Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to buy my first CCW pistol. I wear a variety of clothing, from jeans and a T-shirt to full suits, never anything you'd call baggy. A pocket carry 9mm/380 seems like the wisest choice; something that won't print no matter what I'm wearing. Lots of choices out there, but my main concern is the trigger. I have a P95 at home with what seems like a 15-20lb pull in DA (I haven't measured it, just from what I've read; SA is something like 4.5 - 5lbs). The double action pull is ridiculous, and hasn't lessened over time. My wife can't even fire it in DA. I understand that many subcompact and pocket sized DA pistols have similarly difficult trigger pulls. I don't want something that takes such force and pull to fire that I'd question my accuracy in a dangerous situation. I'm not looking for a hair trigger by any means, but definitely something reasonable. From reviews I understand that the Ruger pocket pistols, Bodyguard and some others have pretty heavy trigger poundage, enough that a lot of people actively complain about it. Any suggestions? I've been looking at the Kahr PM9 and 380, Glock 42/43, Shield (Pro Ported version), and some others. Im open to just about any options and want to know what you think. My wife has to be able to pull the trigger with at best a moderate amount of force. What do you think?

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
You're in the P&R section, so on the revolver side, the LCR has the best out-of-box trigger out there, IMO. I chose the 357 and carry 38+p. The 38 only and 9mm will both have more felt recoil (as would shooting 357 of course). The 327 shooting 32H&R might be another lower recoil option but I haven't tried it.

On the pistol side, the only thing I can say is that the Glock 42 trigger should meet your requirement. I have been at the range with a small framed female, occasional shooter, who handled it just fine.

Best bet if you can swing it is to rent some at an indoor range.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Don't underestimate a revolver for CCW (and agreed on the LCR). It will always go bang when you need it to,even if you have to shoot it thru your pocket, whereas a semi could get off the 1st shot & jam once the slide gets obstructed or limp-wristed.
If your mind is set on the semi, then I would go with the Kahr - I personally love the trigger pull (but others don't care for it). If the PM9 is too pricey, check out their CM9.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
I have an LCP custom and front pocket carry. I don't know what the trigger pull is, but I feel it's heavy enough for safe pocket carry yet light enough for combat accuracy. It's the perfect pocket carry gun for me.
I also have an LCR 357 and honestly don't think it is a good front pocket gun. It can be done, but for me it's a bit too big for regular jeans carry. YMMV, but it sounds like you dress the same as I and the LCR is a bit bulky. I never did try the boot grip which may help.
Again, my opinion only, but there's no way I'm shoving a Glock or similar in my front pocket. I want a long, deliberate, DA trigger pull on a pocket gun. The LCP custom (highly recommend ) or LCR of you can make it work is the best choice.
Rent them if possible

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have a few of the smaller handguns including TCP, LCP, Bodyguard, etc. and typically they do have a heavy trigger. My suggestion is Kimber Solo or Micro Carry. I have both and don't this you'll be disappointed with either one.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I realize this is the Ruger forum, but my EDC is a Sig Sauer P320 9mm Subcompact. All the reviews I've read rave about the trigger and I've found it to be a delight. It IS a striker fired pistol which may not appeal to you. I have a Sig Sauer SP2022 9mm on order. It is a DA/SA and reviews claim the DA pull is a bit over 10 pounds and SA is a bit over 4. It is larger than the P320, but may still be an option.

·
Registered
644 Posts
I carry my Ruger LCR 9mm everyday, everywhere. Either as my main or my back up. Longer trigger, but a great trigger.

But for true pocket I LOVE my Colt Mustang. Good looks, easy shooting, good trigger and reliable. Sig P238 is similar, as well as the kimber one I believe as well? But I have a thing for the Colt. Highly recommended. About the same size as the LCP, but shoots better and better trigger

·
Registered
76 Posts
I have a 2nd generation LC9 and it does have a long and heavy trigger pull. I tried a LC9s once and the trigger was much lighter, so light I would be a bit concerned about carrying it. I actually carry an LCP because the slightly smaller size makes a big difference. I've gotten used to the trigger.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
There are a number of good suggestions as to pistol/revolver choices, but I would recommend you and your wife go to a range that has a good variety of guns to rent and both of you try them to see what you like best. If your wife is going to shoot the weapon also, you need to consider not only trigger pull weight, but felt recoil, as well. Also, can she rack the slide on a semi-auto you might choose.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sorry guys; total noob mistake posting in the wrong place. Can an admin move the thread to the proper location?

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
As a noob looking for his/her first CCW gun here's some tips.

1) Print through does not trump the gun choice.

2) You didn't mention the age of your wife, but if she must just strengthen her grip with exercise then so be it. The priority level is life & death survival. Remember that.

3) A revolver that shoots a rimfire cartridge, .22lr or .22MAG will have a heavier trigger pull than a center fire cartridge. Rimfire cartridges require a bigger wack to crush the brass rim. Center fire's only require you crush a primer.

4) A Ruger LCR was designed (and Pat Pend) for a woman's hand strength. As such it will have the most reasonable trigger pull. If you get one, just work with it for a while, you'll be surprised how fast you'll adapt.

5) Accuracy, sites, etc. Remember this gun is for social work and likely distances of less than 20' or so. Adjustable sites are the last thing you want as they can snag. You want FAST reliable retrieval. As far as accuracy, YOU are the biggest factor and your ability for bullet placement in the critical area is all that's needed. 2" groups while you concentrate is pretty meaningless - you won't be concentrating.

6) Comfort - forget about it. It's pretty low on the list behind reliability, ease of carry, ease of retrieval and how effective you can be. BUT you should be able to pull it out and have a good grip on it. How it feels after 50+ rounds is pretty much meaningless.

7) Caliber - This is really about FELT recoil. You want a gun that doesn't overwhelm your ability to regain control for a fast followup shot. PUtting out a fast and EFFECTIVE primary AND followup shot trumps caliber. Bullet placement trumps caliber every time.

8) Ammo selection: It all looks good on paper (from the seller). But reliability in YOUR gun is the trump card followed by your bullet placement. A magic bullet is useless if is jams in your gun. Practice with your carry ammo. This is a big point in pistols.

9) Leds are pretty useless broad daylight. Strongly consider night sites. Strongly consider alternative site pictures. At least look at different grips to make an informed choice of stock vs. something that fits you better or gives you more control. Remember: this is ALL ABOUT function, not beauty.

FINALLY: PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE. and if you are NOT DAMN SURE you'll use this when/if the time comes then forget all about it as you're pretty likely to just be killed by your own gun.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Most pistol's triggers are a compromise. Cost vs. safety. Almost all can be improved by putting 500-1,000 rounds down the pipe, and dry firing, and polishing the assembly, or having a gunsmith go over it, or an aftermarket trigger.

To wit: I really like my Shield 9mm, but the "bendy in the middle" S&W trigger is a compromise of cost, safety, and long reset. For $70 and 20 minutes of work with hand tools, I installed an Apex trigger and sear. As safe or more so than stock, much smoother, positive reset, easier to control.

Buy the gun that fits you, and that you shoot well, research a little to see what improvements are available if you want to do them. Shoot one with improvements if possible, but you probably can get a good idea if it is worth the expense and time by reading reviews, videos, etc.

The human hand is amazingly sensitive, the index finger even more so. You really can tell a difference when you are trying to effectively control your grip, align your sights, and pull a trigger without upsetting either of the first two. It amazed me how different a custom trigger felt.

Like new tires on a car that's worn through the OEM tires. You are amazed at how much better the car rides and handles, quieter, smoother.

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
I would probably say, either a Sig P238 or p938. It is a SAO trigger and a very easy trigger pull. The only caveat to these is you have to be ok with carrying cocked and locked like a 1911.

·
Registered
4,737 Posts
I realize this is the Ruger forum, but my EDC is a Sig Sauer P320 9mm Subcompact. All the reviews I've read rave about the trigger and I've found it to be a delight. It IS a striker fired pistol which may not appeal to you. I have a Sig Sauer SP2022 9mm on order. It is a DA/SA and reviews claim the DA pull is a bit over 10 pounds and SA is a bit over 4. It is larger than the P320, but may still be an option.
And it qualifies as a pocket carry firearm????

·
Registered
77 Posts
I have a few of the smaller handguns including TCP, LCP, Bodyguard, etc. and typically they do have a heavy trigger. My suggestion is Kimber Solo or Micro Carry. I have both and don't this you'll be disappointed with either one.
The original LCP has the same long, firm trigger pull as a P3AT. However, the new Version of the LCP, the LCP Custom, has a shorter, pretty nice trigger pull. As such, I would never carry a LCP Custom without full trigger coverage. For me, that is even true for the original LCP but I'm aware that some carry the LCP with the trigger uncovered, such as with belt clips. With the LCP Custom such carry could be really dangerous, in my opinion.

I upgraded to the LCP Custom and rear pocket carry in an Uncle George Wallet Holster.

http://blog.cheaperthandirt.com/ruger-lcp-custom-a-shooting-lc/

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
The original LCP has the same long, firm trigger pull as a P3AT. However, the new Version of the LCP, the LCP Custom, has a shorter, pretty nice trigger pull. As such, I would never carry a LCP Custom without full trigger coverage. For me, that is even true for the original LCP but I'm aware that some carry the LCP with the trigger uncovered, such as with belt clips. With the LCP Custom such carry could be really dangerous, in my opinion.

I upgraded to the LCP Custom and rear pocket carry in an Uncle George Wallet Holster.

The New Ruger LCP Custom?A Better Shooting LC
Most definitely. I would never consider pocket carrying without a good holster. I have the LCP custom in an Alabama kydex and really like it. I have a mag holder as well for my left pocket and it works well.

·
From Land of Fruit & Nuts
12,955 Posts
You're in the P&R section, so on the revolver side, the LCR has the best out-of-box trigger out there, IMO. I chose the 357 and carry 38+p. The 38 only and 9mm will both have more felt recoil (as would shooting 357 of course). The 327 shooting 32H&R might be another lower recoil option but I haven't tried it.

On the pistol side, the only thing I can say is that the Glock 42 trigger should meet your requirement. I have been at the range with a small framed female, occasional shooter, who handled it just fine.

Best bet if you can swing it is to rent some at an indoor range.
Agree 100% on any of the LCR revolvers.
My Glock G26 has been perfect after 800+ rounds.
It is my HD goto firearm, but prefer the LCR for carry.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Wow this is a wide open category with more great choices than any time in history.
My pocket carry is a S&W Bodyguard 380. Better sights than the LCP and has a laser. Trigger will suck if you are not a double-action revolver fan. Only way to find YOUR gun is to go to a range with a wide rental selection and shoot them. Normal here is 10 rounds for $10. Ten guns tested for $100 could save you hundreds in disappointment. Don't forget to check the fit of that "pocket" gun in your pocket with a holster.

·
Banned
9,381 Posts
I guess that would all depend on what specifically you like. Everyone has a different feel I think.

I like all metal hammer fired,, so,,
The best out of box triggers I liked were both on CZ's. A 75PCR and a 2075D rami. My 75 D compact PCR was really nice. Its now my EDC.
Keep in mind, thats a decocker. At first all I did was smear a little carbon fiber grease in the trigger mech. And I had no intentions of messing with it. But a 75 BD I bought had a really gritty trigger, so I ordered a #13 mainspring for it, and since they are only about $3 a piece, I ordered 3. It made the 75 BD trigger so nice, I did end up installing a #13 mainspring in the PCR. That makes it quite a bit lighter pulll, 11 to 7 lbs DA if I remember right, and VERY light on SA. I personally, would NOT recommend doing this on a 75 B, where you are going to carry it cocked and locked, ( or for a novice shooter) , but that is the same #13 spring that CZC uses in their custom trigger jobs. SO,,,,,? ? ? It really does make the DA trigger smooth as glass.

My wifes CZ 2075 D Rami ( also a decocker ) came with a really nice trigger. We have done nothing to it. Both the Rami and PCR, you could feel the DA or SA break, right out of the box. Very little creep in either. And both are great on accuracy, the PCR is a real tack driver for a compact. The RAmi D model comes with combat night sights factory, which are nice. Yes, its $600, but you certainly DONT need to upgrade nothing. The PCR's are around $500, also came with pretty decent night sights, but not quite as good as the rami's.

My wifes Ruger LCR 22 mag is pretty smooth, but also pretty heavy . But that just makes is safer for her to carry IMO. Thats a great sidearm, especially for a beginner. Easy to clean and work. Pretty accurate. I did install a fiber optic sight , which upped her accuracy and made it pretty sweet IMO. Thats what I started my wife on. And she loves it so much that she made it very clear when I offered to buy her a 9mm, that she wouldnt part with it. My wife is small, weak in the hands, recoil sensitive,, and she shoots both the CZ Rami and PCR,, they are her favorites to shoot. She does notice the heavy pull on the LCR.

Lots of other great options out there too, it just depends on what suits YOU and how much you can spend..
Good Luck.:)

1 - 20 of 31 Posts