Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
This is a great idea to bring down the price on ammo guns, don't buy ammo don't buy the guns. on gun broker 9mm still bring 1000 dollars per case if we don't stop paying this ridiculous price it will never go down, who is paying this amount it can't be the people that have the shooting sports as a hobby,is it the people that were anti guns but became the armed citizen that all of a sudden they felt the need to have one and paying this amount, who on this forum would pay $1000.00 for a case of ammo.

·
Registered
545 Posts
who in the f is paying this amount it can't be the people that have the shooting sports as a hobby
My guess it is the liberals and regular decent folk who just got caught off guard not believing no matter how much advanced warning they could hear and see on their radio and tv screens, that this country would ever look like it did with the rioters, BLM, cops being attacked, and the China virus combined with the hysterical responses by the left to take advantage and make it worse.

If you do have enough ammo at this point, then don't rack your brain about all the insanity going on at GB and elsewhere. Don't worry about people who will pay $1K for 1000 9mm... there are people that are going to pay a lot more than that if they get the chance to even get any. Just ride it out. It just maybe that things haven't even gotten that bad yet. It's only been a month of Sleepy Joe and like I predicted, gas prices will continually rise. I'm more worried about the farmers in the future than about ammo. There has been a lot of writing on the wall that people have ignored. Some will still ignore it, but now is the time to shore up other areas.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
A estimate of 8 million new gun owners. That estimate does not say how many of those new to firearms owners bought more than one gun. If every new gun owner only bought 100 hundred rounds that's 800,000,000 just for newbies. Some body is paying exorbitant online prices be it new to hobby or long time members.

·
Exchequer
4,756 Posts
Who's buying all the ammo?

I think it's the same people who were picking store shelves clean of all the toilet paper and Lysol when the 'vid came on the scene.

I haven't been shooting lately and have no need to restock ammo.

As the nation begins to get a handle on the plague, things will begin to return to some semblance of normal ....maybe.

·
Registered
203 Posts
As the nation begins to get a handle on the plague, things will begin to return to some semblance of normal ....maybe.
The "Now that the weather is getting warmer" thread went sideways, twice (Ohio and Italy).
That sentence I quoted relates to something that was not mentioned on that topic.
The China flu rates for infection, hospitalization, and death, dropped in exact synchronization with the onset of the extreme cold weather and snow. The testing centers closed for that bad weather event, and the rates dropped through the floor. Everyone with a common cold or seasonal flu stayed home and treated themselves with chicken noodle soup and orange juice. The numbers plummeted.
The temperatures are back just above freezing, and the snow and ice is melting. Those parking lot testing centers are back open, and people with the sniffles are flocking back to get swabbed.
Those statistics that have been used so skillfully to keep the nation shut down, will again show rising numbers, because more testing equals rising numbers. People in New York stated they started in with the doom-and-gloom a couple days ago, and here in the Midwest, they came up with "an alarming 30% increase" last night.
Expect the lock downs to increase, plateau, and trail off at the end of the flu season. The new flu season goes through the second week of June. Just like last year, from about June 15 through June 25th, they will tell us that it's all over, and they will lift their foot off our necks just a little. Then, on June 26th, the apocalypse will be only a few days away, and the Forth of July has to be cancelled. The new beginning of the flu season. They will need a new vaccine for everyone. And the lock down roller coaster ride will begin again.

I've been living through a year of people telling me "Oh, they will never do that", and then watched it happen.
I have lived a lifetime under the rules of Murphy's Law, and a situation never lets up until I have wasted more money trying to resolve it that I can afford. This one keeps dragging on with no end in sight. This looks like 4-8 years of economic disaster combined with the ongoing plague fiasco as long as it serves their political purpose in their effort to tear down the nation and our rights.

People won't stop buying guns and ammo, and start buying posies, any time soon.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Pete Brownell says that when they get a truckload of 9mm (about 1 million rounds) it sells out in 2 hours.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Most people are NOT paying those ridiculous prices, but enough are for now to keep them up. Its also possible that some of them are sellers who paid too much to begin with and are now stuck. I suspect that is what is happening at Midway, which refuses to budge on its price for IMI 9mm 115g HP. That's been in stock for two weeks at $1.20/round!

I read a discussion recently where someone who has been selling on GunBroker said the market is beginning to soften, so prices may start dropping soon. It all depends on politics. If Biden starts talking about gun control or issues some EO's then the panic will start all over again. You also have YouTube channels screaming every day about every gun control bill introduced in Congress (even ones with no co-sponsors) even though none of them are yet being considered in sub committed meetings, which is the first step in the long process leading to a vote. So in some ways the gun community is reinforcing its own panic.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I keep track of who is and isn't gouging. I've found local suppliers that have earned my respect for keeping their heads above the greed. I'll continue to buy from those people. Many of them are new business relationships. In the last 30 days I've spent more than $6k on guns and ammo and over the course of the next 2 years, I'll likely bring them more business than probably 100 one time buyers. My brother is just as involved as I am and probably spends at least as much. We stick together and decide who gets our business and who doesn't. Its in the best interest of the local dealers not to screw their local customers over a few extra bucks per sale. When the dust settles, it will come back to bite them later.

·
Registered
574 Posts
I have noticed that some smart sellers on GB are only selling in lots of 200 even though it is obvious they have a few cases they can sell. This is particularly true of the .380acp which seems to be much more scarce (and pricey) than 9mm. That brings the order price down to where more people who bought guns and have no ammo at all can pay the outrageous per round price.

