Ruger Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i'd put this in the range report, but the coolest part of this really had nothing to do with the shooting part.

so....

my chiropractor (former LEO) told about a beautiful spot out of town in the desert at the foot of the mountains.

found it, and went out the other day. grey, cloudy day. decent day shooting, though still working on sighting in the 10/22 at 100 yds.

THE COOLEST PART though was that i saw AT LEAST 20 and possibly up to 24 wild horses on my drive up the road to the shooting area.

lived here 5.5 years and haven't seen any wild horses or burros until now, and then suddenly 20+ in one day! too, too cool!!

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts
We used to have a lot of brumbys around our area.
Sadly they all got wiped out in a bushfire, except one stallion.
He can still be seen ocassionally.
Yep, it can be those things that make your day.

·
Registered
5,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We used to have a lot of brumbys around our area.
Sadly they all got wiped out in a bushfire, except one stallion.
He can still be seen ocassionally.
Yep, it can be those things that make your day.
hearing you mention brumbys always makes me think of 'the man from snowy river' -- one of my favorite movies as a kid. needless to say, that part at the end where he (stuntman) rides down the cliff was my most favorite of all. that movie was on one of the lesser cable channels here a few months back and i loved watching it all over again. there really is something about wild horses-- and i'm not even a horse guy.

·
Registered
5,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i actually got REALLY excited about a year and a half ago when the news came out that in my home state of Montana, a wild horse was born on wild horse island in flathead lake for the first time in over 100 years. apparently, fish and game had a plan of keeping the island at a constant population by bringing in wild horses to replace those that died off, but a pregnant one snuck in under the radar. very cool!!!

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
hearing you mention brumbys always makes me think of 'the man from snowy river' -- one of my favorite movies as a kid. needless to say, that part at the end where he (stuntman) rides down the cliff was my most favorite of all. that movie was on one of the lesser cable channels here a few months back and i loved watching it all over again. there really is something about wild horses-- and i'm not even a horse guy.
I thought the actor did his own riding in that movie?

·
Registered
523 Posts
Sights like that are too rare in our world today. Im glad you got to see them.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Re: The Man from Snowy River

That was a favorite of mine too. I used to run down the steep riverbanks when I was a kid pretending to be riding a "brumby". Can hear the theme song now.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts