Ruger Forum banner

21 - 40 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
I'd like to know what wore out ? All you need to do is call Ruger they'll fix it.
I did send it back to Ruger 3 times.

The first time I sent it back the extractor flew out of the gun at about 500 rds. But before that the gun malfunctioned persistently. They replaced the barrel and slide assembly.

After I got it back It worked well for about 250 rounds before the magazine started dropping while firing, then started to exhibit many other various failures. So I sent it back again. They replaced everything but the trigger frame.

After I got it back again it would accept 7rd magazines but 6rd magazines had to be hit pretty hard to seat them. Then it fired reliably for 358rds before it started failing to extract fairly consistently.

So I sent it back a third time. This time they contacted me and requested I choose a different model to replace it, and gave me credit towards a different model. Apparently the gun wasn’t designed to be durable to put very many rounds through it.

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
I'm 70 , S&W J-Frame Airweight goes in the pocket .
My pick , after decades of testing and trying, model 637 , 38 special .
Only another old person knows how the fingers hands and arms feel , I can relate big time .
This set up has worked since 2005 .
Gary.

·
Registered
3,132 Posts
Let me sidetrack and hijack this thread. Has anyone used with satisfaction a holster such as the belly band type that might allow a larger handgun to be carried?

Myself, I still typically carry my normal EDC, but use a good belt. I need to go max concealment at all times because I carry in the workplace and thus need to not show or print in a dress shirt and pants.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
951 Posts
I did send it back to Ruger 3 times.

The first time I sent it back the extractor flew out of the gun at about 500 rds. But before that the gun malfunctioned persistently. They replaced the barrel and slide assembly.

After I got it back It worked well for about 250 rounds before the magazine started dropping while firing, then started to exhibit many other various failures. So I sent it back again. They replaced everything but the trigger frame.

After I got it back again it would accept 7rd magazines but 6rd magazines had to be hit pretty hard to seat them. Then it fired reliably for 358rds before it started failing to extract fairly consistently.

So I sent it back a third time. This time they contacted me and requested I choose a different model to replace it, and gave me credit towards a different model. Apparently the gun wasn’t designed to be durable to put very many rounds through it.
Well I guess you really gave it the torture test. So did you trade it in for another gun ?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I'm 70 , S&W J-Frame Airweight goes in the pocket .
My pick , after decades of testing and trying, model 637 , 38 special .
Only another old person knows how the fingers hands and arms feel , I can relate big time .
This set up has worked since 2005 .
Gary.
I've been looking that way.....might look at the LCR I sold two....22lr and 22mag.....thanks I'm thinking more

·
Registered
48 Posts
Well I guess you really gave it the torture test. So did you trade it in for another gun ?
Yea, I turned it in for an SR22 that already needs to go back to Ruger from damage caused by dry firing; even though the manual claims it is safe to do so, and encourages it for practice.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I have several quote-unquote pocket pistols but the one that is my favorite is a Smith & Wesson AirLite .357-38, Scandium frame, titanium chamber, with 38s using a 90 grain Hornaday Lite .38, 1000+ fps with short barrel.
This is really easy to shoot and The Recoil is not bad.
This setup weighs 13.8 Oz loaded.
That includes at Crimson Trace Red Dot grip. It is very easy just to slip in your pocket and no problem you don't even know it's there till you need it
You do not want to shoot Full House 357s. I shot one round of 158 grain 357 through it and that was plenty enough for me. They're a little bit pricey but boy are they nice. Good luck I hope you find what you're looking for just my suggestion. PS I am 73 and in very poor physical shape.

·
Registered
48 Posts
This may be nearing the limits of pocket carry depending on your size, but if you’re of larger stature and could pocket a Sig P365 it would be worth a look. I’m only 5’8” and 185 so I carry mine IWB. But it’s fairly small and has good capacity. I’ve got around 1300rds through mine without a malfunction.

·
Registered
951 Posts
Yea, I turned it in for an SR22 that already needs to go back to Ruger from damage caused by dry firing; even though the manual claims it is safe to do so, and encourages it for practice.
You need to install a counter on your trigger just to see how many trigger clicks it takes to kill it, lol Might be interesting.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I carry an EC9S in cargo pants and shorts. I also have an LCPII that I use when I am wearing pants that are less pocket carry friendly. I put a Hogue grip on it and also use the finger grip extension floorplate. The gun is a little more pleasant to shoot.

·
Registered
9 Posts
This is my hot weather carry, and it's hot a lot here. All of about 7 oz loaded. Generally, 380 produces about the same FP as 22 mag. From experimentation with the Black Widow and the longer barrelled Mini Master, I can tell you that these little pistols are inherently accurate, but practice is necessary to develop the hold and trigger control. Also, very safe. With the hammer down and in it's cylinder slot, I could pound on it with a hammer and nothing would happen.

IMG_6302 by Robert Copple, on Flickr

IMG_6298 by Robert Copple, on Flickr
I love that holster where did you get it?

·
Registered
24 Posts
I'm almost 70...I hike and bicycle....I carry a LC9s but I need that pocket gun when warm is here. I wear t-shirt and shorts. I need small but power too. I got rid of my LCP....and I lean toward the LCP ll.....but lets hear Ruger People say....my hands and wrists hurt plenty....
I am also just short of 70. I generally carry a larger handgun (Security-9) and sometimes a good old SAA revolver. But I like a backup and my LCP has never failed. However, when I worked in an office that was “no guns” my primary had to be smaller. I have a Kahr CM9 9mm that fit that role nicely. It also has never failed. The only drawback is the slide is tough to rack... not a problem for me (yet?) but could be for others. I also frequently carry my Ruger LCRx in 38 Special with Remington Golden Saber +P ammo.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I'm almost 70...I hike and bicycle....I carry a LC9s but I need that pocket gun when warm is here. I wear t-shirt and shorts. I need small but power too. I got rid of my LCP....and I lean toward the LCP ll.....but lets hear Ruger People say....my hands and wrists hurt plenty....
I like the Diamondback .380 and a Kel-Tec .32 ACP.. Both small, light, and reliable. The .32 weighs almost nothing, even fully loaded!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Looks like you have received a bunch of advice from all the so-called "gurus" of CCW. I am 78 with severe arthritis in my back and hands. A life long shooter, I used mainly 44s and 45s, but finally went to a Ruger LCR in .38, and then to a SIG P238 in 380. I still use the .380 with Hydrashocks in the fall and winter, but it gets kind of heavy here just north of San Antonio Texas in the summer. I usually wear thin shorts (commando) and light tees all the time from May - Sep. Kind of hard concealing with those outfits. Recently, I obtained an NAA Pug in 22 Mag and a kydex 'tortilla' neck holster from Amazon. Problem solved! Even with my gut, you can't tell its there. Now unless you plan on being set upon by a band of bullet-proof dudes with ARs, I think the Pug will do fine. I think a lot of gun gurus are a little on the paranoid side and are looking for world's end scenarios. A good line to use with my little 22 is "I may not kill ya right off, but I'll damn sure put ya in the hospital!" Regards, and remember.....gettin old sucks!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I like the Ruger LCR in 38 special. Carries comfortably in a pocket holster or on the belt. Charter Arms Undercvover is also vey small, affordable and easy to tote. The undercvover works in most holsters sized for a S&W model 36.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I have a standard LCP and it's definitely not the gun you want to shoot all day at the range but it's an admirable carry piece. For carry an easy solution is cargo shorts. The gun fit's perfectly in mine, in a pocket holster, without printing. The recoil can be managed a few ways. While I'm sure it's not recommended you can swap out the recoil spring for a stiffer one. Definitely softens the recoil but makes it extremely hard to rack the slide. After a day at the range trying it out I had no failures but put the OEM spring back in due to the hard racking (the original LCP doesn't lock open after the last shot. Another solution is to get the Hogue grip for the LCP assuming they make one for the LCP II. Works great on the original. Finally I started carrying Ruger ARX defense ammo. Will not help when practicing with standard ammo but is very soft shooting and gets good reviews on YouTube.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Save your money, keep the LC9s, it is a great carry weapon for older folks. I am 77 and have had a LC9s Pro with a Crimson Trace laser sight for 5 years, I live in HOT Sun City, AZ, wear shorts, and tuck in my tee shirt, plus am over weight (OK fat) so I carry concealed using a Sneaky Pete holster, the ballistic nylon model. I really like this holster and people just think it is a cell phone holder. Holds gun very well, draws fast when training, and comfortable. Also I shoot 115 grain FMJ for practice and range time, I carry with 115 grain Hornady Critical Defense, a little less recoil smack with the smaller bullets...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Have you looked at some of the pants and shorts that have holsters built in? At least one manufacturer has the weight of the gun not carried by the pocket materials but rather by a built-in sleeve that goes around the leg. Your leg simply slips thru the sleeve as your put the shorts on. The gun goes into a built-in holster where it is held securely, even when running. They have extra material inside the pocket but facing the public so no one can tell that you have a pistol or revolver in the pocket.
I am getting my very first gun soon and feel that for me, these pants and shorts offer the best way to do concealed carry with the pistol FWIW, I will be buying shortly, a Ruger Mark IV 22/45 Lite 22LR. My shoulder's torn rotator cuff was repaired as much as possible but it still can't handle the recoil of anything but a 22.

In closing, I have not used those shorts or slacks yet so take what I say with a grain or two of two of salt.

Concealed Carry Shorts/
DELTA CARGO

____

My Kimber K6S works in cargo shorts with a pocket holster, but I need a heavy gun belt. Then I don't even notice the gun is there. Luckily, Daltech steel-cores work all year round and would hold up a T-34 tank. They'd be fine for a lighter gun like the Glock or some of the other guns suggested.

21 - 40 of 65 Posts