Ruger Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is the Star Model B I just received from AIM this afternoon. It was exactly as advertised and I think it actually looks a little better than the one they show on their website. There's about 14 pictures so it may take a while to load.

The Star Model B is based off a simplified version of the 1911 design. It holds 8+1 rounds of 9mm Luger. This one was built in 1943 during WWII under contract from Bulgaria. It was captured and refinished by the Russians who then stored it for later use or sale. There is no import mark that I have found.

Here it is as it came from AIM:

When I pulled the gun out it was dripping with oil. I wiped down the outside to take a few "before" pictures.

The bluing is very deep and is pretty much 100% throughout the gun. There are a few spots where there is a nick or two but nothing major. As you can see in this picture the bluing almost fills in the engravings just like the one pictured on AIM's website.

The wood grips were in really good shape, they were just covered in oil and grease.

This is what they looked like underneath.

This is the grease that was covering all of the gun.

Here it is fully disassembled.

A close up of the interior grease.

Here's the gun after removing the grease and cleaning up the wood on the grips.

In case anyone was interested in what the sights look like.

All in all I am very pleased with it. Everything on the gun works great. I read some stories about the Russian rebuilds having issues with the safety functioning due to the mix-matched parts but this one works fine. It's pouring the rain right now (which it hasn't really done in over a month here in KY) so I can't shoot it yet. I've got a training thing this weekend with the Army so it will probably be late Sunday or later on during the week before I can post a range report. I'm looking forward to shooting it, it has the exact same feel as a 1911. I'm going to take it in to my local gun store sometime this week and see if it fits in a standard 1911 holster. Parts may not be interchangeable between the Model B and a 1911 but it looks like it should fit in a 1911 holster perfectly.

Here's the link to AIM's site if anyone is interested:
http://www.aimsurplus.com/acatalog/WWII_Star_B_9mm_Pistol.html

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Called a labor of love...
well worth the elbow grease.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts