Ruger Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm kinda peeved. I bought a new birch 10/22 carbine in 2012, and in 2014, I bought a new 10/22 deluxe sporter. I just noticed this evening that the newer one has a plastic rear sight. Yuck. The part that folds down used to be made of metal, and it had nice white lines for adjusting elevation. It comes with the "V" notch up, but you can turn it upside down and have a "U" notch instead.

The new one has the part that folds down made from plastic. The elevation adjustment markings are moulded into the plastic, but are not painted white. The "V" notch is the only option.

The newer sight is not hideous- as long as you don't see it side by side with the older one. Next to the older one, though, it just looks cheap.

·
Registered
159 Posts
In today's inflationary environment, Ruger has to take costs out of the product in order to maintain its low price. My old eyes can't use a blade sight any more. I'd look at the Marble Arms Bullseye rear sight if the OEM one bugs you - looks better and works better, too.

·
Banned
650 Posts
The fantastic plastic Glock sights are pretty good. Everyone seems to be happy with the polymer Magpul peep sight. Why not ruger? I don't know anyone that actually used the metal flip down sight for more than a few weeks. Then they either got a aftermarket sight or an optic of some fashion. If it drives the price of a 10/22 carbine under $200 IMO it's a good thing. We are seeing 10/22 rifles for $219 or less now.

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
I think those older metal 10/22 sights were made under contract by a small gun parts/sight manufacturer, either they went out of business, Ruger got tired of paying for them, and/or Ruger realized they could save 10's of thousands of $$$$ by using a $2 sight vs. a $10 one, and most people probably won't notice.......

I put a set of Tech Sights on my "beater" 10/22 and I have a new one on the way, I think I'll try an optic on that one. I was never a fan of that flip up sight anyway, and I've had my 10/22 since 1994.

·
Registered
5,246 Posts
I replace those sights with Skinner peep sights anyway, so can't say that I even noticed. Either that or a put a scope on it or both.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts