Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Nice deer.and yes I also hunt with a handgun.Though not esclusively.Now how about some details on your hunt,loads used ect.Thanx for sharing.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I shot this one in my little honey hole behind my house. My neighbor has 16 acres back there and doesn't mind me hunting.

I use a pop up blind because I can hunt for 4-5 hours and stay dry and warm. I always had problems with a tree stands after 2-3 hours. the view ain't as good, but you can't have everything. Plus, since it's behind the house I leave it up all season. No carry in and out, and the deer really get used to it. That, and I have a big comfey cmp chair in it.:D

For Loads I love the Federal Vital Shok loaded with 140 grain Barnes Expanders. Those bullets work Awsome. The soft tissue damage was massive.

This deer walked out about 25 yards away and decided acorns were tasty. I shot and he only made it about 40 yards before going down in a heap.

The gp100 is a great short range deer gun. I'll take it out to 60 yards with a 357 mag. Anything more and your pushing it for power. I keep thinking about selling it and getting a 44mag so I can go to 100yds, but the GP is such a shooter I know I'll kick myself. Plus by using .38's I can practice with the gun I am going to hunt with a lot, and not break the bank.

The sight on the gun is a Bushnell Trophy red dot. They work great (just don't leave them on) I can keep it in a 8" bull all day long at 50 yards. This year I'm thinking of going with just Iron sights to add a little more challange. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Good eatin'.
Its been a while but I've deer hunted with a contender in 7mm tcu when i had one.
It does put some of the challenge back in hunting.

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
I'd gone handgun hunting one year for deer with a Taurus .44 Magnum that I once owned but unfortunately I didn't run across any. I've taken squirrel and rabbits with .22 handguns in the past but not in the recent past. :D

Nice deer by the way!

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
Nice deer John! I'm a wannabe handgun hunter for deer. I used to shoot a lot of squirrel with a S&W K22 and a Single Six. I've shot deer with centerfire and black powder rifles, and a bow. I'd like to try a handgun this year. I've got a Ruger .41 Mag, .45 Colt and a Super Blackhawk. I'll might use the .41 - it's shorter and lighter.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Nice Deer, I prefer them about that size.

I deer hunt with a SRH in 44mag. I have taken deer with it out to 100 yards. I really like the challenge of hunting with a hand gun. I like the 270 grain speer gold dot soft point, probably a little much for white tail deer but it does the job. I have also had good results with the 240 grain Federal fusion.

Our season here opens on the November 17 and I can't wait.

·
Registered
154 Posts
.44 mag, redhawk with scope. 240 grainers and a good rest and Im on out to 75 yards. Alot lighter than carrying a rifle. Keep the hands warm that way.

·
Registered
14 Posts
This fall, I'll be using my SRH 9 1/2 with Buffalo Bore 340gr hard cast. Little more kick than my Hornady's but, eww baby! what a slam!
LH

·
Registered
121 Posts
This stainless Redhawk in .41mag has take countless hogs, whitetail, mule deer and my prize.....a spotted Fallow Deer. That is the cape of that Fallow Deer that I layed the gun on for the picture. Prior to this gun I hunted with am 8" Colt Python, 8" Smith 629, a stainless Super Blackhawk in 45long colt and another Redhawk in .357mag. I prefer the gun in the picture to the rest.

·
Registered
140 Posts
It's not my primary deer gun, but when opportunity presented itself, my family still brags about my 105-yd one-shot boilerroom stop of a Washington State mule deer, with a fixed-sight Vaquero and factory Winchester Silvertip, .45 Colt.

·
Registered
687 Posts
I've only taken one deer with a pistol in all my years and it was a small doe. She was less than 20 yds. and I dropped her in her tracks with my 6" Security six. She snuck up on me (definition: I fell asleep) and I didn't think I could get turned around with the shotgun without scaring her off so I used the pistol, what a rush!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Yup. I've taken deer with 9.5" SRH .44 mag, and a T/C Encore in .243. This year I'll be hunting with the 5.5" RH shown below.

·
Registered
6 Posts
This stainless Redhawk in .41mag has take countless hogs, whitetail, mule deer and my prize.....a spotted Fallow Deer. That is the cape of that Fallow Deer that I layed the gun on for the picture. Prior to this gun I hunted with am 8" Colt Python, 8" Smith 629, a stainless Super Blackhawk in 45long colt and another Redhawk in .357mag. I prefer the gun in the picture to the rest.

where can i find mounts like those? i have a GP100

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Those are Ruger mounts integral to the gun. Like a SRH or Blackhawk Hunter.

·
Registered
14 Posts
i've hunted only with my handguns for the last 10 years.-Mostly with my RH .44 with e red dot. Since my eyes arn't what they used to be open sights are out of the question for hunting. I find that in the dark woods pistol scopes are to dark to be of good use for hunting -although i'm sure that in more open country they are the best. biggest so far is a moose that fell to 3- 240gr loads from the .44

1 - 20 of 23 Posts