Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I could not stay out of my LGS and a new SR9C stainless as well as a new Gen3 Glock 19 followed me home. Both are guns that I have never owned before and both are guns I never really expected to buy but both were priced really well. After handling both and shooting both I have to say that the Ruger is nicer in every erea except ease of take-down. The SR9C fit and finish is better, the ergonomics of the mag release is better. The trigger on the Ruger is way better than the G19 and the sights on the Ruger are nicer. I've also had issues with the G19 ejecting hot brass to my face but the Ruger ejects more consistantly off to the right. Overall I think that Ruger has done a great job on the SR series of pistols. I'll probably keep both but the edge goes to my new SR9C.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Well, I could not stay out of my LGS and a new SR9C stainless as well as a new Gen3 Glock 19 followed me home. Both are guns that I have never owned before and both are guns I never really expected to buy but both were priced really well. After handling both and shooting both I have to say that the Ruger is nicer in every erea except ease of take-down. The SR9C fit and finish is better, the ergonomics of the mag release is better. The trigger on the Ruger is way better than the G19 and the sights on the Ruger are nicer. I've also had issues with the G19 ejecting hot brass to my face but the Ruger ejects more consistantly off to the right. Overall I think that Ruger has done a great job on the SR series of pistols. I'll probably keep both but the edge goes to my new SR9C.
Nice choice! If I were to get an SR series, it would only be the compact version.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Since you have never owned either, after you have shot each 5,000 rounds your tune may change. I own both, have shot each a lot. They are both great guns. But if I could keep only one, it would be the Glock.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Since you have never owned either, after you have shot each 5,000 rounds your tune may change. I own both, have shot each a lot. They are both great guns. But if I could keep only one, it would be the Glock.

Different spokes for different folk. I won't say one bad word about the Glock ... but I prefer the SR9C. I've owned a Glock and I own the SR9C. I'll keep the SR9c.

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
Congrats on the new pistols. Since you have both, let us know which one shoots better for you. Enjoy.

·
Registered
3,912 Posts
Congrats!

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The ONLY way my opinion will change is if the G19 starts throwing brass like it should(away from my face). The ergos of the two ain't changing and the triggers ain't changing on their own. I know of one SR9c that has had in excess of 15K rounds so far without a compnent failure. That's a good start for a relatively new pistol. Not trying to start a war but the ergos of my G19 are the worst of any of the handguns I own. It was a pioneer in the polymer market but I feel others have produced a far better product( primarily because of Gaston's absolute refusal to improve on the weapon).

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What did you pay for the sr9c in your lgs?
I gave $409+tax. Not wholesale by any means but a decent price and I got to support my local gun store. The G19 was the real deal(I think). It's a Gen3 NIB and I also got three extra Glock mags with it(5 total) for $450.

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
I gave $409+tax. Not wholesale by any means but a decent price and I got to support my local gun store. The G19 was the real deal(I think). It's a Gen3 NIB and I also got three extra Glock mags with it(5 total) for $450.
I think you did very well with the price of your SR9c especially during these dfficult times.

I have shot a few Glocks and while I think they make a quality firearm I liked the fit of my Ruger better.

Good choice.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Thanks. It is true that I have never owned either the Ruger or G19 before. Obviously, from looking at the guts of both it's clear the Ruger is a close copy of the G19's internals. Based on Glock's longer history some automatically assume that a Glock will be more reliable in the long run. Being a member of GlockTalk has shown me that Glock's have their share of issues as well. My own new G19 will not eject as consistantly as the Ruger.
Maybe the Ruger is a lesser gun way down the road; maybe not. I know that I have a perfect opportunity to perform my own very unscientific tests on both. I got both new at the same time and both have had the same number of rounds through them so as soon as the ammo scarcity is over I will purchase 5,000 rounds for each gun and start shooting. Both will be cleaned at the same time and both will shoot the same lot of ammo. Any/all failures of both will be noted and the condition at the end will be noted. 5K rounds certainly is nowhere near enough to wear a gun out but it should give a general idea of each weapon's reliability.
The purpose is not to stir up a war but to really see if the guns are very similar in reliability/durability. I'm no diehard Ruger fan or any brand gun for that matter. I just think Glock gets a free pass on some issues that Ruger would be slammed for. We shall see as soon as I can get my hands on 10,000 rounds of ammo.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
SR9c/SR40c here run $450-$550, but in-stock I've seen nothing under $500. We have a few places that are still getting Rugers relaibly, and others that tell me there are over a million Rugers on backorder and not to expect them until July.

Just bought a SR22P that I pick up in a couple hours. Wish someone had ammo for it... :(

Jeff

·
Registered
25 Posts
I picked up my SR9c from Gander this afternoon for $499 + tax ($536 if I remember). More than I wanted to pay but Fleet Farm ($439) doesn't carry them in stock and God only knows how long it would take to special order them right now.

I would like to shoot a Glock sometime. Hell, I'd like to shoot my SR9c too... Hoping for Sunday.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I picked up both the SR40C and SR9C over the last month for $450 each so you definitely got a good deal on them. Bass Pro sells them for $499 and I have even seen them now at gun shops for as much as $599. I do want to pick up a Novak red fiber optics rear sight from Shop Ruger. I installed a Crimson Trace universal rail mount laser on both of them. The compact CMR-201 model. Highly recommend this laser for them! My SRC's also came not sighted in but picked up a Sightmark Laser Pistol Boresighter for both of them. The reviews were up and down on these but I have had no problems with them and they zeroed me right in. Congrats on your new purchases.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Love mine! I paid $499 for it at GM about a month ago. I then put a CT LaserGuard on it. Very happy!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts