Ruger Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to my local dealer to get the new 22/45 black lite and was going to get the wiley clapp gp100. the trigger is so smooth in both double and single action. my question is , does it have any trigger work done to it ? or is the finish, grips and novak sights what make it different? I would get the wiley clapp but the ring around the cylinder is bad and I rather just save the hundred bucks and buy the standard gp in 3", but only if the trigger is similar. thanks. Brian

·
Banned
1,402 Posts
What do you mean by the cylinder ring is bad? If it has been shot a lot, that would explain the better trigger....broken in...........

·
Registered
797 Posts
I guess that depends on what you consider smooth. My gp100 6 inch was ok but i took it apart and polished all contact surfaces and it improved 5 fold. i am waiting on a spring kit that will make it ten times better. My guess is that the wiley clapp has had trigger work. I could be wrong. does your dealer have another stock gp100 of any length barrel you could compare? I did the same to my redhawk and it made the world of difference in the trigger. Now that was a nasty trigger out of the box. i am trying to at least get my hands on one of the clapp 3 inch gp100 to see if its worth the xtra bucks. hope this helps.

oh yeah cylinder ring is common with rugers. it doesnt necessarily meant its been shot as much as it has probably been dry fired. it is what it is with rugers single or double action.

·
Super Moderator
21,491 Posts
With the WC you get the excellent looking grips, Novak sights and a nice looking matte stainless finish. I am not aware of a trigger job being done on the WC because the GP has a fine trigger OTB or at least my 4" did. The $100 is for the items I mentioned so my advice is to get the two together, (if you can find them these days) compare and see what feels best to you. To me the $100 extra doesn't sound excessive but you know your own situation. Either will serve you well.

Here's a Gunblast article on the WC.

http://www.gunblast.com/Ruger-GP100WC.htm

If the ring is a carbon ring on the cylinder face then that can be easily cleaned away with mother mag polish.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
With the WC you get the excellent looking grips, Novak sights and a nice looking matte stainless finish. I am not aware of a trigger job being done on the WC because the GP has a fine trigger OTB or at least my 4" did. The $100 is for the items I mentioned so my advice is to get the two together, (if you can find them these days) compare and see what feels best to you. To me the $100 extra doesn't sound excessive but you know your own situation. Either will serve you well.

Here's a Gunblast article on the WC.

Ruger GP100 "Wiley Clapp" 357 Magnum Revolver

If the ring is a carbon ring on the cylinder face then that can be easily cleaned away with mother mag polish.
In addition to the above differences, the WC also has "melded" edges, especially noticeable on the cylinder. sort of a rounded off, tapered and smooth look. I have the WC as well as the Davidson Special 5". I do not think the WC has any trigger work done on it. Both of my GP's feel about the same - good out of the box, but of course as has been mentioned, you can always do a little improving after you have it broken in well and feel that you would like to.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
I too wanted the Wiley Clapp version, but unfortunately I live in California and that particular gun, no one chose to send six of them to be destroyed and a good hefty fee along with it. Long stork short, I cannot own a Wiley Clapp version period. So I ordered the next best thing in a stainless Ruger 3" GP100 and its pull was nice and smooth. I did put in some Wolff springs to lighten things a bit but the gun was just fine right out of the box. Smithy.

·
Registered
16 Posts
My GP100 is smooth and very accurate.
I am not sure if the extra dollars might not be better spent on ammo and getting familiar with your new gun.
Mine has only 200 rounds through it, and is my wife's favorite.
If you want a safe queen, get the W. Clapp. Otherwise spend the money where it will do the most good.
Stay safe and vigilant in these trying times. TKH

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
They did have a 6" gp but did not even think to do a sidex side. the gun is brand new and they have had for about 6 mo. he said. That is why the cyl. had a ring on it. I dry fired it about a dozen times and it was great. I dont have much revolver experience. ARP info sent, good luck. Brian

·
Registered
23 Posts
I had a 3" and sold it when money was so tight in 2008. It had the short grips at that time which I did not like, so I never got around to finding the right one I liked. It was smooth, shot very well, and I kick myself ever since! Especially since I ordered it new!
Finally replaced it with a good used S & W 686 Sq. butt grip in a 4" bbl which is more versatile and will hold value better...Having said that, you can't go wrong with the 3" which is way less cumbersome that a target-sighted 4" IMO. Take notice, you will be waiting a long time for one to just "surface"- they are rare.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I have a WC and a 6" GP100 and can tell no difference. My WC is one of my favorite guns and I carry it daily. You will be happy with ether one you choose.

Doyle

·
Registered
48 Posts
I also originally was interested in the WC 3" version. But after seeing one at a LGS, I decided against it. Tough I love the grips and the sights, the finish on the gun scratches and mars very easily. I was surprised at the WC wear marks on a brand new, never fired or sold gun. I ended up with a standard 5" KGP-100. I already ordered the Williams Gun Sight set from the ruger website. Eventually may also get the WC grip and insert.

All the best,

Mark

·
Registered
88 Posts
I de-burred and polished all the appropriate internal surfaces of my regular 3" GP-100, and installed a Wolff hammer spring and trigger return spring, both one step down.

The trigger is amazingly sweet now. Like buttah'. I also put the compact Ruger grips on it and bought some panels off ebay. I have the WC style grips too, it came with them, but this is a much better carry set up. I will not be getting rid of this one.

I would still like to have a WC version though. :D

That finish on any gun shows the ring real bad, no matter the Mfg. But, the WC don't show up often, so don't miss out on the opportunity.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Stumbled across a SS 3 inch NIB on armlist. just got it yesterday. Wow!!! now i know what everyone talks about balance in hand. this thing is sweet!!! the sights don't seem to bad. i won't get a chance to take it out to the range until this coming wednesday. Now i have a 6 inch and wanted a 4 inch but if this 3 shoots like i think it will then I am really going to be in a dilema on my next one. I would like the 4 inch just because i think i would want the added velocity and then maybe just maybe sell off the 6 inch. but who knows. the feel of the longer barrel is not that bad but the 3 inch just sits in your hand. i had the same feeling with the 4 inch redhawk. the trigger is nice out of the box but i can't wait to take it to polish the trigger parts put lighter spring kit in and take it through its paces. nice weapon.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts