Ruger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Banned
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My latest trip to the local gun shop left me with some lasting concerns. What is with all these plastic guns. They can call it polymer or whatever but it is simply plastic. What is with all these weird shaped funky colored turds they are selling as handguns these days.

Might have known the gun manufactures would start cheapening things up just like all the other manufactures have. The cost of production goes down but the purchase prices keep going up.

What ever happened to fine machining, nice finish, quality control and workmanship. High quality gun making has always been an art. Now it's become a matter of using plastic injection molding to crap out a cookie cutter.

·
Banned
2,189 Posts
Welcome to the 1980's !

·
Banned
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I admit to being an old fart but this is crazy.

·
Registered
155 Posts
plastic

Get over it! And get rid of that rotary phone in your house.:rolleyes:

·
Banned
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
With exception of the grips or stocks yes all my guns are metal. Everything I own is at least 40 years old. There are uses for plastic but handguns are not "in my opinion" one of them.

I just can't see plastic handgun lasting 70 or so years as my 1911s have.

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
My latest trip to the local gun shop left me with some lasting concerns. What is with all these plastic guns. They can call it polymer or whatever but it is simply plastic.
You have not been to a LGS for how many years? I'm a metal and wood guy myself. I agree that plastic is just a cheaper to make and higher profit material in many cases.

I have no problem with the plastic grip frame of LCRs, or the trigger group housing on 10/22s. If I did I would not own them. These parts have substantial mass and are a likely improvement for their intended purpose (Although I would still prefer my LCRs to be totally stainless with separate grip panels!). Plastic rifle stocks are very good for all weather use and light weight.

I do not care for autoloading pistols with plastic frames. I will never believe they are as equally strong and durable as a metal frame. Those without separate grip panels lose a definite advantage that metal frames have.

·
Registered
98 Posts
With exception of the grips or stocks yes all my guns are metal. Everything I own is at least 40 years old. There are uses for plastic but handguns are not "in my opinion" one of them.

I've heard the plastic part of these guns has a half-life of 25 gazillion years! But I too still prefer "traditional" firearms made of metal.

·
Former Hoadpiler
32,418 Posts

I'm 62 now so that means if I buy one today it will last me till I'm 132 years old. Still I like the look and feel of older metal and wood guns. But my everyday carry is polymer. I think they both have a place in the gun world.

·
Registered
6,450 Posts
Plastic

Well I'm 65, and love all the beautiful steel and wood handguns, but I've tried to keep up with modern technology as well. I own a Glock and a P95, and they're both great and I accept the materials they're made of as cutting edge. "Plastic" use in semi-auto pistols I accept and admire.:) But I'm still having a problem with "plastic" revolvers:eek:

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
I have a P95...it is half polymer (plastic) and I seriously doubt that I will ever out live that gun. It already has 1000's of rounds throught it and there is no scratches on the polymer where the slide cycles back and forth, and that is a gun where the slide is assembled right on the polymer, no steel guides.

I can't see an issue with it at all.

·
CARSON-WEST - 2016
6,784 Posts
Man Tim, I hope you don't need to buy a car anytime soon. The amount of polymer materials in cars would send you over the edge!

·
Registered
6,532 Posts
Someone needs to get out more often, catch up with modern times and learn a bit out modern materials and manufacturing.

·
Registered
350 Posts
I felt the same way RE: "plastic" firearms, until I saw the FNX-45. It's a tank, & I'd own one w/out any reservations. All-in-all it's up to the manufacturer to provide a quality product. There are plenty of crappy metal guns in circulation, too.

·
Banned
2,189 Posts
This thread reminds me of the people that criticize Ruger over going to the plastic 10/22 receiver. It is actually more durable than the metal.

·
Registered
4,766 Posts
I suppose people complained when they stopped making false teeth out of wood.

Times change. Losts of people have a hard time adapting.

There are polymer resins that are stronger, cheaper, lighter, etc. than steel.

Plus they don't rust.

1 - 20 of 81 Posts