Ruger Forum banner

21 - 40 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
I bought 1 box American Eagle .357 Magnum 158 gr JSP for $89.95 Saturday. Hated to do it, but I needed it. Now I see it on G*nbr*ker dot com for $120/box so I don't feel so bad. I found a LGS that actually had a good assorment of ammo.
My range has 9MM at $22.95./box, limit 3 (for members only), up from $16.95 a year ago.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I "bit the bullet" and spent $700 for 1000 9mm's. They are 124gr, a hole in my collection. A month later they are $1,000. Now showing $1,500 plus on some sites. Crazy. Not needing to buy anything again for a long while, but shocked how quick it increased.
Don't feel bad about $.70 per round. That's actually a good price in today's environment. You actually did pretty well.

·
Registered
63 Posts
This is a great idea to bring down the price on ammo guns, don't buy ammo don't buy the guns. on gun broker 9mm still bring 1000 dollars per case if we don't stop paying this ridiculous price it will never go down, who in the f is paying this amount it can't be the people that have the shooting sports as a hobby,is it the people that were anti guns but became the armed citizen that all of a sudden they felt the need to have one and paying this amount, who on this forum would pay $1000.00 for a case of ammo.
People who don’t have any I guess. I bought 500 rounds in January and the seller asked me if I wanted another 500 or a few thousand. I said no save it for other buyers, wish I bought another 500. I can’t believe how people stockpile but rarely shoot.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Reloading components are equally hard to find and expensive. Primers are nearly non existent in brick and mortal stores so those who want them are left to GB auctions. Already high prices continue to rise on GB. People buying 5K-10K primers at a time at $200+ per1000 must believe prices won't go down any time soon. Some are willing to pay $300-$400 for 1K primers! Looking at today's prices makes me happy I still have 7K rounds left that I hoarded when Walmart discontinued handgun ammo. Wish I bought more though.

·
Registered
5 Posts
This is a great idea to bring down the price on ammo guns, don't buy ammo don't buy the guns. on gun broker 9mm still bring 1000 dollars per case if we don't stop paying this ridiculous price it will never go down, who is paying this amount it can't be the people that have the shooting sports as a hobby,is it the people that were anti guns but became the armed citizen that all of a sudden they felt the need to have one and paying this amount, who on this forum would pay $1000.00 for a case of ammo.
All comes down to cash, use less materials to make less and charge more. Its working...

·
Registered
42 Posts
I bought 1 box American Eagle .357 Magnum 158 gr JSP for $89.95 Saturday. Hated to do it, but I needed it. Now I see it on G*nbr*ker dot com for $120/box so I don't feel so bad. I found a LGS that actually had a good assorment of ammo.
My range has 9MM at $22.95./box, limit 3 (for members only), up from $16.95 a year ago.
I bought this in early 2020, now the cheapest I see it online is $100 for the fifty rounds.
B761F0F3-55D0-4F49-B818-5122D6D298E5.jpeg

·
Pony Soldier
8,685 Posts
So just for fun I put this add on our local firearms forum in NE.

"Hello, I have a 50rd box of Speer Gold Dot 9mm 147gr GDHP.
Willing to trade for 1 750ml bottle of Casamigos Anejo Tequila, face to face only.
Greg"

I got no takers yet! I did get an offer of 2-30 packs of Hamms beer, but told him Negra Modelo is my brand!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have been wanting an HK VP9sk for a while now which are pretty much impossible to find except on GB. I notice everyone getting in these bidding wars bringing a $600 firearm up to $1000-$1300 are bidders with NR after their names, no rating noobs. I will wait for prices to get reasonable again, or never own one.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I keep track of who is and isn't gouging. I've found local suppliers that have earned my respect for keeping their heads above the greed. I'll continue to buy from those people. Many of them are new business relationships. In the last 30 days I've spent more than $6k on guns and ammo and over the course of the next 2 years, I'll likely bring them more business than probably 100 one time buyers. My brother is just as involved as I am and probably spends at least as much. We stick together and decide who gets our business and who doesn't. Its in the best interest of the local dealers not to screw their local customers over a few extra bucks per sale. When the dust settles, it will come back to bite them later.
That is the perfect and only way to push back against the (expletives deleted) gougers. Remember them the next time you have money burning a hole in your pocket.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Won't pay scalper prices for ammo, so to maintain some level of practice without burning through my modest (but adequate) supply, I broke out a Crosman 1077 pellet rifle I bought during the Obama shortage. Then bought a Crosman Vigilante for handgun practice.

For rapid fire target acquisition and trigger control exercises at 10 meters, and at about 3¢ per round, shooting the semi-auto Crosmans is far better than not shooting anything. Basement range with a pellet trap I built myself, and a backstop that lets me shoot at flip-downs, spinners, ferris wheels, chalk disks and other novelty targets.

The 1077 holds a 12-round magazine and handles like a Ruger 1022. The Vigilante uses 10-round mags and is about the size of a medium frame .357, but only weighs 2 pounds. Spare mags for both are cheap, so I have a dozen for each. The 1077 goes for less than $100; the Vigilante set me back $50, plus shipping.

Pyramyd Air and Air Gun Depot are the vendors I am using. Two-day shipping via FedEx. Not dirt cheap, but not much more than it would cost me to drive the 35 miles to the nearest shop.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Who's buying all the ammo?

I think it's the same people who were picking store shelves clean of all the toilet paper and Lysol when the 'vid came on the scene.

I haven't been shooting lately and have no need to restock ammo.

As the nation begins to get a handle on the plague, things will begin to return to some semblance of normal ....maybe.
I "bit the bullet" and spent $700 for 1000 9mm's. They are 124gr, a hole in my collection. A month later they are $1,000. Now showing $1,500 plus on some sites. Crazy. Not needing to buy anything again for a long while, but shocked how quick it increased.
I’m thinking about auctioning off my ammo one round at a time. Maybe just sell them 3 for $5.
gun dealers are buying the ammo and idiots are paying the ridicoulous prices for them just dont buy and let them eat that ammo'

·
Registered
2 Posts
This reminds me of the toilet paper situation a while back. Everyone bought up all they could find. In some cases, greater than a year's worth. The resultant toilet paper market went in the toilet (sic). Everyone was well stocked and sales were going to crap. I suggest the same outcome in time will happen in the ammo market. Part of what is fueling the shortage (used advisedly) is the media and politicians. They created this hoarding mentality.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I try to stop in at all the local gun shops while out driving for work and some days I find little to nothing I want, then other days I hit the lotto and score on ammo. Today I went in to one and they had their shelves loaded with ammo but they had a limit of two boxes for each costumer. Now since I was looking at 22LR they told me I could have four boxes, so not bad 200 rounds for under 14 dollars. There might be light at the end of the tunnel yet.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have bought several guns since the plandemic started. And rim fire ammo. Paid pre-plandemic prices. Just have to shop at the right places.
Ditto. Picked up a Glock 45 without Blue Label pricing for just over $500. Still finding 9mm under 30 cpr, but you have to be patient. 22 LR on Black Friday for 4 CPR!

21 - 40 of 68 Posts