Ruger Forum banner

Picked up like new mini 14 prefix 197

11K views 21 replies 10 participants last post by  kwg020 
#1 ·
Picked up a standard Mini 14 197 prefix with nice dark looking wood stock and the older type mini rear sights looked unfired no box 550 . Would this one have the latest and greatest updates compared to my old G/B models like bolt ,slide ,extractor type things ??????? I had a Colt M4 in my hand and also the Ruger PR rifle that looks like a AR . I don't need any more AR just sold a older L/E marked one last week. I just kept going over to this nice standard Mini 14 like back to my younger days . I had them in 1975 and up . How are these .:)

#6 ·
Congrats on your purchase!
Ditto to what several have said about getting an AccuStrut. I would recommend the LT model (6") or the X-Drill model (also 6"). The shorter SOCOM AccuStruts won't improve on your Mini's accuracy as much - if any.

Regarding 187-series Minis, depending on your serial number, you'll have either a 1:10 twist rate or a 1:7:

Ranch Rifle
Thin barrel, ejector in the bolt stop assembly, scope ring scallops cast into the receiver, buffer system using the recoil spring assembly.Beginning
Serial Nbr
187-00001--1982--1 in 10
187-02611--1983--1 in 10
187-13218--1984--1 in 10
187-27226--1985--1 in 10
187-50919--1986--1 in 10 and 1 in 7
187-59308--1987--1 in 7
187-70033--1988--1 in 7
187-84127--1989--1 in 7

AFAIK, the twist rate is something to consider when choosing ammo. Going much heavier (longer bullet) than 62gr in a 1:10 twist rate will possibly result in reduced accuracy.

Hope this helps!

#8 ·
Ooops

Misfire, good catch!

OP: Sorry about that... I must be a member of DAD (American Dyslexia Association)

Mini-14
Thin barrel, ejector is in the bolt, no scope ring scallops cast into the receiver. Beginning
Serial Nbr
*197-12180-2004--1 in 9
* Mini-14 serial numbers rollmarked with Mini-14 Ranch Rifles beginning in 2000

Ranch Rifle
Thin barrel, ejector in the bolt stop assembly, scope ring scallops cast into the receiver, buffer system using the recoil spring assembly.Beginning
Serial Nbr
197-12180--2004--1 in 9

The 1:9 twist rate is pretty good and found in many - if not most - AR15s and should be able to easily handle whatever you've been pushing through your ARs.

#9 ·
This mini is 197-042xxwith a dull matt looking blue . I didn't need it but always use to drive around in my 72 chevy 4x4 with one. This is a standard mini 14 matt blue I didn't want to go to far back like 182 185 prefix This is just a extra gun. Will lite it up tomarrow.

#16 ·
CavScout, first of all, welcome to the forum from Central Virginia!

Sorry I don't have a 197 to take pics of.
You first should note if your 197 is a straight Mini-14 or a Mini-14 Ranch Rifle. How the recoil spring connects to the receiver differs, as well as how the ejector works. A quick way to tell is if your Mini has scallop mounts for a scope. If it does, it's a Ranch model, if it doesn't, it is a straight Mini.

With a straight Mini-14, there is no factory buffer at the receiver end of the recoil spring. The recoil spring guide is round at the end with a nipple that fits into a hole in the receiver. The Ranch model has a round aluminum buffer at the receiver end, held in with a cross pin that can fall out when cleaning if you're not careful. The recoil spring guide rod is angled at the end, so there is a right versus wrong way for it to go in. The angle slips into the aluminum buffer.

For the straight Mini-14, here is a diagram:
MINI-14. Accessories | Numrich Gun Parts
Item 22 is the recoil spring guide rod.

For the Ranch model, go here:
MINI-14 RANCH RFL Accessories | Numrich Gun Parts
Item 8 is the recoil spring guide rod, and items 6 and 7 are the aluminum buffer and pin respectively.

Quite often, we Mini owners add 1911 pistol buffers at the end of the recoil spring (doesn't matter if it is a straight Mini or a Ranch). Many of us also run the same buffer up front (around the gas pipe). They're usually blue, but also come in black. These are a nylon-type of material or something resembling rubber - depending on manufacturer.

It is quite possible you have a manual for a straight Mini, but have a Ranch model (or the other way around)

Manual for the straight Mini can be downloaded here:
https://ruger-docs.s3.amazonaws.com/_manuals/mini14-181-186.pdf

Manual for the Ranch model can be downloaded here:
https://ruger-docs.s3.amazonaws.com/_manuals/mini14-580.pdf

Hope this helps.

#17 ·
This helps tremendously. I have the "Straight" Mini. Thanks for the link to the parts retailer .. allows me to clarify to my gunsmith what I think the issues are.

I sort of impulse bought this rifle not knowing exact details but I'm quite pleased by this find. Looking at new sights and an Accustrut is on the way.

Have had the weapon out at the range and even at 200 yards they were all hits by Army standards!

#18 ·
CavScout, there are several other retailers out there - those just showed the parts diagram a bit better.

Brownells, MidwayUSA, ASI and Numrich all carry parts. But shop around. Tech Sights makes a good rear sight replacement - just be sure to get the right one. Their sight is here:
Ruger Mini Rifle Sights | Tech Sights
I believe the RR200 is the right one for you. I have shopped around for them and found the best price straight from them. I personally prefer the original rear sight on my 1977-vintage 181 (same as yours) but one look through the factory rear on my new 583 and I ordered a Tech Sight that day. Arrived two days later.

Generally a good idea to stick with Ruger factory mags. They're more expensive than aftermarket, but are reliable from the box.

#21 · (Edited)
Sochermit, barrel replacement on a Mini is best left to the professionals. That would include only gunsmiths knowledgeable about Minis. They're a different animal altogether.

There is an aftermarket barrel made by Shilen that would fit your Mini, but 1) you'd need someone smart enough to do the replacement properly, 2) it is chambered in .223 only (not 5.56), and 3) has no provision for a front sight. Users report great accuracy.

ASI will do a swap for you with one of their barrels, but they're very proud of their work ($$$$!).

An Accustrut, properly mounted, should do you fine. It should be the 6" length one (with two clamps) - not the SOCOM one (with one clamp). And certainly dimple the gas block to keep it from sliding around. It should cut your group size in half.

Another item that will help stiffen the barrel is an UltiMak scout rail. It replaces the fugly hand guard and bolts to the barrel. That is something you can do yourself. As an added bonus, it gives you 1) a P-rail up front for, say, a Red Dot Sight and 2) aids in cooling the barrel as it acts like a heat sink. Removing the four gas block screws could be a challenge if they are "staked" - just takes patience. You should get an INCH-pound torque wrench/driver and re-torque the screws to about 30 INCH-pounds. There are threads about that. You'd need a long-shank 9/64" allen bit.

Sandog (on this forum) uses both the Choate flash hider/sight and the UltiMak on his Mini-30s. He knows his stuff!

There is a more dramatic "fix", and that is to shorten the barrel to 16.5" and mount a Choate flash hider/front sight to it. Less barrel to whip around and the flash hider/front sight combo seems to dampen the harmonics. You could try the Choate flash hider/sight combo first (before cutting anything) and see if you're satisfied.

A decent crown job always helps...

My 181GB Mini is about a 4 MOA shooter, perhaps better, and I've done nothing mechanical to it. Drops silhouettes at 300 meters consistently, which is all I'm interested in.

Welcome to the forum from Central Virginia!

#22 · (Edited)
Sochermit and Cav Scout
If you reload I can give you some great and accurate loads for a skinny barrel Mini. I have been working on them all summer and I think I have them dialed in.

I have come to the conclusion that you should pick one brand of ammo and stick with it. If you have an Accu Strut you might be able to mix it up some but the "barrel whip" starts at your chamber and it affects the POI (point of impact) based on chamber pressure. This is why the Accu Strut and the Ultimak rail make such a difference in the accuracy.

With my 580 skinny barrel Mini the higher the chamber pressure the lower on the target the bullet will impact. My bet is the pre 580 series (181 to 197) will have similar issues since the barrel parameters are very similar

kwg

Here is a link to ASI and replacing your skinny barrel with the new tapered .625 barrel. You can do your own math and decide if it's for you.
http://www.ruger-mini-14-firearms.com/Factory-Barrel.php

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.