Ruger Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This is my third Ruger. 1st is a 10/22, second is a 22/45 LITE (gold) (now that I found out there are more than one style). and today I picked up a MARK I Bull barrel.

It is used and ABUSED! I nearly stold it from the guy selling. I have been looking for this gun for quite some time. It is rusty in a few places, it has been beat on for some reason behind the safety switch, blueing is nearly gone in most areas.

I picked it up to cerakote and play with, make it my own. Didnt want to buy something in good shape at all, didnt want to destroy something original that wasnt already destroyed.

Now Im thinking colors. Im also thinking upgrades, replacing anything that should be replaced. I bet this thing has had a million and a half shells put through it.

I would love to hear opinions!!! Im not down with everything and I do have ideas of my own but Id love to hear what you all think! Is this a good idea to start with?

Its a piece of CRAP right now but I cant wait to get started on it (after my 4 days out of town starting tomorrow)

What says you all? :D

http://s1216.beta.photobucket.com/user/gongchuan/library/RUGER MARK I ReBUILD?#/user/gongchuan/library/RUGER MARK I ReBUILD?&_suid=135791912436808686015921937022

·
Registered
13 Posts
I think my first gun was a Mark 1. Got it about 40 yrs ago. Fun to shoot. And i think its in great condition. Just got back into shooting and I always take it to the range with me.

·
Registered
4,954 Posts
It may have been abused and beat to a pulp, but I wouldn't call any Mark I a piece of crap, simply because it looks rough on the outside. Unless some one has taken a hammer and a crowbar to the insides, it will still likely shoot like a house on fire. I picked up a '65 vintage Mark I in similar shape and, let me tell you, it keeps right up with my Mark III target models.

In other words, don't be too quick to judge a book by its cover. A lot of old Marks have gotten beat up by being carried and/or stored in less than ideal places, such as the bottom of a tackle box, under the seat of a truck and so on, but weren't necessarily shot a great deal.

For the sake of tradition and to maintain an old Mark's value, I would simply opt to have it polished up and reblued. Once you cerakote it or use any other high tech coating, you forever destroy any collectibility and resale value - finishes other than the original make potential buyers suspicious.

What I would replace, simply because it is cheap insurance to do so, is a new recoil spring assembly. That will make sure your old Mark cycles like a new Mark, the way it should. I would also carefully check the firing pin and bolt stop. Those are also cheap to replace, but odds are they won't be needed. Lastly, I would check the extractor and make sure it is still good and sharp. You can also upgrade that with a VQ extractor if necessary.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I certainly didnt mean to offend. I have shot it already today and she needs a little help inside. It actually has been beaten with something, there are deep scars and tool marks. Thats why I got it.

I wish i could post pictures (i dont know how) you would understand how bad it really is.

I know where you are coming from, but i purchased it for less than a hundo from a gun shop if that tells you anything.

·
Registered
4,954 Posts
I certainly didnt mean to offend. I have shot it already today and she needs a little help inside. It actually has been beaten with something, there are deep scars and tool marks. Thats why I got it.

I wish i could post pictures (i dont know how) you would understand how bad it really is.

I know where you are coming from, but i purchased it for less than a hundo from a gun shop if that tells you anything.
Heavens, no offense taken at all. Hope I didn't give that impression. Just being my usual know-it-all self. Sorry.

The good news with a Mark is that nearly everything inside is replaceable. The frame would have to have been bent or damaged to really put the gun out of action.

I use TinyPic to download pics on a forum, rather than trying to go direct from my computer.

First, under choose file, download the pic from your computer
Under the Resize drop down menu, select Message Board
Hit Upload, now, then do the funky spam killer box thing
Click on Message board to highlight it
Hit Paste on your computer to put in your message

:)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, im going outta town for a few days, ill try and post it when i get back. Im going to record what i do and post it here.

Any performance parts i should be looking for?

·
Registered
4,954 Posts
Thanks, im going outta town for a few days, ill try and post it when i get back. Im going to record what i do and post it here.

Any performance parts i should be looking for?
A VQ sear and spring is probably the single best thing you can do to improver the trigger, if it's actually needed. Mark Is tended to have very good triggers, though, so don't be in a hurry. Otherwise, putting a red dot or scope on your Mark will bring out more of its accuracy potential. Here's a great mount, Weigand MKI, II Have one on my old Mark I and love it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Alright, back in town and what a whirlwind of a trip. Went to the BCS national championship game without tickets wanting to get in and we finally did. It was a nice little get away but now back to the grind.

First thing Im going to try and tackle will be the easiest I think. Im going to make a new set of grips. The stock plastic grips are black plastic and feature the ruger emblem on one side. They are cut not smooth.

Im going to try and get this mahogany to work with me and see what I can come up with. I like the feel of the stock grips, but like the rest of the gun they are abused and look like garbage. Ill try and post some pics today of my slow progress.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I just posted a link in the first post of this thread (bottom of post) that has pictures of the gun and anything I have done to it up till now (nothing really except mess with grips).

Feel free to check it out, and Ill upload any photos there when I make any.

·
Registered
671 Posts
It does unthread, but I don't know why you would need to remove the barrel. It's something best left to a professional gunsmith if it 'must' be done.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thats exactly why i want to make it mine. I know its value is squat which is fine with me. Thats why i picked it up. Im thinking I'll go crimson with it (Im a huge Bama fan) and see where that takes me, but i got alot of smoothing to do before i think about coating.

Side note, she shoots fine and only had 1 stovepipe out of 100 shells. Most likely I'll wait on any internal changes.

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts
There's still a lot of potential there.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
These bolts are stainless right? had some pitting in this bolt....... I gently glass bead blasted it to clean it up and polished it out.

If stainless, why were they blued in the first place? Why not just leave them stainless? Just curious.

I hope polishing the bolt wont cause any problems. I only polished to a high shine where it shows through the reciever.

1 pic in photobucket............

1 - 19 of 19 Posts