Ruger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This will be a dumb question to most of you out there, please feel free to comment about it and make fun of me. But the question I have is - When did pistol manufacturers begin marking their pistols with "PISTOL WILL FIRE WITH MAGAZINE REMOVED"? I have not bought a new pistol in several years (decades really) and none of mine have this warning. My Browning HiPower, of course, will not fire without the magazine fully inserted, and the same goes for my S&W Model 39 and my Bernardelli Model 60. They were designed that way, and there is nothing stamped on them to so inform the user.

At some time in the past, manufacturers began stamping "READ INSTRUCTION MANUAL BEFORE USING", or something to that effect, on pistols. Wasn't that enough of a caution?

To me, it is a sad state of affairs that the public is so dumb warnings like these are necessary.

·
Registered
2,856 Posts
Hate all the Lawyer warning labels on guns. I have been searching for a 357 Blackhawk and it is a challenge finding one for a good price let alone one made before the warning labels. Took awhile but I recently picked up one made in 1977. Range report coming soon.

Back to warnings. My P90 made in 1991 doesn't have the magazine warning but magazines used to come with stickers with the warning.

·
Registered
4,150 Posts
Well, during the time they started using that warning, guns with magazine disconnects were coming out on the market. So, some guns would, and some would not, fire with a magazine removed.

And before we shoot all the lawyers, we need to look in the mirror. It takes a lawyer AND a person who misused a gun, for a lawsuit to occur.

·
Premium Member
3,660 Posts
What I REALLY do not understand is, if a person is not willing to invest the time/training? Into reading the damn owners manual, what makes anyone think they will read the markings on the weapon?
Agree! Read the manual, invest the time/training and have fun getting to know what you are using.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Having shot guns without the magazine disconnect "safety" things for over 20 years I was irritated with I got my first gun that had the magazine disconnect feature. To me that is no safer from idiots, but it is CYA Lawyer Stuff.

People will still sue even when they are totally at fault. We know that, don't we?

·
Registered
147 Posts
My guess, and this is just my guess, is that manufacturers started adding it more when jurisdictions like California started adding magazine disconnects as a requirement for certification.

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
According to some Googling, the Ruger "billboards" started in January 1978.
I've seen other warnings that get a grin. Sticker on a hot plate, " WARNING - top may get hot". Sticker on a knife blade, "WARNING - Edge may be sharp". We certainly hope so.......
At least they were stickers that could be removed !
I don't mind the tiny one lasered on the underside of the barrel on my .22 SP101. All the markings being lasered looks great.
The Bearcat one is rollmarked, 5/16 X 2 inches. I've wondered if Bearcats are still rollmarked, or lasered?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts