Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm almost 70...I hike and bicycle....I carry a LC9s but I need that pocket gun when warm is here. I wear t-shirt and shorts. I need small but power too. I got rid of my LCP....and I lean toward the LCP ll.....but lets hear Ruger People say....my hands and wrists hurt plenty....

·
Corps Commander NGV
4,564 Posts
You are experiencing the pain of having a small, light pistol in an effective defensive caliber. Powerful guns that are easy to carry have intense recoil and the discomfort that goes with it. The laws of physics cannot be overruled by advertising hype. Adding gun weight, lowering projectile weight, or lowering velocity are all ways to mitigate the recoil and pain. It is all a compromise. Adding weight to the gun makes carry more difficult and uncomfortable. Decreasing projectile weight and velocity decrease penetration and lethality. New lightweight projectiles that don't rely on expansion for stopping power are one option to look into. There are no easy answers. Good luck in your quest to find the right solution for you.

·
Registered
4 Posts
This is my hot weather carry, and it's hot a lot here. All of about 7 oz loaded. Generally, 380 produces about the same FP as 22 mag. From experimentation with the Black Widow and the longer barrelled Mini Master, I can tell you that these little pistols are inherently accurate, but practice is necessary to develop the hold and trigger control. Also, very safe. With the hammer down and in it's cylinder slot, I could pound on it with a hammer and nothing would happen.

IMG_6302 by Robert Copple, on Flickr

IMG_6298 by Robert Copple, on Flickr

·
Registered
92 Posts

This is THE PERFECT pocket pistol for you.
8 rounds of .32acp in a Colt 1903 that has the fit and finish of a Swiss watch.

Everything is rounded. It's thinner than anything made today. The slide feels like it's on ball bearings and it's very easy to rack.
They were made from 1903 till 1945 and everyone from Gen. George Patton to John Dillinger carried one.

Mine is from 1922 and it's pure class.

·
Premium Member
13,881 Posts
Kimber Micro 380
S&W 637
Ruger LCR 357 (loaded with middle of the road 38's)

·
Premium Member
2,663 Posts
I carry a LCR 357 in which I shoot .38 Spcl ARX 77 grain copper polymer matrix bullets. They definitely aid in mitigating recoil. I'm looking into acquiring a Sig P365XL semi-auto in 9mm and equip it with ARX 65 grain for the same reasons.
As Rangerdeepv mentioned..the Kimber Micro in .380 or the Sig 365 in 9mm would make nice pocket guns.

·
Super Moderator
4,044 Posts
Light weight, low recoil, power. Pick two because you can't have all three. I'm sympathetic to your plight but the unfortunate reality is light weight usually means a lot of recoil unless it's an anemic caliber. Good luck with whatever you decide.

·
Grand Inquisitor
1,718 Posts
This is THE PERFECT pocket pistol for you.
8 rounds of .32acp in a Colt 1903 that has the fit and finish of a Swiss watch. . . .

Mine is from 1922 and it's pure class.
I shoot my brother-in-law’s two 1903s from time to time. I found him his second one, in great shape, for $650. I want one myself.

There is decent .32 ammo out now, so do not discount the round. Make sure the gun likes what you choose, however. We tend only to shoot hardball in the 1903s, but Hornady makes a Critical Defense round now. See more at The Best 32 ACP Ammo for Self-Defense - Lucky Gunner

Chris, in the test, had the best results with FMJ rounds. Personally, I feel better with .38+p in my pocket-carry Kimber K6S, but that is not a gun to carry when biking in shorts.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Contemplate cargo shorts instead of a different gun. I've carried a Glock 26 in the cargo pocket for years, your LC9s will carry much easier.

·
Grand Inquisitor
1,718 Posts
Contemplate cargo shorts instead of a different gun. I've carried a Glock 26 in the cargo pocket for years, your LC9s will carry much easier.
My Kimber K6S works in cargo shorts with a pocket holster, but I need a heavy gun belt. Then I don't even notice the gun is there. Luckily, Daltech steel-cores work all year round and would hold up a T-34 tank. They'd be fine for a lighter gun like the Glock or some of the other guns suggested.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I Loved shooting the .380 LCP II, but it wasn’t reliable and wore out after several hundred rounds so I couldn’t recommend it, maybe an LCR variant if you could fit that.

·
Super Moderator
21,196 Posts
Mine is a Sig P938. Carries easily in the strong hand front pocket in a DeSantis Pocket Holster and is 9 MM. I carry in cargo shorts or jeans. When I exercise walk in gym shorts then I step down to Beretta Pico which is a .380 in a pocket holster.

·
Registered
491 Posts
I recently went on a quest to get my first pocket pistol in 62 years. The questionable dependability of so many 380's eliminated them in my thinking.
I really wanted a 9mm as my starting caliber on this quest. I learned that the trigger action on almost all of the 9mm pocket size pistols was something I would have to get use to. I wanted to keep the cost at a max of $500. I also wanted a pocket pistol with more that a seven round capacity.
After much on-line research, visiting gun shows and questioning friends I came to five possibilities in my price range. They included the Ruger EC9S, the Glock 43, SIG 365, the S&W Shield 9mm sub-compact 2.0 and the Beretta APX carry.
I ended up with the Beretta for reasons such as trigger feel, nine or seven round capacity, very manageable recoil and a solid built, accurate, pocket sized, reliable pistol.
I've only just begun to put some miles on it , but so far, so good.

·
Registered
822 Posts
I have experimented with 380 defensive rounds and found that the federal "old school" hydrashoks in 90 grain worked best for me as far as low recoil, accuracy ,and feeding I used to carry 99 gr HST's and they hurt a lot to shoot.
Your mileage may vary, but try different loadings.

·
Registered
252 Posts
My pocket pistol. Is a Taurus spectrum .380. I load 95 grain hard cast lead. 3 grains of sport pistol. They go through a 1lb propane bottle at 20 yards. Figure that will handle going through a jacket and shirt with ease.

·
Registered
992 Posts
My LCRX in 327 Federal Magnum works well for that purpose.

it is accurate, reliable, and small. I use a sticky pocket holster.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts