Ruger Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up the 1998 Vaquero today. .45 Colt, of course. I was lucky the original owner(s) kept it scratch free. There was some cylinder-face darkening which mostly came out with a lead removing cloth, but it will just get black again. I'll see to that. I'm carrying it (my only sidearm for the moment, so it's a carry gun) in an Uncle Mike's IWB nylon holster. It was probably made for a double-action revolver, but it fits well enough. It's stuffed with 240 gr XTP JHPs +P ammo loaded by Littlestone Ammunition.

·
Super Moderator
21,494 Posts
It may not be new but you can't tell that looking at it. Fine looking revolver.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I know, huh? The other owner kept it nice. The guy who did the paperwork said it was a good 'find.' I thought so. I'll probably toss some elk or stag grips on it when I can afford it.

·
Banned
4,290 Posts
Good find, indeed! Beautiful. Nice photos too. You say it's currently your only gun, thus your carry gun, in an IWB rig. Is that "carry" as in concealed carry?

If so, I'd love to see the reaction of some mugger when you whip that thing out and point it at him. :D And, if in the gravest extreme, you ever have to use it, I'd love to see the results. A "one-shot-stop" for sure. :D Heck, even if you missed, the BG would probably die from cardiac arrest or be incapacitated by the flash and the flame. :D :D I, like many others here, am a great fan of .45 Colt. You got a good one. Congratulations!

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah, concealed. I have a permit here in Oregon. I traded a new Glock 23 against this, and another hundred brought it home.

The muzzle is massive. I love the look of the 4 5/8" models, where the barrel is as long as the ejector rod housing -- it makes the barrel look even bigger. I know a single action isn't ideal for a gunfight, but I'll do my part with deliberate actions, and preparation. A 240 gr bullet at 1,325 is gonna HURT whoever picks me. I'm in my mid 50s and usually have my 10-yr old daughter with me, and we don't draw much attention. I'm properly vigilant. A few times my daughter has needed my over shirt because she's cold, and I've wandered the aisles of the local grocery store, bank, video store, wherever, while effectively open carrying, but I prefer not to advertise a "free gun here." No one seems to notice or mind. Small mountain town.

I have a 1976 Winchester 94 on layaway. Not a mark on it. I know it's post-64, but they had the fit and finish bugs worked out by then.

I just bought a used Bianchi 1L holster, and I'd love to have a B7 belt to go with it. Hard to find, especially in my size (34), but it will be a great rig, and a good flannel shirt will mostly cover it. : )

·
Dog Soldier
1,782 Posts
Good looking gun. I also like the pipe and pollen bag. Looks like the lazy stich, did you make it?

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts
very, very nice.
Vaquero & Bisley fan here.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Highhawk, philámayaye. (Thank you ; )

I was wondering when somebody was going to notice the pipe bag. ; ) yes, I made it. Actually, still working on it. All the beads are antique Italian, very irregular in shape, some of them filthy, all really hard to get, like the rose red whitehearts. The bag structure is braintain, elk sinew sewed. The small bag is actually a tobacco pouch that goes inside. The other side of the tobacco bag is fully beaded, and of course the pipe bag is beaded on both sides. I do knife cases, small bags, legging strips, moccasins. I've done a shirt but they take a long time and cost a lot because you have to match hides for color and weight. I made a split horn buffalo bonnet once covered in ermine. This is what I do when I'm not buying guns. : )

I bead Sioux patterns because I like them so much. They took lane stitching to the highest heights. The only thing better is Plateau work -- Crow and Nez Perce designs -- but I don't have the two-needle skills or the soft colors. Crow and Cheyenne pink is really hard to come by, and crazy expensive. I've been collecting and hoarding beads for 25 years, waiting for one big project to spend the best beads on. The red whitehearts you see were $40 an ounce. The pipe bag has about 33,000 beads on it. The white, which isn't really attention getting because it's background, is the real treasure. When you do plains work, white is critical. These are super old and look like polished bone up close -- like teeth. Nice flat white, but with an ivory tone and texture.

I'm quilling the rawhide slat panels that hang at the bottom of the bag, and from which the fringe will hang. The stem is almost done, and I have a nice Catlinite bowl that fits it perfectly. It's going to be a complete package, with sweet grass and a twist of raw tobacco. Thanks for asking. Love your avatar. ; )

All that was more than you probably wanted to know. I'll hijack my own thread with more beadwork pics. If you know beads, you'll know what you're looking at. It's better than money!

·
Banned
4,290 Posts
paneefork, Wow! Thanks for the beautiful pictures, facts and educational "course" on beadwork. Very interesting. You're obviously very knowledgeable on the subject and passionate on the craft.

In my above post you'll note that I complimented you on the "photos". What I was really drawn to, other than your revolver of course, was the beautiful piece of "art" you used as the background. I knew that it was obviously Native American but had no clue as to what it was. I thought it was some sort of a finely woven rug type thing. So, not wanting to show my ignorance, simply complimented the pictures. :)

Now this old Tenderfoot Easterner knows what a pipe bag, (and tobacco pouch), look like. :eek: Thanks for the introduction to the art of beadwork and the great additional pics of some of your work.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Thanks Quiet. Didn't mean to dismiss or overlook your intention, I was just laying low because this is a gun forum and not a beadwork forum. I couldn't hold back though once Highhawk broke the ice. It's a one time shot, and I just took it, so we're done with that. ; )

My interest in the single action comes out of my interest in the West. As I probably said, I'd like to have a Colt, but new Colts -- besides being way expensive -- are not 'period perfect' enough for me. Neither are USFAs, as good as they are. I don't get it -- Colt, Winchester, even Marlin -- all those guys could produce faithful copies of their old designs and they'd make a mint. The '73 Winchester in the photo belongs to a real estate developer in MS. He commissioned the case, which is made of buffalo hide. It was hard to bead on. I had to 'patch' places of it where it wouldn't take a needle. I glued buckskin over those areas and kept beading. But the rifle is awesome.

Working with antique beads is like handling those old guns. They were 'there.' I moved to Colorado in the 80s and when I saw the prairie, I had to know about the history. I bought 'Native' junk in tourist shops but it was inauthentic crap, so I learned to do it myself. I learned a lot from a guy who curated the Denver Natural History Museum and handled the old objects. There are a lot of little tricks and secrets that you learn. I keep meaning to put it all down in a book so people like me don't have to work so hard to figure it out. Like quilling the pipe bag -- there's a 'twist' the Sioux ladies used to secure the quill, and I have a diagram of it made by an anthropologist, but I can't figure out how to do it from looking at the picture. It slows these projects down because I insist on authenticity.

Back to the Vaquero: I was admiring it last night. Not a mark on it. I saw a guy was looking for one in another forum here, and I feel his pain. I didn't realize how few and far between they are. It's not a Colt SAA, but I won't try to make it one. I appreciate it for what it is. I'd love to have an Old Model Blackhawk, with box and papers. Maybe I'm a collector at heart. You'd think I'd be involved in CAS, but I'm not. I see movies with Native themes and I go nuts about the sloppy art direction. I'd like to be a consultant on costuming. I watched the remake of True Grit, and was disgusted that the story was set in 1875, but the single action Jeff Bridges used had a cross-pin frame, which wasn't added until the late 80s. Dances With Wolves was a disaster, costume-wise. Graham Greene's character wore his hair in the Crow Style, but he was a Lakota in the movie. That, and a million other details, ruin movies like that for me.

Highhawk's username belonged to a famous Lakota warrior, but I believe his avatar is a Crow. : ) That's an interesting tension. My user name is actually a place: the Pawnee Fork of the Arkansas River. Generals Hancock and Custer burned a village on the Pawnee Fork in April 1867. It belonged to Cheyenne Dog Soldiers and it was a bad move. Hancock was ticked off that the Cheyenne had fled at his approach, but he was insensitive to the fact that the Cheyenne had only three years earlier been attakced at Sand Creek and were nervous at the sight of large numbers of troops. The day before he arrived at the village, he met a long line of Cheyenne warriors the stretched across the prairire. Custer said it was the most magnificent display he had ever seen. Hanock ordered his cavalry into attack formation and there was a tense standoff for a while. The famous warrior Roman Nose rode out to meet Hancock. He was strapped with 4 or 5 Colts in his belt and intended to shoot Hancock, but was talked out of it by his friends, who asked him to consider the 'helpless ones' at the village. That quality of the native Americans -- the willingness of the men to face death to protect their women and children and give them time to escape -- gives me a chill. They didn't like to fight pitched battles. They were more like guerilla fighters. It was said of the Plains warrior "Run, and they follow; follow, and they run." But there was no doubt about their bravery. I think of that as I watch our country disintegrate in the present age, and I resolve that if it comes to it, depending on the provocation or threat, I'll take a stand, and I'll do it with a Vaquero and a Winchester if I have to, against whatever they throw at us. Hope it doesn't come to that. But I digress. A lot.

·
Registered
313 Posts
pawneefork,

Thanky you for sharing your work with us! Always loved native beadwork, and respect the love that goes into it. Congratulations on your tank:) I mean Vaquero.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts