Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi fellows I'm new to guns and currently only have a ruger 10/22 and benelli SBE2. I want a pistol for concealed carry and home defense.
Would like something that has easily accessible and reasonably priced ammo.
Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Also would like it to be a ruger!

·
Registered
28 Posts
1 pistol for both concealed and home defense. If in a semi auto I would recommend a sr9c or a sr40c. If in a revolver then I would say a 2 1/2 or 3 inch sp101 or s&w in 357

·
Registered
505 Posts
Love my SR9 for both.

·
Registered
14 Posts
LC9 its so small you can take it anywhere everytime you leave the house. Even in shorts and t-shirt its easy to conceal.
good luck

·
Registered
7,096 Posts
Your info indicates you live in Illinois, if you want to CCW, shouldn't you move first(to MO.), then worry about a pistol?
Anyway, after you move, go with the SR9c, 17 round mag/full size grip with a light for home defense & the 10 round mag. for CCW in MO.
Also, welcome neighbor!

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Your info indicates you live in Illinois, if you want to CCW, shouldn't you move first(to MO.), then worry about a pistol?
Anyway, after you move, go with the SR9c, 17 round mag/full size grip with a light for home defense & the 10 round mag. for CCW in MO.
Also, welcome neighbor!
Haha your right I do live in Illinois. If it makes you feel better let's just say home defense but I'm really hoping we get concealed carry soon.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
LC9 its so small you can take it anywhere everytime you leave the house. Even in shorts and t-shirt its easy to conceal.
good luck
I was just reading about this in another thread. It looks like a great little gun and great reviews.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm so new to guns I'm still learning calibers! So seems most are saying 9mm?

·
Registered
590 Posts
For "just" CCW I'd recommend the LC9. For "both" CCW "and" Home Defense I'd recommend the SR9c. It comes with a 10 round magazine for CCW and a 17 round you can use as a spare magazine or for Home Defense. Both are 9mm and great pistols.

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
.38 plus p or .357 mag if revolver and 9mm if pistol. Be aware that a .357 snubby kicks like a mule. You do have the option to feed it std 38 special, plus p's or full house .357's.

·
Registered
14 Posts
yeah , I'd say LC9 cause its really easy to carry. Originally I thought I wanted something bigger like 40 or 45 or even a full size 9 because of the mag cap. , but I think if it was bigger I may leave it at home or in the car more than I'd want. I never go without the LC9. Ever. To me that says alot about how convenient it is. But then again Im 5'10 195lbs. if I was a bigger dude maybe I would be into a full size, etc.....
You might wanna get on board with the SR556FB real quick before its not an option ! then AK !

·
Registered
563 Posts
Hi fellows I'm new to guns and currently only have a ruger 10/22 and benelli SBE2. I want a pistol for concealed carry and home defense.
Would like something that has easily accessible and reasonably priced ammo.
Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Also would like it to be a ruger!
The SR9c comes with a longer 17 round mag which extends the grip to full size for control and comfort. Or you can use the 10 round mag for concealed carry. The "c" has a 3.5" barrel compared to the (I think) 4" barrel of the full sized SR9.

I bought the SR9c and really like it. If you're not planing to carry I would recommend a full sized gun.

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
I have the SR9c and the SR1911. I am very happy with both.

·
Registered
563 Posts
I'm so new to guns I'm still learning calibers! So seems most are saying 9mm?
The 9mm ammo is effective and inexpensive. Personally if buying bigger, I would go from a 9mm to a .45 and skip the .40... But that's just me.

In a revolver, the .357 Magnum packs a lot of punch and you can also shoot the less powerful .38 Special rounds in a gun chambered for .357 Magnum, but you cannot shoot .357 Magnum in a .38 Special.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I would recommend the LC9 but I'm not a fan of the SR series unless it's the SR1911. If you like that design you may consider one of those options. I own a P95 but it's a bit bulky for concealled carry. I can do so relatively easy as I'm a big guy.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Wow guys I can't believe all the fast responses, this place is great? So are you guys saying I need 2? One for home defense and one for ccw? I don't even have the option to carry in illinois yet but was planning ahead and hoping to buy 1 for both?

·
Registered
228 Posts
Wow guys I can't believe all the fast responses, this place is great? So are you guys saying I need 2? One for home defense and one for ccw? I don't even have the option to carry in illinois yet but was planning ahead and hoping to buy 1 for both?
I personally only have the P95 that I use for both. I'm of the belief that you can never have too many guns, so if you want both then that's what you should do. LOL. I DO plan on purchasing a LC9 to add to my concealed carry options but like you, I'll use all the guns I have for both purposes. I'll just have more options. lol

1 - 20 of 91 Posts