In the past several weeks I have purchased a case of .380 and a case of 9mm at more than I would normally ever pay, but in both cases it was noticeably less per round than anyplace else that I have access to, and I buy ammo not just for myself but also for my 2 shooting buddies to buy from me at my cost. I have more free time than they do to shop around on line. None of us have time to get up at O-dark-30 and drive miles and miles from store to store searching for those 2 box limit low prices.

Like others, we are limiting the number of rounds of .380 and 9mm which we shoot per session, concentrating on short SD drills. We are shooting our .22's more so we can still do some "spin the bottle" fun shooting. I do have a goodly supply of .22lr............for a while anyway.

Totally off topic: Spin the bottle: Take an empty gallon plastic jug and make holes toward the top of "front and back". Tie twine to each of the holes and string it with each length separately attached to a target frame or clips with empty space underneath. If you hit the bottle just right at a lower corner it will spin! Of course those are not center of mass hits. Center of mass hits do make the bottles dance a bit, and "girls gotta have fun!" You can shoot the bottle(s) while on the move or while standing still. One bottle will last a long time for 2 or 3 shooters.

The first time I strung bottles between two target stands for our women's group (shooting outside) I didn't do the two separate holes, but just one hole per bottle, with the twine running through two bottles to the next target stand. If someone hits the string, the bottle is out of commission. I told them if they broke my string it would cost them $2,750.00........each. We DO have fun.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Pete Brownell says that when they get a truckload of 9mm (about 1 million rounds) it sells out in 2 hours.

😮

·
Registered
203 Posts
I'd pay to know who Brownells is selling that ammo to, and when those shipments were received
They have 9mm listed for $507 per thousand. I bookmarked the page and entered my email address to receive an availability notification. I have received none. I just re-entered my email address, and it should throw an error if my email address was already on the list. The took the email address (indicating that they had already either sent out notifications for a shipment, or erased the list).
Not holding my breath.

·
Registered
5,655 Posts
This is a great idea to bring down the price on ammo guns, don't buy ammo don't buy the guns. on gun broker 9mm still bring 1000 dollars per case if we don't stop paying this ridiculous price it will never go down, who in the f is paying this amount it can't be the people that have the shooting sports as a hobby is it the people that were anti guns but became the armed citizen that all of a sudden they felt the need to have one and paying this amount, who on this forum would pay $1000.00 for a case of ammo.
Who's paying these prices...pretty much a bunch of people who realized a year ago that the 2nd Amendment actually means something and they stepped out and purchased a firearm. The problem is so many purchased 9mm firearms that demand is high, driving up the price of 9mm ammunition. Combine that with the number of Law Enforcement Agencies that have switched from .40 S&W to 9mm, and demand continues to be high. I picked up enough during the Obummer years that I'm not feeling distressed now.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
When this is all over doesn't anyone wonder what the new price of a box of 380,9mm,etc will be, I have been shooting for over 50 years and every time there's a school shooting it went up in price then would go down but never to what the price was before it went up, maybe the new price will be half of what they get now new price 25 dollars for 50 rds of 9mm still to much,

·
Registered
75 Posts
The "Now that the weather is getting warmer" thread went sideways, twice (Ohio and Italy).
That sentence I quoted relates to something that was not mentioned on that topic.
The China flu rates for infection, hospitalization, and death, dropped in exact synchronization with the onset of the extreme cold weather and snow. The testing centers closed for that bad weather event, and the rates dropped through the floor. Everyone with a common cold or seasonal flu stayed home and treated themselves with chicken noodle soup and orange juice. The numbers plummeted.
The temperatures are back just above freezing, and the snow and ice is melting. Those parking lot testing centers are back open, and people with the sniffles are flocking back to get swabbed.
Those statistics that have been used so skillfully to keep the nation shut down, will again show rising numbers, because more testing equals rising numbers. People in New York stated they started in with the doom-and-gloom a couple days ago, and here in the Midwest, they came up with "an alarming 30% increase" last night.
Expect the lock downs to increase, plateau, and trail off at the end of the flu season. The new flu season goes through the second week of June. Just like last year, from about June 15 through June 25th, they will tell us that it's all over, and they will lift their foot off our necks just a little. Then, on June 26th, the apocalypse will be only a few days away, and the Forth of July has to be cancelled. The new beginning of the flu season. They will need a new vaccine for everyone. And the lock down roller coaster ride will begin again.

I've been living through a year of people telling me "Oh, they will never do that", and then watched it happen.
I have lived a lifetime under the rules of Murphy's Law, and a situation never lets up until I have wasted more money trying to resolve it that I can afford. This one keeps dragging on with no end in sight. This looks like 4-8 years of economic disaster combined with the ongoing plague fiasco as long as it serves their political purpose in their effort to tear down the nation and our rights.

People won't stop buying guns and ammo, and start buying posies, any time soon.
Ironic that you should post this as we cross the half million mark of dead.

·
Registered
415 Posts
I "bit the bullet" and spent $700 for 1000 9mm's. They are 124gr, a hole in my collection. A month later they are $1,000. Now showing $1,500 plus on some sites. Crazy. Not needing to buy anything again for a long while, but shocked how quick it increased.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts