Ruger Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pennsylvania pulls CCH repciprocity

4K views 20 replies 12 participants last post by  Krein 
#1 ·
Our group was just notified of some actions taken by Pennsylvania's anti-gun attorney general to stop recognizing other states' CCH permits.

Here's the letter I wrote the Pennsylvania governor. I urge others to get in contact with him:

E-mail Pennsylvania Governor Corbett at:
Governor@PA.gov

Dear Governor Corbett:

I'm very disappointed to learn that Pennsylvania Attorney General Kathleen Kane has chosen to exceed her statutory authority and modify or delete reciprocity agreements concerning the discreet carry of personal defense firearms. I understand that several states have been targeted, and this is very unfortunate.

While it is possible that I personally could legally carry my firearm in Pennsylvania (so far), I will not lend my support and tourist dollars to a state that makes traveling citizens less safe and is actively trying to infringe on my, and my fellow citizens' rights. I'm also urging others to suspend any planned visits to PA and to avoid doing business with PA-based businesses until this situation is resolved.

I hope you and the legislature will act quickly to bring Attorney General Kane into compliance with Pennsylvania statutes and demonstrate that your state still respects constitutionally recognized individual rights.

Please let me know when your state is again open for business and tourism. I will continue to monitor this situation via the Firearms Coalition and Grass Roots North Carolina.

Sincerely,

See less See more
#2 ·
#4 ·
PA has fairly lax gun laws, but I had not heard about this... I don't see this as working out too well here in PA for their agenda. Of course the Democrat Tom Wolf, likely our next Gov., is anti-gun and anti-hunting... Somehow, despite the polls, I think he's going to lose....

#5 ·
Dang it - I was hoping they'd go the other way - I have to drive through PA for business to WV - and while WV recognizes Ohio, PA does not. Yes I know I can get a PA license - but they don't do it by mail anymore. On top of that most of the customers I visit while in WV are posted so maybe better to not carry since I would have to leave it in the car to be legal and don't need the car broken into.

#7 ·
#11 ·
That's what it looks like to me as well. This appears to only impact PA residents. They will need a PA CC license. After skimming over a couple links, I don't see where she changed anything for out of state guests while visiting PA on their home state permits.

Perhaps I misread it.

#10 · (Edited)
Her, and her party's belief, is that PA residents who can't qualify for a PA carry permit obtain an out of state non-resident permit. This is called "the Florida Loophole" by CeasefirePA and the Democrats.

They believe the non-resident permit holders are responsible for the "epidemic of gun violence" in our communities. [I am outside daily at 5:00A and can report no gunfire in my community so we must not be infected yet.]

Kane is not an idiot. IMO she is in the AG office only as a stepping stone and flying the Anti-2A flag is a party requirement. Especially to get the Allegheny County and Philadelphia area Democratic support.

Supposedly her campaign was dead in the water until about $250k of Bloomberg money arrived.

EDIT: I just read a Washington Post article that put Bloomberg's personal contribution at $674,000.

#13 ·
If I'm not mistaken, the entire reciprocity thing in Pa started when a Pa resident was turned down locally for a carry permit but then obtained a non resident permit from another state (with less stringent requirements) which was recognized by Pa at the time. This allowed the Pa resident to carry in Pa without a resident permit. There is more to it but that is the general gist of it. Add that to an anti gun attorney general and we have what we have.

#16 ·
The problem is Philadelphia authorities would simply deny permits to people living in the city without good cause, and then fight like hell to uphold their denial.

So people in Philadelphia got discouraged and started to get Florida permits and carry on those.

So Kane got elected with Bloomberg money and started rewriting the reciprocity agreements with various states to say PA would only recognize resident permits. Other states she just canceled reciprocity entirely.

Her predecessor was the opposite; he stated explicitly that reciprocity was based on the issuing state without regard to the residence of the person with the permit.

The side effect is people in NJ, who can't get NJ permits because the state doesn't issue them, now can't carry in PA on their nonresident Florida and Utah permits when they visit to go to the shooting ranges there.

Kane sees that as a feature and not a bug.

In the mean time, PA courts have said PA residents cannot carry on out of state permits even if they are otherwise recognized. So that issue is resolved, but of course she isn't going to go back to recognizing nonresident permits. She wants to limit carry as much as she can.

Also, in the mean time, the drug dealers and gang bangers in Philadelphia are going on their business as if nothing happened.

Lesson: don't ignore state attorney general elections. The Bloomberg people were way ahead of the curve on this one.

#18 ·
The problem is Philadelphia authorities would simply deny permits to people living in the city without good cause, and then fight like hell to uphold their denial.

So people in Philadelphia got discouraged and started to get Florida permits and carry on those.

So Kane got elected with Bloomberg money and started rewriting the reciprocity agreements with various states to say PA would only recognize resident permits. Other states she just canceled reciprocity entirely.
Ah, I see.

That sucks that PA allows local political hacks to change the rules on qualified citizens. Hopefully you guys can put enough heat on your state legislature to ban local governments from playing games with peoples rights.

After my earlier post, I also see that some out of state visitors have been impacted as well. UT residents seem to have lost carry rights while visiting. If I have read correctly.... Others as well? I didn't research enough.

Hopefully she will be sent packing in the next election.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.