Ruger Forum banner

21 - 40 of 96 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,924 Posts
With a pair of shorts on in hot weather............LCR 357, S&W Model 637 Chief's Special, Kimber Micro 9 and 380.

·
Administrator
22,301 Posts
Has anyone given any consideration to derringers?
I own a Bond Snake Slayer (45/410) and also have a 44 Spl BBL. The .410 I carry in a sticky pocket holster while hiking in FL or just out around the yard. The 44 Spl I carry around the yard in NH.

For normal out and about carry I have a Sig P938 in a DeSantis pocket holster or less frequently a Sig P320 SC in .40 S&W either IWB or OWB.

·
Grand Inquisitor
2,035 Posts
Kimber K6S, front pocket of the correct trousers, in a Simply Rugged pocket holster, held up by a Daltech Force steel core belt. I can carry all day, no printing, no discomfort. .38 +p Hornady Critical Defense on board. Sometimes I carry 6 more in a speed strip.

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
My Shield Plus or Micro 9 IWB appendix in a leather Relentless Tactical Defender most of the time. Just picked up an LCP .380 that I'll carry as a BUG or when I need deep concealment.

·
Registered
445 Posts
For normal out and about carry I have a Sig P938 in a DeSantis pocket holster... .
I have been carrying a Sig P938 since I got my CWP. It goes in a Galco Pocket Protector in my front pocket.

It's a great shooter, and it's gotten most of the range time out of all of my guns since I bought it, since it's the one I'm likeliest to have to use if things ever go sideways.

What really struck me about it when I first tried a rental before actually buying it was how controllable and comfortable it was for such a tiny little pistol. At 25yds on 8" plates, it's controllable enough to get routine .75-second splits, and it eats everything I feed it, from 65gr Inceptors to 147gr HST rounds and 150gr sub-sonic rounds. The only significant changes to POI are about a 4"-5" drop in POI at 25yds with the 65gr Inceptors, so I aim just below the tops of the plates with those, and with the 147 and 150gr rounds, it's maybe a 1"-2" rise in POI, which has little effect on my point of aim.

I think the stippling is a substantial contributor to how it shoots so well. I do have big hands, so I can only get two fingers on the grip, but because the grip is so solid with those two fingers, there is zero shift. I practice shooting one-handed at those 25yd 8"-10" plates with my strong and weak hands, each, with it, and it does the trick well.

The sights also contribute to its shootability. They are substantial and easy to acquire.

The bottom line is that after over 5000 rounds through it, I am just as comfortable with it as I would be with any of my full-size handguns, and I can't imagine a lot of other pistols its size would be as easy to shoot as it is. I do, however, want to jump up to a P365. I rented one of those, once, and it was also a dream to shoot.

·
Registered
12 Posts
View attachment 155964

Front pocket, back pocket, jacket pocket....what are you carrying?

I'm getting away from the big ol' honkin' heavy gun at 3:00 o'clock and carrying smaller pistols that can be carried and presented with an element of surprise and speed, more easily transferred from car to pocket without even being seen.
I don't like pocket carry. it's not for me. I use a belt slide holster because of the speed of the draw - just saying

·
Registered
78 Posts
View attachment 155964

Front pocket, back pocket, jacket pocket....what are you carrying?

I'm getting away from the big ol' honkin' heavy gun at 3:00 o'clock and carrying smaller pistols that can be carried and presented with an element of surprise and speed, more easily transferred from car to pocket without even being seen.
LCP, front pocket. Nice holsters out there for pocket carry. Some look like a wallet in the pocket.

·
Registered
12 Posts
...all the training and all the weapons & ammo...and they still pulled off Pearl Harbor. Surprise Attack and you best be ready for it?

·
Registered
78 Posts
... pocket carry not good in dire situations. Been there. Done that. Can't recommend from personal experience.
Better or worse than ankle holsters? I think pocket carry is better than an ankle holster. Less "tells".

Best in my experience would be a side hip holster. I have those too. I don't normally wear them. They create a slightly lopsided print. They also induce a gait that screams "gun" to people.

Where were you that you had to quick draw? Law enforcement? Private Security? Were you plain clothes or uniformed?

·
Registered
78 Posts
... there is no defense against the "sucker punch"! just saying
That's a touchy one. I've been sucker punched. Usually someone has to set you up. Long before they get you, they are getting you. A sucker punch requires betraying trust or taking advantage of distractions.

21 - 40 of 96 Posts