 x 19 x 18.4 cm)

Though the 2075 doesn't have as much width for the length of the GP100 unless I go diagonal. At least it gives me more top/bottom room with it being over 7". I have thought about just going with two 2075, one for the semis (shorter height) and one for the revolvers like the GP100 going diagonal instead of using a single case.

But if the foam you mentioned helps, then I definitely like that idea!!!

Worse case if it doesn't fit my guns, I can use it for my camera equipment as well!

·
Registered
301 Posts
Some Idea's

Have you been to their website at Pelican?

Get some heavy duty Foam core. Place your weapons on the a cut out the size of the case you think you want. You only need about 1/4 to 3/8 clearance so make an allance for that. If your fit than than you are home free.
Start think about a case where it opens into equal halves. that will hold 1/2 of your weapons. I know Ihave said this, BUT THE FOAM IS THE KEY. with the right foam, which is very dence and with weapons it will be like a full case of foam,
I am not familar with this site so bare with me.

I would be happy to help you get the right stuff.

send me a private message and your phone and your address I will send a piece of the foam so you can see what I am talking about.
Once again I mention THAT YOU WOULD BE BETTER OFF TO GET PRO. ON CUTTING TO DO THAT FOR YOU.

I must get some rest now.

winggunner and The Dawg

Sorry for the spellings

·
Banned
2,189 Posts
When dealing with Pelican cases, always remember bigger is better. Don't buy one that is 'just big enough'. It's better to have to carry a slightly larger case instead of damaging pistols.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just talked to Pelican and they recommended around at least almost a 1" around all sides. They actually recommended the 2075 (but then might need two), 1510, 2500, or the big 1550.

I'll hit you with a PM wingunner.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts