Ruger Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I find it interesting how your perspective changes over time. Some of the
change is from age and financial capability, and the rest is from changes
(such as the Head Narcissist In Charge) that we didn't want anyway.

I was thinking about .22lr ammo. Back when I first started shooting I was
in "hog heaven" if I had two extra boxes of ammo. By the time I got out of
High School and was working, it was cartons (now usually called bricks).

I'll just bet that, if they were available, most on the forum would now have
two or more cases on the shelf. :eek: Something about going from a day's
shooting, to a week's shooting, now to multiple years shooting.

But then again, I'll bet that most of us would let the stock dwindle a bit
after three or six years with ammo readily available. ;)

Anyone think it could happen?

·
Banned
551 Posts
I know I've piled up a lot more ammo than usual in the last few months and still adding on.
These 'shortages' have got me spooked.

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts
Will always maintain a few cases.

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,898 Posts
22LR is the only ammo that I could be guilty of hoarding. After the past couple years of scarcity I just can't resist the compulsion to buy some when I see some. And while I do enjoy shooting 22s (I have the usual assortment of 22 rifles and handguns) I probably have enough 22LR to last me 4 or 5 YEARS at the rate I shoot it. And yet I buy more.

I used to simply grab a couple of bricks when I was planning to go to the range that weekend - it was cheap and abundant. I never stocked up on it. Not any more.

I took off a few days last week and spent a lot of time on the range. After I was finished up the last time I counted up all I had shot over several days with multiple sessions each day and I tallied up 1,620 rounds total - 22LR, 9MM, 38 Special, 357 Mag, 44 Mag, 45ACP, 5.56 and 308 Win. In fact I shot up all I had of the 9MM, 38, 357, 44 mag and 45ACP. In the past I wouldn't have worried about it - would have restocked a bit prior to the next range trip for what I needed that day. But now I feel vulnerable and unprepared. I find myself cruising the local shops and picking up a few boxes here and there - including more 22LR that I don't need but can't help buying.

Yup my perspective has changed for sure. There's just no such thing as too much ammo I guess.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
"Buy it when you see it" HAD been my montra for the past few years, but now things are changing. I've passed by several bricks lately without a thought now that I have over 15,000 rounds stockpiled. The biggest difference is in my shooting tendencies. The .22s just don't get shot much anymore and I've shifted my focus to reloading centerfire cartridges.

·
Banned
2,566 Posts
Kinda brings home that old saying, buy it cheap, stack it deep.

What has me looking for things right now is the fact that next year is an election year and there is a good possibility we could get another hard core anti gun liberal in office that has learned from bozo that the pen is mightier than congress.

If this looks a reality, you will see things disappear so fast from shelves it will astound you. 2013 will look like a picnic in the park.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I've been buying when I see it for a reasonable price. Finally stopped buying when I hit the 3,000 round mark.

·
Registered
5,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Falcon II said:
What has me looking for things right now is the fact that next year is an
election year and there is a good possibility we could get another hard core
anti gun liberal in office that has learned from bozo that the pen is mightier
than congress.
True. But I'm reminded that the first "wave" of this brought the prices from
3 cents per round to just over four. It then went back down a little, only to go
WAY up. :eek:

Interesting how that has happened so many times. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
876 Posts
I know this is has been kicked around and still kicked around but just yesterday, when at my local home town Ace Hardware, the staff was excited to let me know that they were going to begin selling ammo. They said they can get all the ammo they need "except" 22LR.

Their supplier told them that the shortage is due to the government buying large bulks of ammo. I find that excuse fairly lame. It's easy to blame the government but I'm quite confident that consumer "ammo hoarding" is the real reason.

I remember when a guy could buy a couple 50 round boxes for an afternoon of plinking or dig around in a drawer in his shop to gather up a dozen rounds to go squirrel hunting. Now, in just this post alone, guys are saving thousands of rounds and still buying more when not too long ago a guy never owned more than a brick at on time. I myself shoot 300 to 500 rounds a week and have my own hoarding stockpile and plan to pick up more today. This craze might of started by threats of government gun bans, etc. but the almighty dollar and our own hoarding got us where we are today.

I find that our current government is the problem with most of our woes but I would be
quite surprised that they have mountains of 22LR hid away in some secret bunker.

Ace can't get 22LR to sell in their local retail store but I doubt if the local store clerks know the real reason. I really think the shortage is consumer driven not government conspiracies. So let's get off of the government for this problem and just consider that the problem could be us. Anyway the government is too busy erasing emails to go out plinking.

·
Super Moderator
21,398 Posts
I had 3 bricks when the "shortage" started and I have 3 bricks now and never bought a round. I use 22 for pest control and when I go to the range the 22's stay home. I reload and prefer to shoot what I roll myself.

·
Banned
29,620 Posts
We sold our house of 27years last fall and I was astounded at the ammo I found. Over 25 k rounds not counting 22lr and I had been shooting some off for a few months as our house was for sale.

·
From Land of Fruit & Nuts
12,955 Posts
I'm trying to remember what 22lr means.
Is it slang?
An acronym? ... :eek:

·
Banned
1,136 Posts
With the humongous amount of auto .22lr guns being sold today I doubt you will ever see .22lr on the shelves again anytime soon. Mail order maybe a different story.

In fact I'm even thinking of selling my Ruger/Kidd 10/22 in the near future. No sense in having a rifle you can't find ammo for.

·
Registered
4,548 Posts
10 years ago, I bought the ammo for a range trip when I arrived at the range.

In 2013, I had two occasions when I brought my new SR9c to the range, and brought it home without firing because the range was out of 9mm.

Now I keep enough of a stock and always bring what I intend to shoot. To me, that is the new reality.

·
Banned
551 Posts
10 years ago, I bought the ammo for a range trip when I arrived at the range.

In 2013, I had two occasions when I brought my new SR9c to the range, and brought it home without firing because the range was out of 9mm.

Now I keep enough of a stock and always bring what I intend to shoot. To me, that is the new reality.
I do too, but when asked do I need any ammo, I always ask for 357 or 22 mag, which they didn't have in stock for ever. Now they have it. I don't know if I actually had any impact but I figure it can't hurt and I can always use it when I take those caliber guns to the range.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts