Ruger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all..
do you guys think a pistol grip is a good idea on a home defense shotty? I dont shoot much with that type of shotgun, but im always lookin to step up my game. It seems like Tacstar and Hogue are good brands. What your input? If you own this type of weapon, then what grip and and shotty do you like?

·
Registered
3,785 Posts
I have a Tapco T-6 collapsable stock/pistol grip on my Mossberg 590. Works great for hip firing, but shouldering it, not so much since the stock isn't comfortable against my face. Its more of a "Tacticool" mod for appearance.

·
Wandering Sandlapper
3,282 Posts
I think if you are more experienced with shooting handguns, as I am, then the pistol grip seems familiar, and gives you better control.

If your greatest experience is with rifles, you may feel more at home with the more conventional stock.

As noted, the pistol grip in my experience gives a firmer grip if you are turning loose of the forearm to open doors or the like.

Like anything, the more you practice with whichever you have the more "right" it will feel to you. I personally like the pistol grip on the stock, but not the forearm.

·
CARSON-WEST - 2016
6,784 Posts
Conventional wisdom is that pistol grips are a poor choice, but I prefer it. I'm not recoil sensitive, shoot my pistol grip a lot, and I control it well. It's easier for me to get back on target quicker than with the more cumbersome stock. That's just me, and I'm not one to preach that's what's best for me is best for everyone.

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
You are better getting a youth stock equipped shot gun than a pistol grip model. The recoil wth a pistol gripped 12 guage can be disconcerting. The pistol grip shotgun can also point very poorly.
I feel differently about this obviously. :) The pistol grip actually helps you hold the stock against your shoulder thus reducing effects of recoil and it doesn't have any effect on pointing of the gun. Someone also stated it has a bad effect on accuracy. Hog wash is all I can say to that. :rolleyes: To the OP'er I suggest you try one and make up your own mind as to which you prefer. With the pistol grip there is nothing between your eye and the rear sight which actually helps with accuracy in my honest opinion.

·
Registered
3,967 Posts
Full stock is better,just as fast and more accurate.Also better for butt stroking to the head

:D:D Dang right Will, I agree.
Pistol gripped shotguns art never your best option, sept maybe for breaching but thats it.
Well, maybe for taking cool pics.
This is not full stock with a pistol grip but rather just the pistol grip which of course just ain't great.

·
Wandering Sandlapper
3,282 Posts
Hmmmm..... are you talking about a shoulder stock with a pistol grip, or a pistol grip only Cruiser type weapon?

I like the pistol grip on an AR type adjustable shoulder stock, but have no interest in the pistol grip only.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
I took a look at foldable shotgun stocks. But that just seems like im going on a " half cocked " idea. The weapon factory usually has their weapon correct so its sometimes not a good idea to start adding your own crap.. Id rather spend money on a good grip than a foldable stock because it dont seem like you can strike a good blow to the head with a foldable stock.. And the truth is i dont really plan on using my shotgun for a baseball bat.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
For home defense you probably wont be shooting far so just a pistol grip will be easier to handle indoors as for accuracy, its a shotgun indoors, just know what is in the behind the BG!!

·
Registered
951 Posts
I'm in the keep it simple/ if it ain't broke don't fix it school of shotgunning. So no folding colapsible or pistol grip stock. I actually use my 1897 riot copy I set up for Cowboy action for HD duty. I am thinking of updating to a Remington model 11 trench gun when I find one for the right price.

·
Registered
973 Posts
I think a straight pistol grip with no shoulder stock is a bad idea. Very hard to control.

A folding stock on a shotgun seems useful for some special storage concealment applications, but thats it.

I prefer a smallish (almost youth) full stock. Nothing wrong with a pistol grip on a full stock.

·
Registered
435 Posts
I've had a lot of training with pistol grip shotguns. I put PLENTY of rounds through the Benelli 1014 and have had a lot of training with pistol grip shotguns. I prefer the pistol grip collapsible version because my wife handles it better now than most men I've trained with. Also because it's easier to handle myself in my home from room to room with the stock collapsed and shoulders perfect collapsed or extended. I'm using the Knoxx/Blackhawk spec ops without the recoil absorbing springs on an 870 clone. I did add a limbsaver pad. This things function very well.

·
CARSON-WEST - 2016
6,784 Posts
I think part of the reason that I prefer the pistol grip w/ no stock is due to my build. I'm short and stalky, broad shoulders but short arms. With a standard shot gun I feel over extended and take all the recoil into my shoulder, hence the longer time to get back on target. I'm pretty well built, and with my pistol grip I control the recoil in my muscles instead of my skeleton. Again, this is what works for me. I've spent time w/ each, never fell in love w/ a stocked shot gun, but love firing my Cruiser American. Everyone needs to make up their own mind based on what works for them. `

·
Registered
149 Posts
If you are talking about pistol grip only, bad idea.
A shotgun with a stock, either conventional or pistol grip, is more versatile and controllable.

With a PG only, hip shooting is really the only shooting you can do. The recoil goes to your hand and wrist. If you get into a close quarters situation the BG has all the leverage to take the gun from you. You have almost none.

With a stock, the weapon can be fired from the shoulder or the hip as the situation dictates. When fired from the hip, you can use your forearm to clamp the stock into your side, creating a much more stable platform, and giving you more leverage should a wresting match for the gun happen.

PG only/folding stock have use for only limited storage, such as a boat or RV.

While I personally prefer a conventional stock, I see nothing wrong with a PG stock, and as TheWall pointed out, it may have an advantage if you need to hold the gun in one hand. Holding a conventional stock one handed is possible, but perhaps not as easy as a PG stock. Holding a PG only with one hand, while being ready to fire, is pretty difficult and clumsy at best.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.