Ruger Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have noticed that there are quite a few guys on this board that have been/are in the military. I was wondering what the rules are for private firearm ownership are for the U.S. Army? I have heard many different things, and was just curious what people who have been in have to say about it.

If it makes a difference I will be living in family housing or off base.

Thanks for any help you guys can give me, and if this is the wrong place to ask I apologize.

T

·
Code Slinger
2,203 Posts
If you live in the barracks, firearms must be kept in the arms room, or off base.

I am not sure about on base housing, never lived in them, but if I was to take a guess, I think your allowed to keep them.

The military has no jurisdiction off-base, do as you please.

You are allowed to keep firearms in the units arms room regardless where you live. The arms room is a well protected vault, and checking in and out firearms is actually quite easy. So if you have anything that is a collectors item or worth something, you may want to consider the arms room.

I served 8 years in the U.S. Army, and got out in 97.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Great, that seems pretty fair. Is there any limits to the number you can have? lol

·
Code Slinger
2,203 Posts
I lived in the barracks, and I kept 14 in the arms room. They gave me my own locker :D

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Code Slinger
2,203 Posts
The military is pro-firearms, they just don't like them in the barracks.

The barracks are like college dorms; a lot of parting, fighting, etc. It's a good idea to NOT have guns readily available to these guys.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I completely understand why they don't want them in the barracks, and agree frankly. I just wasn't sure if they were easy to get in/out of lock up, and I did not know what the rules were if you did not live in the barracks.

Thanks again for the good info.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Just a little side note on personal arms. Many years ago, I was stationed in Spain. Most of those who lived off base had personal firearms. Heck, one of the first questions I was ask when I reported in was what type of guns I brought with me. Seemed the local ETA types would occassionally think an American GI would be a good target. At any rate, when Francisco Franco died, things were a bit up in the air. Some of us figured out that there were probably more personally owned firearms available than what they had in the armory. Another wonderful thing, way back then, was that firearms could be purchased at the rod and gun club for some fairly good prices.

·
Registered
842 Posts
I baby sat a Glock 17 and a 1911 for quite a few years for my son. He didn't like the idea of someone he didn't know well being in charge of his guns. I kept them well shot to make sure they were in working order on his return home:)

·
Registered
14 Posts
I live in base housing, with the Navy though. They let us keep our guns with us but they have to be registered with the base armory.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I was an AF cop on a joint reserve base run by the Navy. I bought a shotgun and had to jump through all sorts of hoops to have it on base. They wouldn't let me keep it in the armory, my room, or my truck. So I took it to my SNCO and told him what the deal was (he put it in his personal gear locker for me). Gotta love those hunter type people.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
I gotta figure something out, too...going to Fort Sill north of Lawton for my boy's graduation from boot camp...Okla honors my Tx permit but I don't think that applies to Uncle Sam's Army base...I've gotta get ahold of the base and find out what to do...hope they're pro-gun enough to let me check it at the bar or something....

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
My brother was in the Navy for 16 years. When in California he kept his firearms in his off base apartment. He sold his firearms when he left California. He had none in Hawii do to the state laws. He always followed state laws first as to gun ownership.
He did have personel weapons on board a couple of his ships. He got the CO's approval to do so. They were kept in the ships amoury.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts