Ruger Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last Saturday, I shot my second “Urban Cowboy” match. It’s a discipline that our local club developed a couple of years ago. It is shot on our CAS range, with the same setups from the previous weeks SASS shoot. Basically we have seven stages and shoot 20 rounds/stage. We shoot it with .22 semi-autos. They take the total time for all seven stages, and add 5 seconds for ever miss. You would be amazed how easy it is to miss a 12 inch steel plate at 10 yards.

We had 12 competitors, and I thought I was running about 4th or 5th place. At the awards ceremony, we had one guy that shot a clean match…absolutely no misses…great job. The RO awarded his ribbon first. Then she said, “Now, our first place winner with a total of 110 points….and she called my name. I could not believe it….I, of course was very happy. This was only the second match that I’ve shot. She later showed me my scorecard, and I had shot 5 clean stages, and my times were running about 2nd overall.

Hope I don’t sound like I’m bragging, because that is not my intent…I’m just really happy that I can still shoot. I was shooting my 22/45 MKIII Hunter, with 4 ½” barrel….this gun just keeps getting better….I have about 1000 rounds through it now. Just thought I would share that…..

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
Sounds like you're a winner to me! Wish there was something like that around here. A couple time there have been groups try to start up a CAS or SASS range but the legal beagles and the insurance has "shot" it down every time. Can't even find any open range to go to shoot tin cans anymore.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
its all about having a good time and glad to hear you did well.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Congrats on your win. Sounds like you were having fun. Probably why you won.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
.22 matches probably will continue to gain in popularity for a bunch of reasons

they are recoil friendly
they are ammo price friendly
most folks already own a .22 of some sort
everyone--husband, wife, old, and young can enjoy it

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Deputy, just to add one more to your list..... .22's are just fun to shoot....especially Rugers.....:D

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
the smaller the caliber the better shot you have to be, example break the ten ring line its a ten ring. The caliber 45 ya just about fit 2 22's in the whole. In sass it has to ring steel a 38 barely hittin doesn't ring steel but a 45 will. Then 12 inch plates look big until that timer goes off, then fer some reson they become 4 or 5 inch's and some times seem like they are 100 yrads away- especially when ya miss them lol.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts