Ruger Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sure this has come up a few times but, I just never paid attention.

Lately I've bee keeping half a dozen pmags all charged up on the safe for the 556 and 308.

How long before I have issues with the springs in the mags. Do I need to 'give them a rest'?

My current plan is to rotate the mags through by using the loaded ones - leave them empty and load some new mags to sit until I either need them or I go to the range again.

·
Premium Member
Support Veterans
2,633 Posts
I have the same questions with PMAGS for our AR's. Due to current issues we have several at the ready. I do cycle mine with training but have the same questions.

·
Registered
59 Posts
On Pmags it's the constant pressure of the bullet on the feed lips that you need to be concerned about.
The later gen mags with the cap addresses this by relieving the pressure on the feed lips.

Loaded .308 Pmags will break the feed lips even with the cap if they hit the ground loaded.
I have managed to prove this twice so far, Magpul replaced both mags and I don't store them loaded anymore.

·
Registered
951 Posts
On Pmags it's the constant pressure of the bullet on the feed lips that you need to be concerned about.
The later gen mags with the cap addresses this by relieving the pressure on the feed lips.

Loaded .308 Pmags will break the feed lips even with the cap if they hit the ground loaded.
I have managed to prove this twice so far, Magpul replaced both mags and I don't store them loaded anymore.
The feed lips is the only reason I use the dust covers with Pmags.
For long term storage of loaded mags I use USGI aluminum.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

1 - 5 of 5 Posts