Ruger Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Right now I have a new vaquero 45 lc with a 4 5/8 in barrel that I normally carry when roaming the woods. I also have a super blackhawk 44mag with a 4 5/8 in barrel that I have converted to a bisley grip frame but the gun just feels too heavy to carry around all day. I have a 50th anniversary 44mag which has a 6 1/2 in barrel but is the same frame and grip size as my new vaquero plus adjustable sights. I have been considering sending my 50th ann. back to ruger to have the barrel shortened to 4 5/8 in and think this would be the ultimate packin pistol. Has anyone on this forum had this kind of work done by ruger and if so what kind of price, quality and turnaround time does ruger have.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I don't see anything wrong with the Vaquero unless you're hikin' in bear country. Modern .45LC is a pretty good round.

·
Delta2
1,588 Posts
I live in suburbia so even if I venture out into the "woods" on some of the bike trails or at the lakes I kayak in, I'm never really too out there so most of the time I just have my SR22p (in a pack) and/or LC9 (in my pocket). If I really venture out there farther away from my immediate area my gf and I may pack her 686 in .357. That kind of firepower is usually fine for the wild back country of MA [insert sarcasm].

·
Registered
112 Posts
Lcr .38 for me. I know it's not the most powerful round but it's always with me. I just like how light weight it is and easy to carry.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Right now I have a new vaquero 45 lc with a 4 5/8 in barrel that I normally carry when roaming the woods. I also have a super blackhawk 44mag with a 4 5/8 in barrel that I have converted to a bisley grip frame but the gun just feels too heavy to carry around all day. I have a 50th anniversary 44mag which has a 6 1/2 in barrel but is the same frame and grip size as my new vaquero plus adjustable sights. I have been considering sending my 50th ann. back to ruger to have the barrel shortened to 4 5/8 in and think this would be the ultimate packin pistol. Has anyone on this forum had this kind of work done by ruger and if so what kind of price, quality and turnaround time does ruger have.
Ruger will not shorten the barrel. They will only repair or replace what was originally on the pistol. Personally the 45 colt Ruger is your best option. It can be loaded to out perform the 44 mag with less pressure. particularly if you are ever in bear country. Since you have the New Vaquero any rounds up to 20-23kpsi will be safe. which means you can still get heavy boolits to run at 1000-1200 fps.

Here is a link to a great article by John Linebaugh:

Linebaugh's Custom Sixguns - The .45 Colt - Dissolving the Myth, Discovering the Legend

Regards

Rod

·
Registered
6,529 Posts
Yup, Ruger won't do work so that the end result is that of a non-cataloged variation. rather than go the route of altering the gun(s), concentrate on getting a GOOD holster/belt combination. Get a GOOD set-up and the weight isn't an issue. Carry both large frame Rugers and small SP101 and no negligible difference. SOO much depends on GOOD gear.

·
Registered
498 Posts
I know my dad, and grandfather carried a S&W 629 "Trail Boss" I think it's called. Basically a .44Mag snubbie. Loud and somewhat uncomfortable to shoot, but if you need it..

·
Banned
4,407 Posts
The Bearcat is described as a good hiking and trail gun.

You guys are all wanting hand cannons, expecting grizzlies to jump you any second........:rolleyes:

Just how far back in the "back woods" does everyone hike......:D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts