Ruger Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well this is my first year to deer hunt. I am doing it on my own (with the help of a lot of books) and as cheaply as possible (minus the awesome BLR I bought). That means I will be on public walk-in hunting land.

I applied for an antlerless tag and it just came in the mail! I don't know what the demand is for them in Sam Houston Nat'l Forest where I will be, but I am extremely excited now! I have been checking the mail daily for a month looking for the permit.

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
Oh, man. You are going to have FUN FUN FUN! Good luck on your hunt.

What caliber is that BLR you have?

·
Registered
483 Posts
Congratulations! You're going to have SO MUCH FUN!!
Nice choice of rifle, too! :thumbsup:

·
Banned
4,779 Posts
Well this is my first year to deer hunt. I am doing it on my own (with the help of a lot of books) and as cheaply as possible (minus the awesome BLR I bought). That means I will be on public walk-in hunting land.

I applied for an antlerless tag and it just came in the mail! I don't know what the demand is for them in Sam Houston Nat'l Forest where I will be, but I am extremely excited now! I have been checking the mail daily for a month looking for the permit.
Welcome to the club ....be warned its very addictive....good luck and keep us posted.;)....two things that are real important when you first start out and they are number one dont succumb to BUCK FEVER ....it can be pretty exciting chasing and bringing down that first kill and sometimes especially in low light things arent quite what they seem...always identify your target,and secondly be aware at all times WHERE YOU ARE....i have seen a lot of new hunters get excited chasing an animal and lose track of where they are....here in NZ we have some very unforgiving bush and if you dont keep your wits about you it can swallow you up in a heartbeat,always be prepared and pack a few survival items into your pockets or a small day back ....other than that ENJOY!!!.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Nice gun, and congrats! Enjoy.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well I went out saturday and sat in a ground blind from 6-6 and didn't se a thing. I didn't go Sunday because it rained on and off. Went out today (I have to se my vacation days or I lose them) and hiked a whole lot and called in a 4 point! I didn't get a chance to take a shot, but I will be back tomorrow! It took 15 hrs to see my first deer, but when he came running up it was about as exciting as anything else I've done in my life. He stopped no more than 30-35 yards away from me before running off. It definitely hooked me!

·
Super Moderator
21,876 Posts
Been camping at Double Lake in the SHNF at Coldspring. Good luck on getting some meat for the freezer and most of all enjoy the hunt.

·
Super Moderator
21,876 Posts
It seems busy with some major roads thru there but there is a lot of area so I imagine there are plenty of deer. If you have scouted your area then that is what I would stick with.

We come in off 59 with our 5th wheel and usually spend a night in early Dec and again on the way home in March. Last year we went right by from Atlanta SP to Matagorda. Nice park at Double Lake and nice area but I have not hunted it.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Success! I will post a picture tomorrow, but I shot a 5 pointer this morning! His 6th was broken off. I am pretty sure he is the one I saw Monday. I shot him at 7:30 am and finished butchering at 7:30 pm. Today was without a doubt the hardest I have ever worked for food! It took me 2 hours to field dress him since I've never done it before and was on my own. Then it was another hour and a half of hauling him through the woods close to a mile to the truck.

All in all it was an awesome day and I am totally hooked!

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,898 Posts
Congratulations on a successful hunt! Some have gone many deer seasons without anything to put in the freezer. Looking forward to seeing the photos.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

Well here he is! Butchered and froze the quarters today. Thanks to everyone that helped and gave advice on handling, etc.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts